Who's supporting Clinton?

This is a forum for discussing philosophical theories of government and social structure. It is not a venue for partisan rants or plugging favored candidates.

Re: Who's supporting Clinton?

Postby SciameriKen on March 27th, 2016, 4:25 pm 

Natural ChemE » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:41 pm wrote:zetreque,

Wikipedia's characterization makes it sound like the Democratic party's pretty explicitly stated that superdelegates are under no obligation to concur with the popular vote; apparently their ability to deviate from the popular vote is exactly why they're there in the first place.

That said, it also sounds like superdelegates can change their votes before the election despite their pledges, so it's possible that some may do so even if not required to.

The super delegates are party "officials", which could be Representatives, governors, and DNC higher up committee members. According to your Wikipedia page, Bill Clinton is a super delegates, so I don't think his vote is changing.

Their purpose is to make sure a grass roots candidate that really doesn't have a chance of winning in the general election doesn't get the nod. It is highly unlikely however that they would vote against the people since we know who they are and we could turn against them in the next, or in some cases current election.

The reason why super delegates are included in Clintons and Bernie's total however is because the press polled these guys and got a preliminary vote so to speak. It's annoying because the way the main stream press is using this is like an endorsement Clinton gets and we have to hear it over and over again anytime we get the delegate counts.

Does the 57% that Sanders needs take into account the super delegates?
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby Natural ChemE on March 27th, 2016, 5:23 pm 

SciameriKen » March 27th, 2016, 3:25 pm wrote:Does the 57% that Sanders needs take into account the super delegates?

Naw, it goes up to 67% if we include superdelegates.
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Postby zetreque on March 27th, 2016, 8:29 pm 

I read a statistic yesterday something about half the world population being below the age of 30. That got me to thinking just how important it is for young people to vote in our country so I looked up age demographics just now.
The US isn't as wide at the bottom as a lot of countries on the age pyramid but there are a good chunk of 20 year olds that need to vote because it's their future at stake. It keeps being talked about that this is the audience that Bernie is appealing to with free education. Personally I think the idea of putting money into education is great (paid for by taxing the rich :). I think it's a great idea because this country needs a lot more education to keep us from making poor choices of leaders and policy. Going to school is a full time job and if you have to work a full time job you don't learn that much in school. I see it on a daily basis. Kids graduating with an B.S. degree that didn't learn anything because they just got D's while working and then playing and then putting their spare time after that into learning. All while going into debt big time. To bring people up to speed on the latest science we need more education available to the general public. We need more educated people to not only keep us out of disaster but solve a lot of the problems left over by the previous generations. It's this audience I really hope shows up to caucus in NY and CA in the coming days!

zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)
SciameriKen liked this post

Postby ronjanec on March 27th, 2016, 9:40 pm 

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-cli ... story.html Another step closer...

(I had a high security clearance when I was in the Army, and to this day I am still afraid to talk about the dead alien bodies that we had locked away in the "X area". Ok, I was just kidding about the dead alien bodies part, but it was still something(s) very scary!)
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby ronjanec on March 29th, 2016, 5:31 pm 

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-el ... 16-n546966 "The Bern" is really gaining ground! Could we be seeing the rise of the angry young Millennials?

And even more important, will they actually take the time to stop "texting" for a few minutes to vote for their new hero? Stay tuned.
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby ronjanec on March 29th, 2016, 5:44 pm 

http://www.theamericanmirror.com/hillar ... over-says/ And some here dare to question my love for "the Drudge Report"!

Why are the networks not running with her story like they do with the people who say really bad things about Donald Trump and Ted Cruz? This would be really great for the ratings right? Never mind.
Last edited by ronjanec on March 29th, 2016, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby mtbturtle on March 29th, 2016, 6:03 pm 

ron,
you do realize you are engaging in what you said you opposed don't you? Drudge is a racist rag, you should not want to be associated with it.
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby TheVat on March 29th, 2016, 6:28 pm 

Why are the networks not running with her story like they do with the people ....

Because the "story" you linked appears to be nothing but slanders unsupported by evidence? Say what you will about mainstream news sources, they do try mightily to not get sued for libel. So, most likely, if Hilary were a lesbian trollop who has had many abortions (I had a bit of trouble getting those factoids to dovetail together, as you might be able to imagine....), the MSM would have to unearth medical records, personal testimony, recorded conversations, photo evidence, etc. before they could confidently dismantle the Good Wife.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby mtbturtle on March 29th, 2016, 7:39 pm 

ronjanec » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:36 pm/ wrote:Yes, I can definitely see why this would not do it for you personally SK: But I still think that this would be a great move for the Democratic Party to capture all the votes of the many other people who basically just vote for who they like the most each election, and with Bernie still around, some of his personal magnetism and popularity could only help the not very personable and somewhat dour Hillary just by association.

And for what I believe is another good reason to do this: With Bernie completely out of the race, many of his democrat voting under 30 year old voters may not even bother to vote in the November presidential election, and this could end up costing her the election in a close race.

dour Hillary? shame on you Ron.
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby zetreque on March 29th, 2016, 7:57 pm 

What's the deal with google and websites not reporting the full delegate count of Washington?

http://www.politico.com/2016-election/r ... /president

25 sanders, 19 clinton and 7 uncommitted does not add up to 101 or 118 whichever source you go to.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby ronjanec on March 29th, 2016, 8:06 pm 

mtbturtle » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:03 pm wrote:ron,
you do realize you are engaging in what you said you opposed don't you? Drudge is a racist rag, you should not want to be associated with it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drudge_Report Racist? I really don't think you understand what the Drudge Report is really about mtbturtle.

Dour? Well, she does seem to have that really severe look on her face when she is not campaigning. And also has a very harsh or abrupt way about her when she is interviewed by someone who questions her about something she is uncomfortable about. And I bet she is actually like this off camera(or at least according her former secret service detail)
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby mtbturtle on March 29th, 2016, 8:11 pm 

ronjanec » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:06 pm wrote:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drudge_Report Racist? I really don't think you understand what the Drudge Report is really about mtbturtle.

Dour? Well, she does seem to have that really severe look on her face when she is not campaigning. And also has a very harsh or abrupt way about her when she is interviewed by someone who questions her about something she is uncomfortable about. And I bet she is actually like this off camera(or at least according her former secret service detail)

Yes Ron, Racist. Drudge is about sensationalism, insults, degrading political discourse, I think I understand it well enough.

Since when are looks something you should be politically commenting on? Shall we talk about Don's little penis next as we seek to elevate the discourse?
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby ronjanec on March 29th, 2016, 8:14 pm 

Braininvat » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:28 pm wrote:
Why are the networks not running with her story like they do with the people ....

Because the "story" you linked appears to be nothing but slanders unsupported by evidence? Say what you will about mainstream news sources, they do try mightily to not get sued for libel. So, most likely, if Hilary were a lesbian trollop who has had many abortions (I had a bit of trouble getting those factoids to dovetail together, as you might be able to imagine....), the MSM would have to unearth medical records, personal testimony, recorded conversations, photo evidence, etc. before they could confidently dismantle the Good Wife.

If this women's story is true, and the media was very pro-Trump, they would spend a lot of money trying to back up this women's story, including attempting to do all the things you just mentioned.
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby mtbturtle on March 29th, 2016, 8:15 pm 

You mean like the way they are with Trump's smear of Cruz?
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby ronjanec on March 29th, 2016, 8:26 pm 

mtbturtle » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:11 pm wrote:

Yes Ron, Racist. Drudge is about sensationalism, insults, degrading political discourse, I think I understand it well enough.

Since when are looks something you should be politically commenting on? Shall we talk about Don's little penis next as we seek to elevate the discourse?
Not her personal looks, the look on her face mtbturtle.

Can we call a truce for the night mtbturtle? I have to watch the Chicago Horribulls.
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby mtbturtle on March 29th, 2016, 8:32 pm 

ronjanec » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:26 pm wrote:
mtbturtle » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:11 pm wrote:

Not her personal looks, the look on her face mtbturtle.

Can we call a truce for the night mtbturtle? I have to watch the Chicago Horribulls.

Don't understand the difference.
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby ronjanec on March 31st, 2016, 11:09 am 

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... breakdown/ This is a very interesting article about Hillary Clinton's possible prosecution in regards to her personal e-mails that was linked on "the Drudge Report" this morning.
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby TheVat on March 31st, 2016, 1:47 pm 

I believe the most telling line of this yellow journalism screed jampacked with innuendos and rumors was this one:

"What’s going on? No one knows for sure....."

The FBI is finishing up their investigation, tying up loose ends, and that's what we know. Numerous details have emerged suggesting that the private email communications did not contain classified material, but ordinary email that was later retroactively classified in a blanket procedure that even uber-conservative John Bolton once described as excessive and over-the-top. Dozens of high-ranking officials in the government have used private email servers and no one paid the slightest attention.

I don't like Hillary too much, but I think the focus should be on genuine incidents of dishonesty and political chicanery and not this stupid red herring. We should probably be more worried about stuff like Arizona shutting down half its polling stations so that people had to wait in very long lines to vote, i.e. people with lots of free time, i.e. older retired persons who tended to favor Hillary over Bernie. Arizona polled strongly for Bernie, yet Hillary won. This might be a windfall thing, that the Clintons had nothing to do with, I'm only saying we should watch carefully when the Democratic Party establishment so clearly favors Hillary and seems determined on holding her coronation this summer. If we held a national primary where everyone could easily vote, all polls indicate that Bernie would win the primary handily.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby ronjanec on March 31st, 2016, 1:53 pm 

Braininvat » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:47 am wrote:I believe the most telling line of this yellow journalism screed jampacked with innuendos and rumors was this one:

"What’s going on? No one knows for sure....."

The FBI is finishing up their investigation, tying up loose ends, and that's what we know. Numerous details have emerged suggesting that the private email communications did not contain classified material, but ordinary email that was later retroactively classified in a blanket procedure that even uber-conservative John Bolton once described as excessive and over-the-top. Dozens of high-ranking officials in the government have used private email servers and no one paid the slightest attention.

I don't like Hillary too much, but I think the focus should be on genuine incidents of dishonesty and political chicanery and not this stupid red herring. We should probably be more worried about stuff like Arizona shutting down half its polling stations so that people had to wait in very long lines to vote, i.e. people with lots of free time, i.e. older retired persons who tended to favor Hillary over Bernie. Arizona polled strongly for Bernie, yet Hillary won. This might be a windfall thing, that the Clintons had nothing to do with, I'm only saying we should watch carefully when the Democratic Party establishment so clearly favors Hillary and seems determined on holding her coronation this summer. If we held a national primary where everyone could easily vote, all polls indicate that Bernie would win the primary handily.

Who knows Biv? I guess we will all just have to wait and see how this all plays out.
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby Paul Anthony on March 31st, 2016, 2:33 pm 

Braininvat » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:47 am wrote:
We should probably be more worried about stuff like Arizona shutting down half its polling stations so that people had to wait in very long lines to vote, i.e. people with lots of free time, i.e. older retired persons who tended to favor Hillary over Bernie. Arizona polled strongly for Bernie, yet Hillary won. This might be a windfall thing, that the Clintons had nothing to do with, I'm only saying we should watch carefully when the Democratic Party establishment so clearly favors Hillary and seems determined on holding her coronation this summer. If we held a national primary where everyone could easily vote, all polls indicate that Bernie would win the primary handily.

That's a very good question. As a citizen of Arizona, I can tell you that an investigation is underway and some heads may roll. You're take is an interesting one, because what I'm hearing in the media is that republicans are to blame (as they always are in the media).

What doesn't get reported is this: Arizona allows early voting by mail. It is not necessary to stand in line on election day. Arizona made it easy to vote! Because more people are taking advantage of that option, someone may have thought they didn't need as many polling places as before. Maybe. Turns out, that was a gross miscalculation, but it may have been an honest mistake.

Yes, Arizona made it easy to vote, but maybe too easy. Because of early voting, Rubio got 23,000 more votes than Kasich. Poor John came in 4th in a three-man race and a lot of people threw their vote away because they voted before their favorite candidate dropped out of the race.

There are no perfect answers.
Paul Anthony
Resident Member

Postby SciameriKen on March 31st, 2016, 2:41 pm 

Paul Anthony » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:33 pm wrote:
Braininvat » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:47 am wrote:
We should probably be more worried about stuff like Arizona shutting down half its polling stations so that people had to wait in very long lines to vote, i.e. people with lots of free time, i.e. older retired persons who tended to favor Hillary over Bernie. Arizona polled strongly for Bernie, yet Hillary won. This might be a windfall thing, that the Clintons had nothing to do with, I'm only saying we should watch carefully when the Democratic Party establishment so clearly favors Hillary and seems determined on holding her coronation this summer. If we held a national primary where everyone could easily vote, all polls indicate that Bernie would win the primary handily.

That's a very good question. As a citizen of Arizona, I can tell you that an investigation is underway and some heads may roll. You're take is an interesting one, because what I'm hearing in the media is that republicans are to blame (as they always are in the media).

What doesn't get reported is this: Arizona allows early voting by mail. It is not necessary to stand in line on election day. Arizona made it easy to vote! Because more people are taking advantage of that option, someone may have thought they didn't need as many polling places as before. Maybe. Turns out, that was a gross miscalculation, but it may have been an honest mistake.

Yes, Arizona made it easy to vote, but maybe too easy. Because of early voting, Rubio got 23,000 more votes than Kasich. Poor John came in 4th in a three-man race and a lot of people threw their vote away because they voted before their favorite candidate dropped out of the race.

There are no perfect answers.

Early votes also severely hurt Sanders - am I write in remember Arizona as the state where Sanders actually won in ballots counted that day? Some of the ballots were cast when Sanders was just another name in a pack of democratic hopefuls.

My concern with the Clinton email issue is whether or not she had a system that effectively let her decide which emails go into the public record and which vanish into non-existance.
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby TheVat on March 31st, 2016, 5:41 pm 

Was there ever really "a pack" of Democratic hopefuls? JK. I think you're right, Ken, that too-early voting burned Bern. That is
one virtue of a caucus, I suppose, that one can change mind at the last minute.

Paul, it may be an honest mistake, I hope so for Arizona's sake. I suppose Repubs get blamed simply because so many officials involved in the new system were Repub? That could lead to cheap media spin, for sure. I guess a genuine bunker-digging conspiracist could say the GOP wanted Hillary to win because they think she will turn into a Rockefeller Repub once she's actually in office. Or the GOP and Dem establishments met covertly and it's agreed on, that she's better for both sides than any of their other alternatives. I bet a sci-fi writer could come up with a juicy bunch of parallel timelines for 2016.

Ken, I don't know how much of any federal official's email is public record stuff. I'm thinking they all exert some control over deletions of trivial stuff. Truly official stuff tends to be cc'd widely, doesn't it, so you can't really make it just vanish. But I really don't know.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby Paul Anthony on March 31st, 2016, 6:26 pm 

Braininvat » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:41 pm wrote:

Ken, I don't know how much of any federal official's email is public record stuff. I'm thinking they all exert some control over deletions of trivial stuff. Truly official stuff tends to be cc'd widely, doesn't it, so you can't really make it just vanish. But I really don't know.

It was an issue during Clinton's term as SOS. Many FOIA requests were returned "no information found" because the people responding weren't looking at Clinton's private server. When the emails became an issue, she deleted some 30,000 that she claimed were personal. Maybe they were, but I would have felt better if someone other than Hillary had made that determination. They weren't deleted until after investigators requested them.

There is also the matter of her unsecured Blackberry, which has come to light only because of a search of her emails. She had been warned repeatedly that using it was a security risk. She continued to use it (AND it was linked to her unsecured email server) despite concerns by the people responsible for security.
Paul Anthony
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on April 5th, 2016, 2:23 am 

Bernie Wins Nevada!!! I attended the caucus and I could see this coming since she got an unfair advantage when delegates were given. Everyone ruled him out at the beginning but I'm going all the way. In Nevada the caucus isn't over. It has 3 stages and this is either the 2nd or 3rd stage now which has gone in direction Bernie.

After realignment: 2,386 Clinton, 2,964 Sanders, & 7 uncommitted. 5,357 total

This after Clinton won 20 to 15 in the first caucus back in Feb.

In other news. I also heard today that Clinton was finally caught lying about all the money she has gotten from 57 oil and natural gas companies to fund her campaign. And I heard she got in some woman's face about something (I feel like that's the kind of hate and anger stuff the Trump campaign does). I don't have a whole lot of time to look this up but just telling you what someone I trust heard on democracy now.
This in light of a bunch of other stuff I learned about politics and global warming that I wish you all would watch and learn. Ok won't be responding. I have to buckle down on all the work I have right now. (one thing actually includes setting up a Bernie booth at an Earth Day event coming up :)
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Natural ChemE on April 26th, 2016, 11:36 pm 

Quick update -

Today's primaries further consolidated Hillary's lead in the Democratic primaries and Trump's lead in the Republican primaries. At this point it looks like a Hillary vs. Trump general election is a pretty sure bet, with about 3-to-1 odds favoring Hillary.

It looks like Hillary'll take the White House, though there's a minority chance it might be Trump.
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Postby Paul Anthony on April 27th, 2016, 12:19 am 

The election will like an episode from DC comics - Cat woman vs. The Joker.
Paul Anthony
Resident Member

Postby ronjanec on April 27th, 2016, 12:22 am 

Natural ChemE » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:36 pm wrote:Quick update -

Today's primaries further consolidated Hillary's lead in the Democratic primaries and Trump's lead in the Republican primaries. At this point it looks like a Hillary vs. Trump general election is a pretty sure bet, with about 3-to-1 odds favoring Hillary.

It looks like Hillary'll take the White House, though there's a minority chance it might be Trump.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/pre ... nationally In the most recent polls, Trump does seem to be closing the gap with Clinton: So this may be closer than we all realize.

Another factor here in favor of the Republicans, may be lower Democratic voter turnout in November 2016: http://www.breitbart.com/2016-president ... rsus-2008/
Last edited by ronjanec on April 27th, 2016, 12:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby ronjanec on April 27th, 2016, 12:26 am 

Paul Anthony » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:19 pm wrote:The election will like an episode from DC comics - Cat woman vs. The Joker.
I can't even imagine the first televised debate between them! "Oh, the humanity!" :)
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby ronjanec on April 27th, 2016, 12:40 am 

While I really hate to see Bernie go, I certainly hope that those two Republican Bozos finally get the message and drop out of the race, and then hopefully crawl back under the rock they both came from.
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby SciameriKen on April 27th, 2016, 1:47 am 

Natural ChemE » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:36 am wrote:Quick update -

I wish I could downvote this :) But its pretty much right - My gut feeling is that is really about 59.99999999/40 in favor of Hillary - Trump can surprise - the feds can surprise - and I can surprise (the 0.000000001 chance of my success! :)
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Political Theory