EU referendum

This is a forum for discussing philosophical theories of government and social structure. It is not a venue for partisan rants or plugging favored candidates.

Re: EU referendum

Postby BadgerJelly on June 29th, 2016, 2:06 pm 

Are we trying to ignore the elephant in the room ... ?

Aka Boris Johnson?
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby Lomax on June 29th, 2016, 2:20 pm 

That's only the start of it. Once Scotland is gone the British Left is gone. It could take decades for the Tory party to out-awful itself to the point of losing power.
Lomax
Forum Administrator

Postby sponge on June 29th, 2016, 2:37 pm 

I see the FTSE has bounced back - trading at 6,630 now - higher than it was before Brexit. Of course, it doesn't make big news - the media only seems to report misery, panic and despair.

I sense growing optimism in the country outside of London. It's time the politicians stopped the infighting and concentration on self-interest and tried a bit of statesmanship for a change. Their silence is becoming deafening.

BJ - I hope Boris doesn't become the Tory leader but common sense seems to be in short supply in Westminster at the moment. We can only watch them fight out the leadership contest and hope that eventually they will start to get on with the business in hand.
sponge

Postby sponge on June 29th, 2016, 2:40 pm 

OK, Lomax, my turn to make a bet with you. TWO pints of your favourite tipple says Scotland won't leave the Union.
sponge

Postby ronjanec on June 29th, 2016, 3:27 pm 

sponge » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:37 pm wrote:I see the FTSE has bounced back - trading at 6,630 now - higher than it was before Brexit. Of course, it doesn't make big news - the media only seems to report misery, panic and despair.

I sense growing optimism in the country outside of London. It's time the politicians stopped the infighting and concentration on self-interest and tried a bit of statesmanship for a change. Their silence is becoming deafening.

BJ - I hope Boris doesn't become the Tory leader but common sense seems to be in short supply in Westminster at the moment. We can only watch them fight out the leadership contest and hope that eventually they will start to get on with the business in hand.

USA markets also up today sponge. It does sound like things are starting to settle down a bit after the initial shock of "Brexit".
ronjanec
Resident Member

sponge liked this post

Postby Lomax on June 29th, 2016, 9:51 pm 

sponge » June 29th, 2016, 7:40 pm wrote:OK, Lomax, my turn to make a bet with you. TWO pints of your favourite tipple says Scotland won't leave the Union.

Ha, I might need time to think about this, given the FTSE-UK news. I'll get back to you ;)
Lomax
Forum Administrator

Postby sponge on June 30th, 2016, 3:35 pm 

Yup, up another 144 points today.

And you're betting like a politician now. ;)
sponge

LomaxronjanecTheVat liked this post

Postby BadgerJelly on October 19th, 2016, 10:59 pm 

Is my second prediction coming true? Are the government going to cancel the EU exit?
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby kudayta on October 19th, 2016, 11:04 pm 

BadgerJelly » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:59 pm wrote:Is my second prediction coming true? Are the government going to cancel the EU exit?

Parliament will vote on it. I don't follow British politics closely enough to say if there's enough votes to prevent Brexit though.
kudayta

Postby BadgerJelly on October 19th, 2016, 11:08 pm 

kudayta » October 20th, 2016, 11:04 am wrote:
BadgerJelly » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:59 pm wrote:Is my second prediction coming true? Are the government going to cancel the EU exit?

Parliament will vote on it. I don't follow British politics closely enough to say if there's enough votes to prevent Brexit though.

If they stay in the EU then they show the whole thing to be an exercise of revealing how to manipulate public opinion by distracting from important issue. Another nation forcing itself into political death with the citizens laughing and applauding as it hobbles itself.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby kudayta on October 19th, 2016, 11:16 pm 

Another nation? Which nations came before in 'political death' while the citizens laughed?
kudayta

Postby sponge on October 20th, 2016, 2:03 pm 

BadgerJelly » October 19th, 2016, 9:59 pm wrote:Is my second prediction coming true? Are the government going to cancel the EU exit?

Not from where I'm standing but until the deed is done, who can be sure.
For anyone who has the time and inclination to understand exactly what brexit will mean for the UK and also for answers to just about anything you would ever need to know about the subject of the UK and our relationship with Europe, check out this BBC site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32810887

It's all presented in plain language and answers all the questions anyone might have, as honestly and fairly as I have seen anywhere.
sponge

Postby Eclogite on October 20th, 2016, 8:30 pm 

kudayta » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:04 am wrote:

The constitutional position is somewhat ambiguous (the advantage of not having a written constitution), but while the government could offer Parliament the opportunity to vote on the issue, they will not do so.
Eclogite
Forum Moderator

Postby kudayta on October 22nd, 2016, 2:12 am 

Eclogite » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:30 pm wrote:
kudayta » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:04 am wrote:

The constitutional position is somewhat ambiguous (the advantage of not having a written constitution), but while the government could offer Parliament the opportunity to vote on the issue, they will not do so.

I really don't think having an unwritten constitution is an advantage here, but ok :)
kudayta

Postby sponge on October 22nd, 2016, 1:39 pm 

I think that even those MPs who would really like to stay in the EU are not campaigning for a vote on that. They have accepted that we will leave the Union but want a vote about the terms and conditions of our exit. They argue that it is such a big change, with such far-reaching and long-term effects, that the terms should not be decided by one political party alone but by the whole parliament.

Teresa May is unlikely to allow a vote, saying that the public gave the present government a mandate to leave the EU and that includes working out the detail. Although she has set up debates about the details that have cross-party membership. Besides, she argues, since the debates in the open chamber are public, it would be folly to show the position of Britain before negotiations with Europe have even begun.
sponge

Lomax liked this post

Postby BadgerJelly on October 26th, 2016, 7:47 pm 

Well my prediction was not that we wouldn't leave, but that we'd end up with a deal which pretty much amounted to the same thing as being in the EU only with no say on what the EU does.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby sponge on October 27th, 2016, 1:54 pm 

BadgerJelly » October 19th, 2016, 9:59 pm wrote:Is my second prediction coming true? Are the government going to cancel the EU exit?

Ah, apologies, BJ. Your post (above) seemed to suggest that the government might abandon the exit altogether and that was what I was responding to.

More good economic news today with the Nissan decision to remain in the UK and build their two new models here and the news that the economy grew in the first three months after Brexit.
sponge

Postby BadgerJelly on November 1st, 2016, 3:06 am 

Oh yeah! Haha. I was referring to post months ago. I am more interested in Philippines and Duterte when it comes to government politics. Very big changes over there.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby ronjanec on November 28th, 2016, 4:11 pm 

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/11 ... ay-greece/ Looks like you guys got out just in time...oh...wait?

("Fake" news site alert!) :)
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby ronjanec on January 24th, 2017, 7:26 pm 

ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby BadgerJelly on January 25th, 2017, 1:55 am 

Nonsense. Theresa May already stated that if the UK doesn't get its way on immigration they are out of the market.

Plus "getting out" has already made the pound crash. The worst is yet to come. Poverty in the UK will increase if they are outside the market.

Scaremomgering about Turkey helping people who've been bombed is not a bad thing.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby TheVat on January 31st, 2020, 4:35 pm 

Happy Brexit Day. And, just getting this out in advance, welcome to the newly independent nations of Scotland and N. Ireland.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby Serpent on January 31st, 2020, 8:32 pm 

More dates to celebrate! What colour is the beer?
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby toucana on February 1st, 2020, 8:55 am 

The abiding impression of living in UK on Brexit Day +1 is that of a nagging sense of déjà vu, and that of having been transported back in time to the Britain of December 1967 - Complete with all the jingoistic Union Jack waving, and people reciting the simplistic mind-numbing slogan “I’m Backing Britain” that seemed to be on everyones’ lips from the Duke of Edinburgh and prime minister Harold Wilson on down.

There was even a jolly pop song of the same name sung by the inimitable Bruce Forsyth ♫ ♫ “The feeling is growing, so let’s keep it going, the good times are coming our way” ♫ ♫ crooned Brucie. (It failed to make the hit-parade though).

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/897330/I-m-Backing-Britain-campaign-1967-economic-uncertainty-descended-farce

What was it all about, and what became of it ? Well it began in December 1967 when the British economy was tanking, and Harold Wilson’s Labour government resorted to an abrupt devaluation of the pound Sterling. A Conservative MP then suggested that Britain could become the wealthiest nation in the world if all workers agreed to work an extra day at weekends unpaid.

A group of five female secretaries employed by an air-conditioning company located in Surbiton decided to set the ball rolling by persuading all the other staff to voluntarily start work half-an-hour earlier for no extra pay. In no time at all the idea became what we would nowadays call a viral sensation.

Bosses could not believe their luck as thousands of enthusiastic workers the length of the country began offering to work extra hours unpaid. The GPO even introduced a special franking mark to honour the moment, and the poet laureate Cecil Day-Lewis wrote a special poem as well.

The first sign that the wheels might be about to fall off this jolly bandwagon came when thousands of promotional T-Shirts bearing the “I’m backing Britain” slogan on the front, and a Union Jack on the back were all found to be prominently emblazoned with a ‘Made In Portugal’ label.

“We just cannot find a British T-shirt which will give us the same quality at a price that will compare” explained a red-faced managing director of the company commmissioned to provide them.

Behind the scenes, Trade Unions were explaining a few simple facts of life to the workers who had been supporting the campaign - Namely, that if you offer to work for nothing, then your bosses will very happily let you, and will also normalise and enforce it too. The unions asked workers to reflect on what comparable sacrifices the bosses themselves might be making. Answer came there none.

In February 1968, employees at the air conditioning company that had started the movement voted to resume working normal hours, and the British government quietly withdrew its support as well.

Later in 1968 the Carry On comedy film ‘Carry On Up The Khyber’ was released. In one topical scene, a flag with the “I’m Backing Britain” slogan is raised by the embattled British and is greeted by the mad Khasi of Burpa (Kenneth Williams) with the immortal words “Of course they are all raving mad you know”.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Previous

Return to Political Theory