What is the Role of Fundamentality?

Discussions on the nature of being, existence, reality and knowledge. What is? How do we know?

What is the Role of Fundamentality?

Postby Keep_Relentless on November 1st, 2019, 5:18 am 

I've spent my whole life of interest in philosophy driven by a need to determine what is most fundamental: most fundamental questions, most fundamental topics, most fundamental entities, most fundamental values, most fundamental beliefs.

Then I come across this article on SEP on Fundamentality which details how the existence of a set of fundamental entities is an assumption that is open to being challenged (by metaphysical coherentism or infinitism), and how there are various competing definitions for what fundamentality is and what its associated concepts are.

I guess I'm having a bit of a rant because of how metaphysics seems to run in circles... haha. I hadn't previously imagined a metaphysics contrary to metaphysical foundationalism.
Keep_Relentless

Re: What is the Role of Fundamentality?

Postby charon on November 1st, 2019, 11:57 am 

All the isms you mention aren't fundamental. No ism is. Fundamental means of central importance, the crux or basis of an issue, and an issue must be real for it to have any significance in life.

The questions of love, death, suffering, and so on, or even if there is God or not, are fundamental and they aren't solved by isms.

Those thinkers who believe their theories and concepts have any fundamental significance in life are wrong. When death comes no theory on earth is going to help them!
charon

Re: What is the Role of Fundamentality?

Postby TheVat on November 1st, 2019, 1:25 pm 

It is very helpful to read KR's article from SEP. Philosophy, like many disciplines, often has highly specific and specialized meanings that it assigns to the terms it uses.

I know that physics has included theories that challenge metaphysical foundationalism, like bundle theories, in which "things" or substances are not the basis of reality but rather bundles of properties. It's a much-challenged notion that stretches from Hume to current thinkers like Derek Parfit.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Return to Metaphysics & Epistemology