Car Horns

This is a forum for discussing philosophical theories of government and social structure. It is not a venue for partisan rants or plugging favored candidates.

Re: Car Horns

Postby Mjr Houlihan on December 19th, 2015, 2:26 am 

That's a relief,
incredibly tempting though and an enjoyable fantasy but glad you were not thinking of taking her on. You'd almost certainly lose and that's a compliment by the way.

Public awareness ideas, oh boy! this pattern of thinking is exactly the same road we're on. this sort of situation compels you to think like that and we have a ton of similar ideas. It's a big subject and not for now but in summary I recently concluded that the social sciences haven't yet had their day in public consciousness in the way that psychology has and the sooner that day comes, the better. Awareness changes things. This last decade you couldn't pick up a newspaper or magazine, turn on the radio or TV without there being a psychology item on it and that enabled the entire population to be more sensitive to peoples needs, improved education, work place environments, relationships, tolerance towards minority groups and so on. If the population became aware of social dynamics, they'd start to notice them in their own environment in the same way and in particular how decisions are made. For a start, I can recommend the book 'Group Think' by Irving Janis.
http://www.psysr.org/about/pubs_resourc ... erview.htm

thumbs up indeed + smiley face emoticon
Mjr Houlihan

Postby zetreque on May 7th, 2016, 5:29 pm 

Brand new noise pollution petition just posted. Please consider signing it! Needs 150 signatures before it will go into public view.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov//petit ... d-relaxing
short url: https://wh.gov/iooac

If a petition gets enough support, the Obama Administration will issue an official response.

Thank You!
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)
SciameriKen liked this post

Postby d30 on May 12th, 2016, 7:15 pm 

zetreque » June 24th, 2015, 8:23 pm wrote:Am I the only person sensitive to car horns?

After 3 pages of posts, a search indicates no one has yet mentioned Schopenhauer. If it's any consolation, Zetreque, the pretty well known philosopher, Schopenhauer intensely believed the more intelligent, or at least the more intellectual, the more bothered you are by noise.

He wrote that Kant, Goethe and others complained about it, and Schopenhauer claimed many other intellects would have too, had the opportunity presented itself. (see below if you want to read more about it - a lot more; you get many results/"hits")**

Are you also disturbed by other loud or piercing noises? (But even neighbors' ongoing chatter bothered Schopenhauer too.)

What about others at this chat forum? - Does such bother you too? (Do seem to be a lot of intelligent people here.)

** FOR MORE ABOUT SCHOPENHAUER AND NOISE:

Go to google.com and enter the following search phrase (as many know, do it exactly, careful to include the ALL CAPS "AND" [Boolean search] operator, though often instead of using an "AND," depending on the Web search site, you can just type a space between the word Schopenhauer and the word noise; otherwise, enter the following): Schopenhauer AND noise.
d30

zetreque liked this post

Postby Braininvat on May 12th, 2016, 7:39 pm 

The "and" is not needed. Most search engines presume it for their first listed results.

At SPCF, it's usually not necessary to advise googling. If you don't have a specific link, it's sufficient to say Schopie wrote about noise, and our smart curious folk will easily search it. Unless you are making a specific point, which would call for posting a link. My opinion is everyone is bothered by noise, but those who are articulate and lack cultural constraints on personal complaint are more likely to express their discomfort. As for intellectuals, I would hypothesize that any group that values pastimes which thrive on quietude (reading, writing, reflecting) is more averse to noise.

Z, I will sign the petition ASAP.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby zetreque on May 13th, 2016, 12:45 am 

Thank you all who have signed the petition. It's halfway to my goal of 150 signatures which are the most important signatures. Every person I talk to is 100% willing to sign it once they hear me explain the issue.

Thanks for the info d30. I will check it out. The thing about noise is... Noise is defined as unwanted sound. Sounds can be wanted or unwanted so if you are in the situation that doesn't want a particular sound then it is defined as noise.

A curious thing is that I think when a person is making sound him/herself it's not nearly as bothersome, but when someone else is making a sound it has a higher potential to be bothersome. This is because in many situations it's not expected to someone else. The person making the sound is signaling their fingers or feet from their brain to motion to make the sound and is 100% expected.

What it comes down to is culture. A culture where people can appreciate that others exist in the world and might not want to be subjected to their sounds. Things like a concert, party or other group event, everyone is there to enjoy the event and share in the experience so that's different from a person who lives next door to a party and wasn't invited or has a different life and doesn't want the sound. But we all need to have freedom to live our lives too so being civil is acknowledging that we have the right to make sounds and have events but also not over do it. Like it's one thing to have a party every once in a while and notify your neighbors or invite them, and its another thing to have an unexpected party every night.

That's just one example that came out typing this post. Sound is a complicated topic. We need to find ways to keep and maintain our freedoms, but balance it out. We should have the freedom to make sound, but also have the freedom to enjoy nature and quiet. It just comes back to being civil and aware of others and your surroundings.

I am discovering that it's a social justice topic. People in the lower class are subjected to more noise than wealthy people and it dominos out from there since noise contributes to health problems, lack of sleep and lower worker productivity.

I am learning a lot through this. I have been attending monthly airport meetings in a neighboring town hearing about how they are trying to mitigate noise. I think passage of this legislation is a good thing as it will help in tremendous ways. It will help mitigate sounds in society that airports and local towns are burdened financially dealing with how to mitigate unnecessary noise in their ordinances. Having a federal department that assists the public/private sector in how to create a more relaxing environment is a good idea since airports and local companies are burdened with figuring out how to deal with noise technologies and issues each on their own separately. Sounds coming in from major corporations making products and sometimes exported from over seas.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Previous

Return to Political Theory