Asgardia - A new country in space

This is a forum for discussing philosophical theories of government and social structure. It is not a venue for partisan rants or plugging favored candidates.

Asgardia - A new country in space

Postby zetreque on June 16th, 2017, 12:13 pm 

There is a new country in the works called Asgardia (created by scientists, entrepreneurs, engineers and legal experts).
Confused? Let's try to understand this.

They just released their second press conference
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBtS8PlGpG4

With pessimistic thinking, one might interpret this as a type of power grab in space by setting up a governing structure beyond Earth before people start settling it. One might also think it has some hidden intentions using the legal system to its advantage.

On the optimist side, these people are muddling their way through something that will turn into the first country that covers the entire human race once they enter into space. This could be the first step in united all Earth under a united nation (other than the UN attempt of course). From the PR's they don't seem to know exactly what it will end up being because it's all just an experiment with good intentions.

It sounds like Asgardia is going to go through many constitutional changes as it develops and they are trying to figure out how to govern space. It seems like it's going to be a democratic process in that citizens vote on constitutional changes. It could be a democratic experiment to see how to govern space. Their first voting day is officially going to be June 18th. Members of the government are going to be elected and though I have only read the first few pages of the constitution, the current president is in a five year term I think he said.

Their intended goals appear to be promoting peace, scientific integrity, equal opportunity, and equality in space.
I think the worry is that corporate powers, monopolies, money, and military power will extend into our exploration of space and pose a threat to us below them on the surface.

The other goal or intent is this nation is trying to attract scientists to work together to protect us from space baring hazards like solar CME's, asteroids, etc.

One of the main ideas behind this concept is to promote free scientific knowledge.
The first 1.5 million citizens are going to get free data access on the satellite they are launching in a few months. It's not clear how much storage. Right now the website says 100kb but it is conflicting with other reports. After that it's up to the people on how to allocate and govern it. I've been watching it the past couple days and it doesn't appear to be jumping in citizen ship that fast past about 213k

There are many other questions to this. One of the biggest I have is what kind of economy and financing this country is going to have. Unfortunately they are going to need some sort of financing in order to deal with real nations. BUT if they minimize real property and land holdings, then that financial burden could be small. It sounds like the capital could end up being in Austria since they are "military neutral." A possible negative to being a citizen is if the citizens vote and suddenly you have a tax obligation. I talked with one of the site admins who said that the tax system could be similar to Austria since the offices are in Austria. The legal team in the PR however made it sound like Asgardia is currently in USA jurisdiction.

Another concern is dual citizenship. If this becomes a country accepted under the UN, how will countries like the USA respond to a possible conflict in loyalties?

The concept sounds amazing but until we understand the tax burden and transparency or the legal obligations, I think people should be cautious about this.

Check it out and post back some thoughts. Since this is a whole nation we are talking about, the thread could go in any number of directions. I suggest reading through the proposed constitution and discussing that.
https://asgardia.space
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: Asgardia - A new country in space

Postby zetreque on July 18th, 2017, 12:06 am 

I am surprised no one was more interested in exploring this. Last chance to become a citizen before constitution voting but websites do warn about future tax obligations.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Return to Political Theory