Orlando / Gun Control

This is a forum for discussing philosophical theories of government and social structure. It is not a venue for partisan rants or plugging favored candidates.

Re: Orlando / Gun Control

Postby Paul Anthony on July 16th, 2016, 7:07 pm 

Re: news media bias:

The jihadist attack in Nice was terrible, but according to some news sources, it wasn't a terror attack.

Here was the execrable New York Times’ headline: “Truck Attack on French Crowd: Scores Die.”

But The New York Times wasn’t alone. MSNBC: “Tune in to MSNBC for continued live coverage of the deadly truck crash in Nice, France.”

"Truck crash". They make it sound like a driverless truck accidentally killed a bunch of people. But it wasn't driverless, and it wasn't an accident. We're not supposed to say "Islamic Terrorist", so we have to blame it on an inanimate object. Usually it's a gun. This time it was a truck.

Inanimate objects are a scourge on civilized society. Islam is a religion of peace. NYT and MSNBC say so. It must be true.
Paul Anthony
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on July 16th, 2016, 7:16 pm 

Braininvat » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:15 am wrote:This has been a good thread, and far less heated than its 34 page predecessor. I'm stepping away, but will keep reflecting on the social and legislative solutions suggested here....I see that there will be multiple paths and that panacea thinking is useless. If you live in the US or Canada, please consider a donation to PBS or NPR, news sources that are less in the thrall of corporate sponsors. Cheers.

Or Democracy NOW
http://www.democracynow.org/
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Paul Anthony on July 16th, 2016, 7:41 pm 

Reading their "about us" page, one would expect them to be unbiased. They have a section for "Hillary Clinton" and one for "Donald Trump" - so far, so good.

Every article under the Trump heading is negative. Every article about Hillary is positive.

There's nothing wrong with reading this, but balance it by reading something that slants to the other side. Unless you want reassurance that Trump is the devil and Hillary is a saint. :)

I suggest http://www.townhall.com for the other (biased) viewpoint.
Paul Anthony
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on July 16th, 2016, 7:57 pm 

That is one snapshot of democracy now. Following them over time you might get an unbiased view turning into a biased one probably for good reason.

I can't remember where I was just reading, maybe it was on here, that someone suggested news sources should be biased. Made sense to me.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Paul Anthony on July 16th, 2016, 8:13 pm 

zetreque » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:57 pm wrote:

I can't remember where I was just reading, maybe it was on here, that someone suggested news sources should be biased. Made sense to me.

I don't know that they should, but they are. A TV network, newspaper or magazine - online or off - must cater to its readership. The population has become partisan, so the media must be in order to keep its readership. Then, as the media confirms its readership's bias, the readership becomes more partisan.

A vicious cycle.

In order to stay informed and not be lead down the rabbit hole, one must expand one's sources. I mentioned townhall.com, which is the media arm of the heritage Foundation. I also subscribe to the newsletter from http://www.nationalmemo.com. It can be entertaining as well as informative to read both sides as they report on the same events, but differently.

It's a habit I formed as a teenager. I had a shortwave radio, and used to listen to stations from Europe to compare their news to that from the US.
Paul Anthony
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on July 16th, 2016, 8:19 pm 

Biassed in what way?
If they stated their political philosophy, that would be informative. Their party affiliation, less so, since the political parties themselves change philosophy, ethos, tone and direction over time.
Biassed in racial, ethnic or religious leaning? Would be helpful to know, but few networks are willing to take such a stand.... after all, you have to consider the demographics of your audience and sell the right time-slot to the appropriate sponsor.
I'd go by how many of their executive and research staff are Trekkies...
Serpent
Resident Member

zetreque liked this post

Postby Paul Anthony on July 16th, 2016, 8:42 pm 

Serpent » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:19 pm wrote:Biassed in what way?
If they stated their political philosophy, that would be informative. Their party affiliation, less so, since the political parties themselves change philosophy, ethos, tone and direction over time.
Biassed in racial, ethnic or religious leaning? Would be helpful to know, but few networks are willing to take such a stand.... after all, you have to consider the demographics of your audience and sell the right time-slot to the appropriate sponsor.
I'd go by how many of their executive and research staff are Trekkies...

You're right regarding TV (Well. mostly. Fox news is more right-wing than most) but online publications cater more to readers than sponsors. Interesting side note: National Memo's articles are left-leaning but some of their advertising is right-wing.

Of course, if they're Star Trek fans, they are intelligent, regardless of their politics. I recently watched Star Wars episodes I & II (prequels, newer than the original). Lots of computer generated graphics, action, fighting but little character development or plot. I've concluded that Star Wars is for people who can't understand Star Trek.
Paul Anthony
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on July 16th, 2016, 10:56 pm 

And like guns more?
(DS 9 is on Netflix!!!)
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby msklystron on July 18th, 2016, 11:47 am 

In recent years, the number of mass shootings in America has gone up. Thoughtful discussion is very much needed and overdue.

First off, mass shooters usually purchase their weapons legally or ‘borrow’ them from a family member, and generally don't have access to guns through affiliations with gangs, organized crime or terror organizations, so further gun control is a logical stop-gap measure. Making it harder for mass shooters to quietly amass an arsenal could save lives. For reasons I’ll attempt to explain below, I support stricter background checks and better-designed and more frequently administered psych tests for those who buy guns and ammunition.

Mass murder usually refers to any homicide with multiple victims. For lack of a more accurate term I’ll use mass murder or shooting to describe massacres like the one in Orlando and mass murderer or shooter to describe this type of perpetrator. The thing is, in the aftermath of tragic incidents like Orlando, politicians, traditional and virtual mass media and people sitting around kitchen tables can’t even agree on what to call the perpetrators – terrorists, Hate criminals or lone wolves/ nutjobs -- or how to classify the crimes they commit – mass shootings, Hate crimes or terrorism.

Nomenclature matters a great deal when it comes to making effective public policy. Do we attempt to fix all social ills…, beef up homeland security, arm more, or conversely, fewer citizens, spend more money on educating the public about diversity and/or mental illness or increase funding to mental health? In his remarks on the shootings in Orlando, President Obama referred to the perpetrator as a ‘deranged individual’. In my opinion, he is correct. Although there is some cross-over, terrorists and those who commit Hate crimes generally have strong connections or devotion to a radical organization or cause, and necessitate different solutions than a lone wolf/ nutjob. The problem with this classification, however, is the ease with which each mass killing can be dismissed as an isolated incident, impossible to have predicted. In a relatively short span of time, groups targeted by mass shooters have included: school children, movie-goers, a church congregation, gay bar patrons and police. Motivations stated or implied by mass murderers have likewise varied widely. But if these apparent differences in victimology and possible motives are set aside, and mass murders are viewed as a socio-psychological phenomenon rather than a series of freak occurrences, the perpetrators do have much in common. Before I expand on this, please bear in mind that I’m just a student of human nature (and star trek fan) and have zero credentials in the field of psychology.

Mass murderers are alike in that they’d probably score very high on the Narcissism Personality Inventory. However, this isn’t enough in itself to explain the horrific carnage. Many narcissists never commit violent crimes. In my opinion, mass shooters suffer from a variation of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. They are often loners (usually male), who act of their own accord (or very occasionally with a partner or partners). Narcissists aren’t joiners as a rule. Some exhibit psychopathic tendencies, including sadism, but uncharacteristic of psychopathy, narcissistic-type self-loathing sometimes appears in their speech or writings. The form of narcissism mass murderers are afflicted with is marked by disconnection and disenfranchisement as well as vengeful rage aimed at authority. Some have claimed to have been let down or even harmed by an authority figure in the past. Narcisism can lead to existential depression, break down and/or rages. Some exhibit paranoia or delusions. On top of this they tend to be attracted to radical ideologies, particularly those that relate to challenges to social order or bigotry. As a result, some may express a willingness to kill and/or die for a cause, and some may even appear to have been radicalized. But in reality they don’t care about righting social ills or fighting for political or religious change. Mass murder is a senseless act by narcissists who care only about themselves. It’s all about them. They need the world and posterity to know how great and terrible they are, because deep down they are full of self-loathing.

The desire for infamy is the reason mass murderers target venues and/or social groups that yield maximum public terror and anarchy. It’s only as a side-effect that they sometimes hold a mirror to the dark side of society, as in Orlando with homophobia. While we must not turn our backs on what is revealed, it’s important to understand their real target is often the police or authorities who inevitably arrive on the scene. The showdown with police, in the twisted mind of the mass shooter, places him on an equal (or superior) footing with them. In many cases, suicide by their own hand post-mayhem, or by cop in a glorious hail of bullets, taking as many victims as possible with them, is the plan from the outset.

Before anything can be done policy-wise, discussion of mass murder needs to be de-politicized. The Right tends to be quick to label mass murderers with even the most tenuous connection to Islam as terrorists. The left likewise latches onto mass killings of members of minority groups as Hate crimes. Also erroneous is to point to cultural or religious motivations (whether Muslim or Christian) for these crimes. In fact, the Orlando shooter and his ilk have more to tell us about the stigma surrounding mental illness and the failure of mental health systems than any other issue.

In some cases, mass murderers call police moments before their horrific rampage, and sometimes others show off their arsenal and wave their manifesto on the net beforehand. Among young mass murderers, often in hindsight it is learned that they had exhibited warning signs that weren’t sufficiently addressed. At some level these guys want to be caught and helped. In addition to measures that would make it harder to commit mass murder, such as stronger gun control, more funding should go toward research on the psychology of mass shooters. Narcissistic personality disorder, although not a mental illness according to the DSM, can occasionally be cured via current mental health strategies. If more was known about this particular variety of the disorder, it’s within the realm of possibility that some potential mass shooters could be identified early and treated, preventing them from ever embarking on a killing spree. At the very least, those who tick the majority of boxes indicating a tendency toward committing mass murder on a re-designed psych test, should be denied the right to purchase a gun.
msklystron
Forum Neophyte

BraininvatPaul Anthony liked this post

Postby Serpent on July 18th, 2016, 1:04 pm 

That might be a start, but would not stop any of these deranged (or damaged) persons from taking a gun out of their parents' arsenal, or buying a stolen one in any alley. Much, much stricter regulation of how weapons are stored, transported and displayed would also be of some use.
(How ridiculous is barring baseball bats, knives, tennis balls and canned goods from the Republican Convention, but being unable to bar firearms, since Ohio has an open-carry law?)

Still the only effective long-term solution is change the culture that promotes narcissism, confrontation, strife and violence. http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/violence-children-teens-1.3681849
Serpent
Resident Member

msklystron liked this post

Postby vivian maxine on July 18th, 2016, 1:37 pm 

Serpent » July 18th, 2016, 12:04 pm wrote:That might be a start, but would not stop any of these deranged (or damaged) persons from taking a gun out of their parents' arsenal, or buying a stolen one in any alley. Much, much stricter regulation of how weapons are stored, transported and displayed would also be of some use.
(How ridiculous is barring baseball bats, knives, tennis balls and canned goods from the Republican Convention, but being unable to bar firearms, since Ohio has an open-carry law?)

Still the only effective long-term solution is change the culture that promotes narcissism, confrontation, strife and violence. http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/violence-children-teens-1.3681849

And wouldn't that involve changing one individual at a time which would take how long, to say nothing of how successful it would be. I may be thinking wrongly but it seems to me that it does boil down to a one-on-one chore. Maybe not technically exactly only one person but a small enough group that you really do reach each person in the group. Each individual has his own foibles, his own prejudices, his own almost innate reactions which have likely been ingrained from birth or suddenly acquired by a few bad experiences. How do we get through to each individual which I think is the only way to change a whole culture? Where is the "magic pill" to cure each of us of our fears and hates?

We are working on it, yes, and we are slowly changing that culture. I just fear it will be a very long process. Doctors do not heal people in groups and this pestilence cannot be healed in groups. Everyone means well but, when chips are down, few do well. How do we change that? With laws? I doubt it. Laws don't cure diseases.

Just thinking.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on July 18th, 2016, 2:38 pm 

Where is the "magic pill" to cure each of us of our fears and hates?

Mass media.

We are working on it, yes, and we are slowly changing that culture. I just fear it will be a very long process. Doctors do not heal people in groups and this pestilence cannot be healed in groups. Everyone means well but, when chips are down, few do well. How do we change that? With laws? I doubt it. Laws don't cure diseases.

No, you're not working on it! I'm a fan of murder mysteries. 30 or 40 years ago, an episode of any detective show would deal with one murder - which either happened off-camera or the audience was shown an actor fall down. Now, it opens with a terrified girl running and you get a two-minute graphic beating or strangling before the titles are shown, and there must be four more gruesome killings, in close-up, before the credits. The news used to be read by a serious man sitting behind a desk, not narrated by a shrill girl as accompaniment to a looped video of carnage. Little boys might have toy guns, but they didn't get to be virtual stalkers and snipers and mercenaries.

You can't change it with laws. The executives would have to tone down their product voluntarily, for the public good. Obviously, that's as likely to happen as individual citizens relinquishing their right to own a firearm, just because its absence might save a dozen lives.
I said it was desirable, not that it was practical or probable.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby Paul Anthony on July 18th, 2016, 2:53 pm 

Serpent » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:38 am wrote: I'm a fan of murder mysteries. 30 or 40 years ago, an episode of any detective show would deal with one murder - which either happened off-camera or the audience was shown an actor fall down. Now, it opens with a terrified girl running and you get a two-minute graphic beating or strangling before the titles are shown, and there must be four more gruesome killings, in close-up, before the credits. The news used to be read by a serious man sitting behind a desk, not narrated by a shrill girl as accompaniment to a looped video of carnage. Little boys might have toy guns, but they didn't get to be virtual stalkers and snipers and mercenaries.

Quite so. Thanks to Netflix, I'm half-way through watching 70 episodes of Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot. Although I've read most of them long ago, I'm really enjoying them acted out.

BBC created the series from 1989 to recently, but the stories are set in circa 1935 England. Usually, more than one murder is committed, but we never see blood and gore - or sex. And no foul language. Just very good mystery that requires the viewer to think. Much is left to one's imagination.

Hollywood's audiences are not asked to imagine anything. Have we lost the ability?
Paul Anthony
Resident Member

SciameriKen liked this post

Postby Serpent on July 18th, 2016, 3:42 pm 

I believe it goes far deeper than a failure of imagination. I see two processes feeding each other:

Waging wars that are wildly lucrative for the elite requires a compliant population. To persuade citizens to pony up for war after war, even while their bridges collapse, their social services deteriorate and their standard of living declines, requires that they feel endangered. Regular scares, but few actual upheavals are insufficient: it is necessary also to turn the lower classes against each other. It is necessary to give the people nightmares, witches and bogeymen. And then it's important to get them to accept harsh practices - teach them to "love water-boarding," a la The Donald.

Addiction is profitable. Sugar, fat, nicotine, alcohol, self-righteousness, morphine, caffeine, novelty, immortality, conceit, sex, adrenaline - the substance doesn't matter. Get people hooked on something cheap, and keep raising the dosage. They'll keep needing more of it, and stop counting the price. Doesn't matter they're sinking into debt to feed their habit; doesn't matter they're losing relationships, language, integrity, competence; their health, their wealth, their community, their identity; doesn't matter they're killing themselves, each other and their children. Only the drug matters. When a range of clever, cynical purveyors with highly effective tools of persuasion offer a wide array of addictive substances to a rich and diverse nation, that nation unravels.

Export enough of this brand of economics and the whole world unravels.

(PS I've seen the whole Poirot series three times, but revisit it, still, for the architecture. )
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby Paul Anthony on July 18th, 2016, 4:37 pm 

Serpent,

Whenever I go on a rant such as yours (and it is often) I'm frequently told I am old and am nostalgically remembering a past that never existed. But it did exist!

Drugs, violence and sex have always existed, but they weren't publicly displayed. Society was a bit more civilized and children were shielded from the darker side of humanity.

Graphic novels have become popular. I remember when they were called picture books. I stopped reading picture books once they had served their purpose, which was to teach children to read. Donald Trump says he doesn't read books. No surprise there. He is truly a man of the people - gruff, vulgar, narcissistic and functionally illiterate.

Guns were prevalent when hunting was a sport for the rich and a necessity for the poor, but there were no mass shootings.
Paul Anthony
Resident Member

Postby msklystron on July 18th, 2016, 5:43 pm 

Serpent » July 18th, 2016, 1:04 pm wrote:That might be a start, but would not stop any of these deranged (or damaged) persons from taking a gun out of their parents' arsenal, or buying a stolen one in any alley. Much, much stricter regulation of how weapons are stored, transported and displayed would also be of some use.

Yup. Background checks that include calls to the spouse, parents, people living in the home happen now, but they're infrequent and random. This needs improving. Many of these narcissistic lone shooters seem to be perversely law-abiding (yeah I know they're plotting mass murder which is against the law) and it's not clear that they'd simply seek illegal means to obtain a weapon. It could buy time at least.

If I were going to the Republican convention, I'd stuff my pockets with hairpieces... But then I'm Canadian... We don't have the right to bear arms. In fact we don't have much of a gun culture up here. Our gun regulations are somewhat stricter too. We do have the odd narcissistic type lone shooter tragedies here. Most notable the mass murder of female engineering students at ecole polytechnique. Nutjobs are coming out of the woodwork in America right now. IMO they set each other off. There's a one-up-manship that goes on with these deranged individuals. Also the racial/ cultural tension and climate of violence may be a factor as well.
msklystron
Forum Neophyte

Postby Serpent on July 18th, 2016, 6:37 pm 

Paul Anthony » July 18th, 2016, 3:37 pm wrote:Serpent,

Whenever I go on a rant such as yours (and it is often)

I think it's an expositions, not a rant. I'm not at all emotional about this process: I have watched it develop with the fascination of feeding-time in the reptile house, am not involved or invested in the denoument.
I'm frequently told I am old and am nostalgically remembering a past that never existed. But it did exist!
It existed, yes. Was it rammed into every toddler? No. Thus, children, shielded from the anomaly of evildoing, had a chance to grow into whatever kind of citizen their community demanded and was prepared to nurture. I date that relatively good period (golden decades, if you like) between Kennedy and Carter. Though the period included a lot of protest, confrontation and rioting - not to mention Nixon and Vietnam - there was also a real prospect of resolving some of the inherent problems of America; balancing some of the injustices, ameliorating some of the chronic pain. There was, I believe, a concerted trend toward equality and democracy and ... maybe even .... nah!

Guns were prevalent when hunting was a sport for the rich and a necessity for the poor, but there were no mass shootings.

How come, if people were just as hate-full and crazy as they are now?
It was the cause of mass shootings we were discussing, no?
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on July 18th, 2016, 6:56 pm 

msklystron » July 18th, 2016, 4:43 pm wrote:... Many of these narcissistic lone shooters seem to be perversely law-abiding (yeah I know they're plotting mass murder which is against the law) and it's not clear that they'd simply seek illegal means to obtain a weapon. It could buy time at least.

To do what? If nobody's prepared to help them, and the ambiance in which they live continues to drip vitriol and inflate their own sense of mission, delay means very little.
... But then I'm Canadian... We don't have the right to bear arms.

No. But I doubt there are ten houses within 10 km of mine that do not contain at least a bird-gun or a .22, properly voided, cleaned and locked up. Except for a few blowhards, we regard guns as necessary tools; don't parade around showing them off or trying to out-gun the federal government, just in case it gets tyrannical.
In fact we don't have much of a gun culture up here.

Don't worry. It's coming! Toronto is trying hard to catch up with the cousins; Calgary has had its show of white supremacy; Vancouver does some pretty brisk illegal trafficking... And our teenaged sons want all the same video games the future-soldier-pool in the US is playing.
Nutjobs are coming out of the woodwork in America right now.

And Belgium, and Turkey and Hungary France and Germany....
IMO they set each other off. There's a one-up-manship that goes on with these deranged individuals. Also the racial/ cultural tension and climate of violence may be a factor as well.

Would that be happening quite so much if they didn't receive so much deliciously hysterical publicity?
And they're just getting started. Remember what happens when you sow the wind? It's germinated.

(PS If you do go to the fear-and-loathing-fest, bring sandals. I didn't see them on the interdict list.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby Paul Anthony on July 18th, 2016, 7:05 pm 

Serpent » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:37 pm wrote:[quote="[url=http://www.sciencechatforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=302269#p302269]

How come, if people were just as hate-full and crazy as they are now?
It was the cause of mass shootings we were discussing, no?

Yes we are. I suggested, as you did, that the proliferation of violence in many forms of media is a major cause. Correct me if I am assuming too much, but aren't we on the same page?
Paul Anthony
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on July 18th, 2016, 10:21 pm 

Paul Anthony » July 18th, 2016, 6:05 pm wrote: I suggested, as you did, that the proliferation of violence in many forms of media is a major cause. Correct me if I am assuming too much, but aren't we on the same page?

I thought so, yes. But then I felt accused of non-fact-based nostalgia, and the need to refute that. Too sensitive on the issue? Probably.
I don't think there was a time that we should strive to return to, but I do believe there was a period of hope for political and social progress; an opportunity that has been very badly bungled - or, as we conspiracy-theorists like to say, hijacked.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby msklystron on July 19th, 2016, 2:08 am 

Buying time might cut down the carnage a bit. ...if mass murder is too much trouble some of these deranged types would simply off their family members or co-workers, etc. instead. Admittedly not a great alternative.

Don't worry. It's coming! Toronto is trying hard to catch up with the cousins; Calgary has had its show of white supremacy; Vancouver does some pretty brisk illegal trafficking... And our teenaged sons want all the same video games the future-soldier-pool in the US is playing.

The late Mayor Rob Ford tried to ban guns after gang crossfire injured 23 and killed 2 young people at a neighbourhood BBQ. Wasn't building a wall suggested at the time? Apparently his powers didn't extend quite that far. Toronto is one of the world's safest cities. Calgary and the Peg not so much.

Lately my teens play Pokémon GO... Because augmented reality is better than real reality. It's so new I'm not sure what to make of it yet.

Sandals at a coronation?
msklystron
Forum Neophyte

Postby Serpent on July 19th, 2016, 8:36 am 

You don't remember the great president Bush winning the hearts and minds of Iraq?
Harper built a wall in Toronto. Shows that being godly is more powerful than being a fathead.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on July 19th, 2016, 9:50 am 

Chris Rock has it right: make all guns legal, forget licensing or background check, but bullets cost $5000 apiece.

Paul and Serpent: great curmudgeon contest! Not sure if I agree in all particulars of what was better, but there was definitely more courtesy and fewer F-bombs. And courtesy is definitely one of the control rods in the social reactor.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on July 19th, 2016, 9:55 am 

MsK, there's a new thread here on the possible hazards of Pokemon Go,

viewtopic.php?f=117&t=30993&p=302210#p302210

which I knew nothing about until I saw the thread. I really hope your kids are not walking into open manholes or in front of traffic.

Look at me, spreading joy.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby msklystron on July 19th, 2016, 11:55 am 

You don't remember the great president Bush winning the hearts and minds of Iraq?
Harper built a wall in Toronto. Shows that being godly is more powerful than being a fathead.

Ah. Being a class-A fathead seems to lead to godly-hood. Trump is winning hearts and minds among ISIS members with every fatheaded knock against Muslims. At home, his loudmouth-ism garners adoration from grassroots angry types (the politically disillusioned/anti-intelligentsia and/or bigots) among the right.

Seeing the wall go up in TO was unsettling, but it was police tactics, specifically indiscriminate kettling, that seemed fatheaded and dictatorial.

I'm not alone in predicting more global and local violence (and more increasingly heinous acts by deranged individuals) if Trump is elected.
msklystron
Forum Neophyte

Postby msklystron on July 19th, 2016, 12:00 pm 

MsK, there's a new thread here on the possible hazards of Pokemon Go, which I knew nothing about until I saw the thread. I really hope your kids are not walking into open manholes or in front of traffic.

Most of the Pokémon virtual critters are downtown. I warned them to use the buddy system, watch their step and try not to get pickpocketed. Fun for teens always equals terror for parents.
msklystron
Forum Neophyte

Postby msklystron on July 19th, 2016, 12:11 pm 

Chris Rock has it right: make all guns legal, forget licensing or background check, but bullets cost $5000 apiece.

If enacted, buy shares in lead... (Although I agree purchasing/ obtaining ammo should be hard.) Real change will be slow and based in compassionate policies. More dollars spent on mental health and more kindness in general. With respect to the victims, mass shootings (by deranged individuals) are cries for help after all.
msklystron
Forum Neophyte

Postby zetreque on July 19th, 2016, 4:01 pm 

msklystron » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:11 am wrote: More dollars spent on mental health and more kindness in general.

I disagree with a lot of what was said, but I agree with that. As far as I am concerned, that might be the only actual solution to this crazy world we are living in. But even that, is more complicated. Kindness needs to be built in from childhood nurturing and community. Other than that, I'm pessimistic here in that there is no solution to the hole we have dug for ourselves societally with respect to this topic and I am against restricting any more freedoms unless those freedoms grant people the opportunity to be rude. When someone is rude, that is a major sign they need a mental health check.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Paul Anthony on July 19th, 2016, 10:19 pm 

Here's an approach we may hear more about as it's use expands:

http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-richard-berk-future-crime/?AID=7236

"He’s currently working on an algorithm that he says will be able to predict at the time of someone’s birth how likely she is to commit a crime by the time she turns 18. The only limit to applications like this, in Berk’s mind, is the data he can find to feed into them".
Paul Anthony
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on July 20th, 2016, 9:00 am 

Sounds dystopian in its potential to "brand" people. Phildickian, even. See Biowizard's thread this morning on the computer messing up MRI tests.
Braininvat
Resident Member

PreviousNext

Return to Political Theory