Petition: Reduce Marijuana status as schedule I drug

This is a forum for discussing philosophical theories of government and social structure. It is not a venue for partisan rants or plugging favored candidates.

Re: Petition: Reduce Marijuana status as schedule I drug

Postby someguy1 on April 7th, 2019, 8:43 pm 

TheVat » March 30th, 2019, 8:34 am wrote:https://www.fda.gov/newsevents/newsroom/pressannouncements/ucm611046.htm

I was referring to this.

Gummy bears, yes, that's a fad. They also put it in shampoo. Also faddish.

We seemed to have been talking past each other.

Kim and Kanye are having a CBD-themed baby shower.

Still want to argue that CBD's not a fad?

Many people surely derive medical benefit from smoking weed. A lot more just like to get high. I myself don't care which. That's a more radical position than those who say it should be legalized as a "medicine" and use that as a reason. I say smoke whatever brand you like, and we already have laws against impaired driving so don't do that.

In other words I am not one of those medical purists who looks down on stoners. In that respect I agree more with some of the critics of medical marijuana, who claim it's only an excuse to get high. To which I respond, "You say that like it's a bad thing!"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/all ... 394716002/
someguy1

Postby someguy1 on April 17th, 2019, 6:29 pm 

Carl's Jr. selling CBD-infused burger on 4/20.

DENVER — Carl’s Jr. will become the first quick-service restaurant to introduce a CBD-infused menu item.

The Rocky Mountain High: CheeseBurger Delight (CBD) will be available for one day only on Saturday, April 20.

The Rocky Mountain High features "two 100% charbroiled beef patties paired with Carl’s Jr. signature Santa Fe Sauce infused with CBD, pickled jalapeños, pepper jack cheese, and Crisscut fries to give the burger the extra crunch – all between a premium bun," according to Carl’s Jr.

The cheeseburger will be sold at one Carl’s Jr. restaurant location at 4050 Colorado Boulevard in Denver beginning at 6 a.m. through close (or while supplies last). The Rocky Mountain High: CheeseBurger Delight will be sold $4.20.

https://www.9news.com/article/life/food ... 3930451620

Not a fad. It's medicine. Sure.
someguy1

Postby someguy1 on May 13th, 2019, 3:37 pm 

Just saw this, adding to the evidence that CBD is a trendy fad. From liberal Slate:

What Does CBD Do? Mostly, It’s Just Expensive.

The cannabinoid compound probably isn’t harmful, and it may have health benefits, but we don’t know what they are yet.

https://slate.com/human-interest/2019/0 ... e_taps_top
someguy1

Postby Forest_Dump on May 13th, 2019, 8:56 pm 

personally I prefer it to alcohol and wish a lot of others did too. I have had to deal with too many drunks who attackedthe wife and/or kids. Pot heads just tend to attack the fridge.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Postby edy420 on May 14th, 2019, 3:08 am 

Anything popular will be turned into a fad.

But the medicinal use has been used for literally thousands of years. It's regular consumption is not a fad.
edy420

Postby PaulN on May 14th, 2019, 11:34 am 

Yes. There is clear evidence CBD helps with seizure disorders. And growing evidence it can treat inflammatory disorders like arthritis. And it's not "pot" - i.e. it's not psychoactive, though the faddists do seem to think it does something. But the fat part should not obscure its real medicinal value for physiological ailments. SG's argument seems to rest on the fact that SOME people, in full Gwyneth Paltrow mode, do make faddish claims and hype it. That is no way makes the substance itself a "fad."

People turned beta blockers into a fad, for a while, as a remedy for stage fright. That doesn't mean the beta blockers don't do real things for, e.g., hypertensives. I think that was the point that Edy, Vat, and others made earlier. SG, you seem to want to really nail down your assertion, like it's an EITHER/OR situation. But, with respect, CBD as a medicine is not and will not be a fad.
PaulN

Postby SciameriKen on May 14th, 2019, 12:58 pm 

As far as I know CBD is being seriously considered as an anti-epilepsy drug (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29981580). I see Someguy's point and agree CBD is a bit of a fad, much akin to some of the supplement fads. Not sure what the overall point is though? Are we not allowed to get excited about things anymore?
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby someguy1 on May 14th, 2019, 2:04 pm 

SciameriKen » May 14th, 2019, 10:58 am wrote:As far as I know CBD is being seriously considered as an anti-epilepsy drug (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29981580). I see Someguy's point and agree CBD is a bit of a fad, much akin to some of the supplement fads. Not sure what the overall point is though? Are we not allowed to get excited about things anymore?

Oh that's a fair question. I'm just poking at the hype. I support legalization of weed and if someone wants to try CBD for their aching joints or their mood or whatever, I'm all for it. Meanwhile how about some serious double-blind studies? That's would bring science to bear on the question. Or would that be bringing science to gummy bear?
someguy1

SciameriKen liked this post

Postby edy420 on May 15th, 2019, 1:06 am 

I haven't followed this topic in a while, but I believe it's still illegal by federal law(US). This makes it a real pain for scientific research.. as in it's near impossible.

Though my government claims NZ will legalise recreation use in 2020. Meaning we may actually get some real study done on the medicinal front. Ironically NZ government claims to make tobacco illegal in 2020..

I wonder what all the cigarette smokers will turn to when their product is illegal, and cannabis is legalised, Hmmmm..
edy420

Postby WasupDude on July 15th, 2019, 9:34 am 

People better stop arguing on these theme.
There are people that like and agree pots/weed and people that dislike weed and pots.
I am not against weed, because people should know how to use it but everything has a limit, you have to control it, what most people don't do.
I can argue all the day long about.
PEACE!
WasupDude
Forum Neophyte

Previous

Return to Political Theory