Trump: An Emerging Dictatorship?

This is a forum for discussing philosophical theories of government and social structure. It is not a venue for partisan rants or plugging favored candidates.

Re: Trump: An Emerging Dictatorship?

Postby Mossling on August 26th, 2020, 11:01 pm 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... don-mcgahn
Former White House counsel Don McGahn endured screaming matches with Donald Trump, badgering phone calls at home on his birthday and the president saying “some crazy shit” in order to advance the project closest to McGahn’s heart: packing the federal judiciary with activist conservative judges.

McGahn’s lead role in developing the roster of judges used by Trump to remake the federal judiciary – Trump has elevated 201 judges and counting, including two supreme court justices – has long been known.

But a new book by the New York Times reporter Michael Schmidt reveals for the first time the trials that McGahn, a libertarian who saw extreme judges as the best way to limit the scope of government, underwent to take advantage of the “once-in-a-never-again” opportunity he had in the chaotic early days of the Trump White House.
Mossling

Postby Mossling on August 26th, 2020, 11:07 pm 

edy420 » August 25th, 2020, 5:30 am wrote:Based on the supported evidence in this thread (none), I have to assume that most of the talking points about Trump is just that. Talking points lacking evidence. A bunch of allegations and montages, are not evidence of a dictatorship. Just because you all agree with each other is not evidence either, it only solidifies my theory that this is an echo chamber. Unless someone can make a list of 3 legitimate reasons with supporting evidence, I think I should just avoid this topic. I just don't have the time to engage in make believe.

I'd recommend not following the pastime illustrated by your avatar, my friend.

The topic of this thread is about a possible emerging dictatorship.

It seems your time and energy has been wasted here - as the result of a basic cognitive error, and I would suggest using it more efficiently.
Mossling

Postby Mossling on August 27th, 2020, 10:06 pm 

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/opinion/t ... 432184001/
RNC? We only see a TNC, the Trump National Convention
As this week’s convention to nominate Trump for a second term got underway Monday, something else was clear. There really is no Republican National Convention to speak of. It has been replaced by an extravaganza of adulation, with numerous speakers lavishing the kind of praise on the president that one would expect to hear in some forlorn dictatorship.

The event itself is less Republican National Convention than Trump National Convention. He has plastered his moniker on everything else. Why not on the party and its quadrennial gathering?

During Monday’s speeches, Trump was called pretty much everything but a messiah. Republican activist Charlie Kirk even described him as “the bodyguard of Western civilization.”

Over the course of the week, seven Trump family members — his wife, four adult children and two of his children’s significant others — are scheduled to speak.

The roster of speakers who aren't related to Trump is heavy on people like Reps. Jim Jordan of Ohio and Matt Gaetz of Florida, known for their fealty to the president, and light on candidates for statewide office. Former Republican luminaries such as George W. Bush, who served two terms as president, and Mitt Romney, the 2012 nominee, are nowhere to be seen.
Mossling

Postby Serpent on August 27th, 2020, 11:57 pm 

Got enough flags?
They were outside, Trump gave his speech, and no lighting struck him.
Just to reinforce my atheism.
Serpent
Resident Member

TheVat liked this post

Postby edy420 on August 28th, 2020, 10:16 am 

Im well aware of the KKK history. No land is pure. No past is without horror. You inherit the culture you are born into. Its absurd to fear your past, so much that you want to destroy it. Why not put them in a museum as Serpent suggested. Beheading a statue of your past is a sign of being a slave. Demolishing, still costs money and is disrespectful to your heritage.

My cultures memorabilia, are carvings of our ancestors sexually abusing, murdering, cannibalizing AND enslaving rival tribes (Maori Art). Just because we respect these carvings, does not mean we endorse those actions. Neighboring tribes depict graphics of them enslaving and eating my ancestors, but this does not give me the right to burn them down. What a disgraceful idea. Whats even more despicable, is the idea that I demand the pitty of a white race, in an attempt to attain the right to the destruction of these memorabilia. That only reflects being a slave of hate.

*edit, admittedly terrorist is too potent a term, even for my taste. Allow me to rephrase... Misguided, angry and misunderstood mob of emotionally distraught, self victimized, egotistical delinquents on a crash course to self destruction, who continue to enslave and oppress themselves in hate and violence, all while creating enemies in fellow Americans... Lets just call them "peaceful protesters".*

Also, please look into the logic flaw I call the bad apple gambit. Reputable news sources show that 99% of protesters are peacefully calling from criminal justice reform

The world doesn't see that. We see a bunch of angry, undisciplined children. In the same way that we don't see a 99% peaceful man, if he beats his wife 1% of the time. Nor 99% good police if 1% suck. The perception of good is skewed by evil.

To think that protest = change, is a misconception. I think of protesting, as a political tool that brings awareness to those who might not know about your cause. By design, it is only supposed to create discussion. If you have any validity/credibility to your cause, then people will recognize and talk about it. Only then can you begin building on reform. These peaceful protesters don't want that. They want change now, like little children.

Before I really get started, let me first say that any loss of life is a tragedy.

Police Brutality is a myth. George Floyds autopsy shows he had nearly 4x the lethal dose of Fentanyl, and a weak heart. Which obviously means his death by police brutality is now a controversy (at least in the eyes of the law). As someone who has been in positions where its hard to breath or has blacked out/ made others black out, I can tell you for a fact, that George Floyd could breath.

As it turns out, Im a bit of an expert on the myth of "police brutality". In my youth, I considered myself, A Lion Amongst Men; A victim Of Police Brutality. Ironic paradox?

In older threads, I talk about police altercations where Ive broken my hand, or another time I was gang bashed in the cells by 5 officers. I used to brag about how one time it took 10 police to take me down (probably only 3, but 10+ were there). Another time, I dragged an officer around my entire home, twice, when eventually his partner got me from behind and they were able to choke me out. Ive trained in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Zen-Do Kai, Kick Boxing, Muay Thai, back yard brawls, wrestling, street fights you name it. Much of my history Ive talked about in older posts. Long story short, what happened to George Floyd and Jacob Blake was necessary, because of people like me. Now I can reflect, I see that Police brutality is a myth. Necessary force, is necessary.

To solve a problem, you must first identify it. Try refocus your perception with the fact that Police brutality is a myth. We are left with officer misconduct, and individual cowards posing as peace keepers/law enforcement. Theres a big difference between that and systemic racism.

If an officer ever has to say "for my safety" then they are a risk to the safety of the public. IMHO Just uttering those words "for my safety" should be grounds for dismissal. You don't send a fire fighter to save lives if he has a phobia of flames. Thankfully, the general public has found a way to identify and eliminate these tyrants...

The most effective movement in eliminating tyranny is Constitutional Auditors on social media. They bait the police to engage and attempt to anger them, while staying within their legal rights. Then put the interaction up on social media for public review. When an officer acts out, literally hundreds of subscribers write into departments demanding disciplinary action. If you truly care about police reform, then please become a member of the "Constitutional Auditors" movement. One of my favorites James Freeman.

Officers have been fired, policy reviewed, and auditors have sued for $40k-$200k. This movement gives me confidence that police reform is in due process. But challenging the law is like playing with fire.

I watch Constitutional Auditors of various ethnicities. It appears that a persons skin colour is irrelevant when it comes to police mis/conduct. The only three relevant factors I can identify are 1. Attitude 2. Knowledge of the law/rights, and 3. An officers mental in/stability. For me personally, I conclude that the perception of police brutality, is just our misinterpreted view of the 99% good police work and 1% mentally unfit law enforcement tyrants.

Take it from me, a black errr.. ex "peaceful protester". From Lion to Lamb.

You should also be aware that violence has been greatest in those locations where police and federal agents have escalated against demonstrators. Often showing in their choices that they were there to protect property and not people. Often attacking people providing medical assistance to the gassed and beaten.

Funny you should mention that. Its true, I do watch the propaganda news outlets for information, but I try balance it out with raw footage and Fox News reports. In my previous post, I stated that "If the police don't defend the people, the people will defend themselves", and literally hours later in Kenosha, an armed medical aid/property protector shot two peaceful protesters dead, then blew a hole in the arm of another one who had taken aim with a pistol. I reviewed the raw footage within an hour of it happening. Then waited patiently for the "reputable" media to conduct some journalism so I could link... only.. CNN made up some bogus story about a vigilante, and CBS said the footage was too graphic.

The truth is, this "vigilante" was seen in one video helping people that were injured from these peaceful protesters, utilizing his skills as a trained EMT, while he himself was suffering from being pepper sprayed. In another video, hes seen running for his life from the "peaceful protesters", through a parking lot while being attacked. In the third clip hes running towards the police for help but hes pushed to the ground. Hes forced to shoot the first peaceful protester thats about to stomp his head, before shooting a second peaceful protester attacking with a skateboard. The third peaceful protester approaches him with a pistol and got shot in the arm. The other 10+ attackers put their arms up or ran, so he left them alone. Don't trust the media that said the third guy had a phone, in close up photo's its clearly a pistol.

The CBS footage takes a snippet from the video of him helping injured people, cuts that part out and only shows the part where he answers the cameraman "we don't use non lethal". Making him look like a killer on the loose, before hes even attacked and has to defend himself.

This sub standard of journalism is foreign to me. Everything is taken out of context and directed by an obvious narrative. The corruption is sickening.

If American politics didn't have such an astounding, prolific impact on the New Zealand demographic, then I would avoid yous like the plague.
edy420

Postby edy420 on August 28th, 2020, 10:33 am 

Mossling,

I'd recommend not following the pastime illustrated by your avatar, my friend.

Every time I log in, it makes me giggle. Its been 2 years since I quit. I fear not, my past.. I embrace it.

The topic of this thread is about a possible emerging dictatorship.

I have only heard one quote from Trump, that concerns me, as a "red flag" of an emerging dictatorship. When talking about the mail in vote system, hes clear in that, he will not accept a corrupted vote. If this means that he retains power by force, then he is in fact a dictator.

If the voting system is corrupted, it will most certainly lead to the destruction of the United States of America. To the victor, go the spoils. I keep yous in my prayers.

It seems your time and energy has been wasted here - as the result of a basic cognitive error, and I would suggest using it more efficiently.

Thats a nice way of saying get lost.

Sure.
edy420

Postby Serpent on August 28th, 2020, 10:40 am 

Hello, floor. I see you could use a wash.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby TheVat on August 28th, 2020, 11:43 am 

Funny you should mention that. Its true, I do watch the propaganda news outlets for information, but I try balance it out with raw footage and Fox News reports...

LOL! Whew. That was hilarious.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby Mossling on August 28th, 2020, 11:50 pm 

TheVat » August 29th, 2020, 12:43 am wrote:
Funny you should mention that. Its true, I do watch the propaganda news outlets for information, but I try balance it out with raw footage and Fox News reports...

LOL! Whew. That was hilarious.

Yes, from a "gotta laugh or else cry" perspective.

From wiki entry on learned helplessness:
Learned helplessness is behavior exhibited by a subject after enduring repeated aversive stimuli beyond their control. It was initially thought to be caused from the subject's acceptance of their powerlessness: discontinuing attempts to escape or avoid the aversive stimulus, even when such alternatives are unambiguously presented. Upon exhibiting such behavior, the subject was said to have acquired learned helplessness.

I think this explains a lot of these 'enablers' behaviour, perhaps, and maybe mixed with a bit of Stockholm syndrome.

'School of Hard Knocks' - "it never did ne any harm, and if you go around telling anyone it did, I'll beat the sh*t out of you!".

That kind of thing.

People calling each other 'dog,' and trying to be a 'lion,' .... as if human beings do not in fact exist...

Tragedies all over the world seem to generate the exact same behavior - people forming 'wolf packs' in order to try to win at the 'human society game.'

They don't seem to see the irony in it - perhaps they are too busy downgrading and denigrating their own innate human potential; their higher intelligence, to be able to :/
Mossling

Postby TheVat on September 3rd, 2020, 1:22 pm 

TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby charon on September 3rd, 2020, 1:55 pm 

Vat -

From that link:

Trump shockingly defended his 17-year-old supporter Kyle Rittenhouse, who drove across state lines into Wisconsin where he illegally carried a weapon in the streets of Kenosha and then shot and killed two people.

Do you have any links/quotes on that?
charon
Resident Member

Postby TheVat on September 3rd, 2020, 5:40 pm 

It was widely reported by major news outlets. Reuters or beeb probably have reports. Or CNN. Or NPR. APnews. Etc.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby TheVat on September 6th, 2020, 11:30 am 

https://election.princeton.edu/2020/06/ ... checklist/

This tracks some metrics of authoritarian governance over the past 3+ years.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby Serpent on September 6th, 2020, 12:08 pm 

Excellent article. Thanks.
I was mocked by a few people as being hysterical.

Isn't everyone who ever tells inconvenient truths?
Just like the economic meltdown and the corona pandemic -- Nobody could have seen it coming!!!
(because all those who did were ignored, sidelined and silenced)
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby charon on September 6th, 2020, 8:26 pm 

Vat -

It was widely reported by major news outlets. Reuters or beeb probably have reports. Or CNN. Or NPR. APnews. Etc.

I did see it at the time. I'd forgotten it. Well, the kid doesn't look like a homicidal maniac. On the other hand he went into a public arena with a semi-automatic rifle... at seventeen.

Who are his goddam parents?!!!
charon
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on September 6th, 2020, 10:36 pm 

charon » September 6th, 2020, 7:26 pm wrote: Well, the kid doesn't look like a homicidal maniac.

He's a police groupie and trump supporter.
He's one of the byproducts of an overheated culture in a crazy world.

His mother is a nurse's aid; single mother, maybe overindulgent; she probably hasn't much control over him. But, see, if a kid wants to be a policeman, most parents would think he's on the right track.
https://www.boston.com/news/national-news-2/2020/08/27/who-is-kyle-rittenhouse
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby charon on September 7th, 2020, 6:58 am 

I think that's what they call a rhetorical question.
charon
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on September 7th, 2020, 10:50 am 

charon » September 7th, 2020, 5:58 am wrote:

I think that's what they call a rhetorical question.

You might. Other people, including reporters, have asked it in good earnest. It's a legitimate question regarding the origins of any young offender, and in this case, it becomes an urgent one, because false information has been posted on social media.
https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/aug/31/facebook-posts/no-photo-does-not-show-kyle-rittenhouses-mother-ni/
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/kyle-rittenhouse-parents/
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby Mossling on September 7th, 2020, 12:21 pm 

Mossling

Postby charon on September 7th, 2020, 1:22 pm 

You might. Other people, including reporters, have asked it in good earnest.

Of course they did, it's their job, but I'm not a reporter or similar. I don't actually need to know exactly who or what his parents are.

Not everything is literal. But it's still a comment on absurd and frightening parenting.
charon
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on September 7th, 2020, 2:09 pm 

It's more a comment on the state of American politics...
...which is not as exceptional as might seem at first glance.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby charon on September 7th, 2020, 3:18 pm 

No, parenting isn't 'American politics'. Parenting is about how human beings, male and female, care for their young.

I doubt if they do care that much. They give great care up to a certain age and then stop bothering very much. They may say all the words but the real feeling isn't there.
charon
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on September 7th, 2020, 5:02 pm 

charon » September 7th, 2020, 2:18 pm wrote:No, parenting isn't 'American politics'. Parenting is about how human beings, male and female, care for their young.

I doubt if they do care that much. They give great care up to a certain age and then stop bothering very much. They may say all the words but the real feeling isn't there.

How many teenagers have you raised?
Serpent
Resident Member

TheVat liked this post

Postby charon on September 7th, 2020, 5:27 pm 

None, but that's totally irrelevant.

viewtopic.php?f=117&t=35997
charon
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on September 7th, 2020, 6:12 pm 

charon » September 7th, 2020, 4:27 pm wrote:

None, but that's totally irrelevant.

It seems to me relevant to how well one is qualified to judge other people's parenting efforts.
But you're right in that it's irrelevant to the thread topic.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby charon on September 8th, 2020, 5:51 am 

You don't need to be a parent to see that it's beyond dangerous and irresponsible to give a real, actual, loaded, semi-automatic weapon to a 17 year old fantasist who thinks he's a policeman and let him go into the streets where there's unrest and protest! Do you call that 'parenting effort'?

For chrissakes! I refuse to discuss this. It isn't normal.
charon
Resident Member

Postby charon on September 8th, 2020, 6:04 am 

viewtopic.php?f=117&t=35997
charon
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on September 8th, 2020, 10:23 am 

charon » September 8th, 2020, 4:51 am wrote:You don't need to be a parent to see that it's beyond dangerous and irresponsible to give a real, actual, loaded, semi-automatic weapon to a 17 year old fantasist who thinks he's a policeman and let him go into the streets where there's unrest and protest!

On what basis do you assume that his mother gave him the gun?
According to one [unvetted] source
the gun belonged to a friend of Rittenhouse who lives in Wisconsin. Therefore, he had the gun illegally, authorities say.

Do you call that 'parenting effort'?

I don't call it anything, since I'm not in possession of the facts. IOW don't know what I'm talking about.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby charon on September 8th, 2020, 10:30 am 

I expect it'll all come out in the wash :-)
charon
Resident Member

Postby Mossling on September 9th, 2020, 9:49 pm 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ion-threat
Brian Murphy, said he was demoted in August from his position running the department’s office of intelligence and analysis, because of his refusal to go along with the fabrication of intelligence to match Donald Trump’s rhetoric, and for making formal complaints about the political pressure. He filed a whistleblower reprisal complaint on Tuesday.

Murphy was transferred to a DHS management position after his team was found to have collected information on reporters and protesters in Portland, Oregon. In his complaint, he claimed the office “never knowingly or deliberately collected information on journalists, at least as far as Mr Murphy is aware or ever authorized”, and he described the reporting as “significantly flawed”.

He insisted the real reason for his transfer was his refusal to manipulate vital intelligence on national security.

In the whistleblower complaint, Murphy alleges that the efforts to falsify DHS intelligence dated back to 2018, when the then homeland security secretary Kirstjen Nielsen asked his office to inflate the numbers of known or suspected terrorists crossing the border with Mexico, in support of Trump’s demand for a border wall.

Murphy said the intelligence identified three such terrorist cases. In December 2018, Nielsen told the House judiciary committee there were 3,755.

[...]

Murphy’s most serious allegations concern the effort to downplay Russian meddling in the election, while it was actually under way in the course of the campaign.

[...]

Murphy was told by his superiors he “needed to specifically modify the section on white supremacy in a manner that made the threat appear less severe, as well as include information on the prominence of violent ‘leftwing’ groups”. When he refused, the HTA was taken out of his hands.
Mossling

PreviousNext

Return to Political Theory