I'm picking up good vibrations: consciousness, that is.

Discussions on the nature of being, existence, reality and knowledge. What is? How do we know?

I'm picking up good vibrations: consciousness, that is.

Postby TheVat on December 14th, 2018, 12:15 pm 

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/ob ... tions-man/

Neuroscience theory that builds on a David Chalmers sort of panpsychism - all matter is a little bit conscious. But when you get neuronal resonance, then it goes macro scale.

Fire up the bong, man.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Watson liked this post

Re: I'm picking up good vibrations: consciousness, that is.

Postby Watson on December 14th, 2018, 5:55 pm 

It is a framework that gives a bit of credence to the notion that forests are alive. Not consciously aware, but maybe sympathetically attuned.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science- ... 180968084/
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.
TheVat liked this post

Postby Dave_C on December 14th, 2018, 11:03 pm 

Plants and similar organisms we generally don't attribute any kind of subjective experience to are increasingly talked about in such terms. Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un2yBgIAxYs

Lots of other stuff.

Is this evidence for panpsychism? I've never heard a good explanation of how it is that particles, atoms, molecules or whatever can have some tiny bit of phenomenal experience but when in an aggregate, the totality seems to produce a singular experience. If each of those tiny bits are having some random bit of experience, then it seems implausible that a large aggregate can somehow, accidentally produce a singular experience - the kind of experience humans experience.

If the hippies were right and it's all some sort of 'vibration' then we've not identified what specifically that vibration is. Can it be mechanical, electrical or some electro-chemical interaction that produces some resonance? I don't see an answer in the Sci-Am article. And if it's any of those, regardless of what kind of vibration, then why would some subjective experience accompany that vibration? If there's a subjective experience that's produced by and supervenes on this vibration, how would we know? When the objectively observable phenomenon of resonance (which is obviously calculable regardless of what drives this vibration) occurs for whatever reason, how can we know that a phenomenal experience accompanies this vibration? If we believe there's some sort of 1 to 1 correlation between this vibration and some phenomenal experience, then clearly, there's a reason for the resonance, but no reason to contend there's another phenomenon which accompanies it and no reason to suggest we can know anything about it - it's an epiphenomenon. We have no need to talk about some epiphenomenon because it makes no difference, but worse yet, we can't even know that it exists because there's a complete, physical explanation of the objectively observable phenomenon which doesn't require any sort of subjective component which requires explainng.
Dave_C

TheVat liked this post

Postby BadgerJelly on December 15th, 2018, 12:21 am 

Dave -

I pretty much agree. Most people who adhere to the idea of panpsychism tend to pretent religious/mystical attitudes. I’ve yet to anything of real physical substance to this idea.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby -1- on December 15th, 2018, 9:41 am 

Dave_C » December 14th, 2018, 11:03 pm wrote:Plants and similar organisms we generally don't attribute any kind of subjective experience to are increasingly talked about in such terms. Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un2yBgIAxYs

Lots of other stuff.

It's been proven, such as by the above example, that talking about phenomena, the unexplained, the unreachable, the undead, the other side, increases the probability that they are real, tangible, in-your-face and, surprisingly, edible.

Examples of talked-about things that fit the above bill: cosmic vibration, ether, life-force, spirit world, warlocks, a balanced budget, vampires, and -1-.
-1-

Postby TheVat on December 15th, 2018, 11:59 am 

Clarification - the OP link is from SciAm blog, which isn't the magazine. And may not meet their editorial standards.

If anyone can find more detailed papers on the theory, please don't hesitate to post the. After today, my time will be very limited here.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby sponge on December 31st, 2018, 6:10 pm 

TheVat » December 15th, 2018, 10:59 am wrote:Clarification - the OP link is from SciAm blog, which isn't the magazine. And may not meet their editorial standards.

If anyone can find more detailed papers on the theory, please don't hesitate to post the. After today, my time will be very limited here.

The scientific paper by Tam Hunt of California University:
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... on_Problem
lays out a well-reasoned theory which concludes that resonance coherence is an explanation for consciousness.

He argues that information is interchangeable with experience and thus consciousness and is shared by all matter through vibrations and harmonic resonance. The paper is well researched and worth a read imo.
sponge

Return to Metaphysics & Epistemology