The whole world is merging....!

This is a forum for discussing philosophical theories of government and social structure. It is not a venue for partisan rants or plugging favored candidates.

The whole world is merging....!

Postby SciameriKen on August 23rd, 2017, 11:20 pm 

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companie ... ar-AAqBEcY

Does the federal trade commission do anything? Just green lighted Amazon to buy up Whole Foods - I am not optimistic about this one.
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

zetreque liked this post

Re: The whole world is merging....!

Postby zetreque on August 23rd, 2017, 11:39 pm 

I stopped shopping at Whole Foods already. The handful of items we bought there slowly declined as they have gotten worse. This merger makes no sense to me.

The whole world is merging into one corporation?

The FTC hasn't been upholding anti-monopoly laws for a while now. We have extremely powerful telecom conglomerates. Direct TV ATT should never have been allowed to merge if we had anti-monopoly laws actually functioning.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby SciameriKen on August 23rd, 2017, 11:50 pm 

zetreque » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:39 am wrote:I stopped shopping at Whole Foods already. The handful of items we bought there slowly declined as they have gotten worse. This merger makes no sense to me.

The whole world is merging into one corporation?

The FTC hasn't been upholding anti-monopoly laws for a while now. We have extremely powerful telecom conglomerates. Direct TV ATT should never have been allowed to merge if we had anti-monopoly laws actually functioning.

I think it makes a lot of sense -- Amazon was already playing around with stores that have virtually no clerks and I think that is where they will eventually take whole foods. They will probably even have drones delivering food purchases. I would say of all food stores, whole foods probably has the highest percentage of Amazon customers as well. I think amazon wants to sell food, but came to realize their online method (the amazon market) wasn't getting the job done -- food has to be brick and mortar.
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby zetreque on August 23rd, 2017, 11:53 pm 

All I can say is if any drone flies over my property it will be coming down. Fun Fact: Amazon is on the boycott list for companies that sell Trump products.

How does whole foods relate to having no clerks?
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby SciameriKen on August 23rd, 2017, 11:57 pm 

zetreque » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:53 am wrote:All I can say is if any drone flies over my property it will be coming down. Fun Fact: Amazon is on the boycott list for companies that sell Trump products.

How does whole foods relate to having no clerks?

My prediction -- within 7 years -- Whole foods will replace nearly all clerks with the new walk out with the product technology.
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby zetreque on August 23rd, 2017, 11:59 pm 

Why is whole foods a match for that technology?
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby SciameriKen on August 24th, 2017, 12:19 am 

zetreque » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:59 am wrote:Why is whole foods a match for that technology?

The place is crawling with early adopters! :)
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

BioWizard liked this post

Postby zetreque on August 24th, 2017, 12:23 am 

SciameriKen » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:19 pm wrote:
zetreque » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:59 am wrote:Why is whole foods a match for that technology?

Does walk out technology work for the increasing numbers of homeless that hang out around the outside of the store?
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby SciameriKen on August 24th, 2017, 12:58 am 

zetreque » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:23 am wrote:
SciameriKen » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:19 pm wrote:

Does walk out technology work for the increasing numbers of homeless that hang out around the outside of the store?

Here is a good article about the technology -- including how it stops shoplifting..

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2016 ... 17a94663fb
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby zetreque on August 24th, 2017, 1:19 am 

That' answers my question. Every homeless person and myself that doesn't have a phone to use that app can't buy anything with that system. It creates a reliance on another company to supply the phone.

So unless they offer a way to just login to a station when you enter the store and a way to prevent you from logging in as someone else it's further leaving the lower class behind. There is still a large portion of society that cannot and refuse to use computers. Just the other day a woman was telling me how she went in to apply for a bartender job and she had to fill out a computer application. She just walked out because she can't even move the mouse of a computer but she is one of the best bar tenders in town. She likes to socialize with people not fiddle around with computers.

Just like when you visit a website and you are logged in, the Amazon Go shopping experience is tracking all of your shopping behaviors. Over time this will inform Amazon on the exact placement of products and how consumers may interact with them

How to exploit us further taking advantage of people to gain the most money from them using the cheapest means necessary. This technology does nothing to improve the world. It doesn't care about people it only cares about profit.

Sure glad I'm headed in the direction of growing my own food and making all my own necessities.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby zetreque on August 24th, 2017, 1:29 am 

This brings up a question.

Can corporations be allows to exclude a portion of society?
I'm thinking how you can have night clubs or what do you call them, those gold clubs for rich people to hang out at.
The private sector has the right to control who enters a business.

Costco doesn't allow anyone in who doesn't have a membership for example.

So this seems to be a growing trend.

The question I was just wondering is should this continue to be allowed so that the world gets sectioned off into groups of people? The title of this thread is that the world is merging but this would be a case of the world dividing.

We have laws to prevent things like renter or employee discrimination. This seems like another form of discrimination against those who don't want a technology or against those who can't afford either monetarily or skill capability to purchase from a store.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby BadgerJelly on August 24th, 2017, 3:19 am 

In todays world you kind of have to be connected.

They tried to enforce identity cards in the UK then people protested. Then they chipped passports, set up fear of immigration and now enforce everyone to own a passport in order to apply for a job.

Also, most companies won't employ you if you don't have a bank account, you'll be charged admin. fee if you wish to receive cash (as far as I know companies can simply refuse to pay you if you don't have a bank account? Or as good as.)

I am pretty sure I posted about cryptocurrencies on this forum? That is one area where things are looking up. Perhaps the banks will be taken out of the equation in the future. Right now I am sure they are doing quite a lot to undermine, or gain control of, these new currencies.

Over all it seems inevitable that we'll head toward a kind of Startrek future of "credits" that are accounted for through the internet.

The spread of the internet and the increasing ease of access is most certainly "merging" the world. I personally think the large number of issues surfacing across the globe, the sensationalism and such, are part of this. We're seeing a battle for identity and not just in the material realm. People are fighting for culture, morality, economics and information. Many seem to be taking certain advantages with this and gaining footholds due to the nature masss communications.

With freedom comes greater responsibility. I think we'll be see-sawing for a few decades yet until we come to appreciate the new frontiers before us (many who've been living in relative oblivion to the world at large are being dragged into it willing or not - turmoil is to be expected and I am just surprised things are going as smoothly as they are considering the explosion we've had over the past couple of decades.)
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Return to Political Theory