Ideas for a new world

This is a forum for discussing philosophical theories of government and social structure. It is not a venue for partisan rants or plugging favored candidates.

Ideas for a new world

Postby wyattgagar on May 19th, 2017, 1:25 pm 

So I've been researching options like the Venus project and I think Jacque Fresco is heading in the right general direction but there are some important things that he is leaving out of his design. I don't feel like there is enough emphasis on culture, or human choices. His ideal government leaves everything up to computers, and leaves humans to just wander and not have much say in the going ons of society. So I got to thinking, what if the government was based off of a networked computer program where everyone could vote about whatever they wanted to vote about? In order to vote about a particular subject you would be required to read an article or watch an iformational video about the subject. Anyone could post an idea about whatever they like and other people could vote on the subject. Obviously this is a very rough outline, but I think it has potential if we put some brains into it. I'll be thinking of other things I think we could implement into a government, and I would love to hear everyone else's ideas.
Last edited by wyattgagar on May 19th, 2017, 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wyattgagar
Forum Neophyte

Re: Ideas for a new world

Postby wyattgagar on May 19th, 2017, 1:46 pm 

https://www.thevenusproject.com
Jacque Fresco is the founder of the project. His goal is to create a world based on scientific advancement, enhanced quality of life for all humans equally, and to restore/ preserve nature.
wyattgagar
Forum Neophyte

Postby wyattgagar on May 19th, 2017, 3:12 pm 

I wholeheartedly believe that humans are now capable of moving past the monetary system. Having a material incentive for work is no longer efficient when the materials are controlled by a few private institutions and idividuals. Every human has an equal right to everything this gift called earth has to offer. I think making all material things available to people free of cost can be a great step towards humanity advancing into the next age. One without war, hunger, or poverty. The earth is more than capable of producing enough resources for every man woman and child to live comfortably, if we only managed the resources intelligently. I believe this is the main issue Jacque Fresco was trying to solve with his Venus project.
wyattgagar
Forum Neophyte

Postby Eclogite on May 20th, 2017, 6:24 am 

Some counter thoughts:

The problem with having people vote on just about everything is that it leads to such things as Brexit and a Trump presidency.

Does someone who makes a massive contribution to the cultural and material wealth of the world through dedication and exhaustive effort really deserve no more than a lazy ne'er-do-well?

Are you intending to first eliminate the sociopaths and the greedy? As long as they are around fair distribution will be impossible.
Eclogite
Forum Moderator

Postby Serpent on May 20th, 2017, 5:35 pm 

wyattgagar » May 19th, 2017, 12:25 pm wrote: So I got to thinking, what if the government was based off of a networked computer program where everyone could vote about whatever they wanted to vote about? In order to vote about a particular subject you would be required to read an article or watch an iformational video about the subject. Anyone could post an idea about whatever they like and other people could vote on the subject.

The question is, what happens next?
Seems to me, a single article and video will make nobody an expert on such matters as intercontinental transportation or deep sea diving. That's one problem: simple responses to complex problems rarely produce good results.
The second problem is: in a precisely co-ordinated system of resource management, energy generation, production and distribution, piecemeal voting on local or momentary issues might easily disrupt the entire operation.

On the other hand, there is no reason to assume that the Venus model would preclude cultural and social development in each community. There is no reason you can't get together with as many of your co-habitants as you like to organize whatever activities you like, or rearrange your living-space, or whatever seems to need change - just so long as you're not pissing in anybody's water supply.

I also don't see any reason why, if the people are dissatisfied with some aspect of how things are run, they can't input complaints, ideas and suggestions - informally, any time, without calling it a vote. If enough [critical mass to be determined by population size] citizens objected to something or desired a change, the computer would consider the matter, calculate the cost and effect of making the desired change, then work out the most efficient and least disruptive method of achieving it. That's like democracy, only without the waste and corruption. Also without the hoopla and emotional turmoil, but you can't have everything!
Serpent
Resident Member

Return to Political Theory