Are you a Mystic?

Discussions on the nature of being, existence, reality and knowledge. What is? How do we know?

Are you a Mystic?

Postby Alan McDougall on May 12th, 2017, 12:58 pm 

Are you a mystic and you did not know it

A mystic is one who, above all else in life, desires to know, not in the intellectual sense of knowing, the deepest Truth of existence. A mystic is one who senses more to life than making a living or being of service in the world although these things are both necessary and good. The mystic, however, is looking beyond an exclusive or preoccupied focus on these survival or self-actualization to something more.

He is looking to discover the deepest truth of our being as incarnate souls; to understand our greatest potential as reflections of God; to realize our wholeness within the ground of all. The primary interest in life for the mystic is to discover truth, to know God; to see into mans whole nature. The mystic sees all of life as an abundant opportunity to discover, realize, and express the Divine.

Mysticism springs from an insatiable curiosity for understanding the essential questions of life: matters of God, creation, the infinite and the human potential for knowing truth. The mystic is in reality the ultimate scientist who, looking beyond the apparent or obvious in all matters, asks, "Is this that I am seeing reality or the illusions that stem from fear?" "What existed before this sense of reality?"

"What existed before my mental constructs, my beliefs, my self identity?" "Who is this that observes and is self-reflecting?" "What is at life's very source?"

Mysticism: Why it’s so often misunderstood

Mysticism is terrifically misunderstood by mainstream culture. It always has been. Many people incorrectly think mysticism is some kind of odd occult or a mystic someone who studies magic or renounces life and goes off to live in a cave. Nothing could be further from the truth.

The reason this has often been confused though is not so surprising. The mystic is one who undergoes a radical shift in conscious understanding and that often looks, sounds, or seems very mysterious to our accustomed ways of thinking and being.

The mystic consciously enters into the sacred journey that all the world's great religions speak of in various ways. Some call it becoming awakened, enlightened, or born again. It is an inner journey that requires a deconstruction of the conditioned illusions of separation so that the true freedom of living can emerge.

It is the true meaning of being born anew. It is the process and realization of letting die our stale and conditioned habits and beliefs so that we may live in the fullness of each new moment of creation. It is the understanding that conditioned patterns, belief systems, and memory are not living, but dead moments already. It is the realization that true living can only be lived in a freedom that moves with the current of creation, forever open to each moment teaming with new potential.

To let go the illusions of ego identity and stand naked before our true original nature, often requires a removing of oneself from typical ways of living and thinking at least for a time. In the sacred literature, this is often referred to as entering the wilderness, facing the dark night of the soul, annihilation of the ego, or dying to oneself to be born again. It is a process of fundamental transformation of conscious understanding that the mystic takes on.

The journey it takes to successfully deconstruct the layers of conditioning that block true awareness, and what emerges from this inner journey of realization or awakening can often look and sound very mysterious, if not down right confusing, to the uninitiated and linear mind. But in truth it is the deepest meaning upon which all the world's great religions have their original foundation.

It is the journey to discovering and experiencing direct relationship with/as God or the source of all creation. It is each individual soul coming to directly know itself within the divine. It is the fulfillment of our purpose, "I and my father are one."
Alan McDougall

Re: Are you a Mystic?

Postby DragonFly on May 12th, 2017, 1:13 pm 

The mystic, such as Rumi, errs right off of the bat in presuming a Divine/God as fact, and so goes on to deceive himself and others by adding more "maybe" structure stated as fact to the original "Maybe". Same with all manner of preachers.

Nevertheless, I still wrote a worded pictorial about Rumi's sayings to sum up mysticism since it's useful to know how and what people arrive at:

https://austintorney.wordpress.com/2014/12/11/a-meeting-with-rumi-art-scapes-poem-and-video/
DragonFly
Resident Member

Postby Heavy_Water on May 12th, 2017, 1:35 pm 

Do you think an atheist with a science background can be a mystic? I am curious.

Could, say, a Richard Dawkins be a mystic? I think, yes. He and his sort seem to fit the qualifications for mystic that you listed.

I agree with your definition, btw. The term often is misconstrued in today's world. It is in a way like the word "Spirituality" or spiritual experience. Many folks mistakenly confuse that with religion. Or think it necessitates a belief in gods. Or the paranormal.

I personally do not agree with this. I can have a spiritual experience trail running. Or eating a sweet juicy peach.

Cheers.
Heavy_Water
Banned User

Postby mitchellmckain on May 13th, 2017, 2:21 am 

There seems to be many definitions of Mysticism and the above sound to me like the declarations of a particular religion especially the whole "poor misunderstood us" theme.

For theists, "mysticism" has mostly been about seeking a oneness with God.

For one strain of philosophical thought, "mysticism" was about transcending the limitations of rationalism.

For William James and many psychologists, "mysticism" was about the types of experiences which inspire religious patterns of behavior.

What about me? Am I a mystic?

I don't have much interest in theistic mysticism or in mystical experiences. But I do believe examining and confronting the limitations of rationalistic thinking.
mitchellmckain

Postby Alan McDougall on May 14th, 2017, 3:54 am 

Heavy_Water » May 12th, 2017, 7:35 pm wrote:Do you think an atheist with a science background can be a mystic? I am curious.

Could, say, a Richard Dawkins be a mystic? I think, yes. He and his sort seem to fit the qualifications for mystic that you listed.

I agree with your definition, btw. The term often is misconstrued in today's world. It is in a way like the word "Spirituality" or spiritual experience. Many folks mistakenly confuse that with religion. Or think it necessitates a belief in gods. Or the paranormal.

I personally do not agree with this. I can have a spiritual experience trail running. Or eating a sweet juicy peach.

Cheers.

I think Richard Dawkins would be horrified to be taken as a mystic.
Alan McDougall

Postby BadgerJelly on May 14th, 2017, 11:59 am 

I would say I am a non-practicing shaman who accidently induced a state of altered consciousness and then purposefully induced one after the first. Not tried to go there again yet, so maybe I am a shaman in stasis? XD haha
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Return to Metaphysics & Epistemology