Brexit Day.

This is a forum for discussing philosophical theories of government and social structure. It is not a venue for partisan rants or plugging favored candidates.

Brexit Day.

Postby Event Horizon on March 29th, 2018, 12:00 pm 

At 11pm last night, the fabled article 50 was triggered by the PM.
As of today, we are no longer part of the EU. Nobody seems to have noticed. And how this affects scientific collaboration could be quite serious, so some creative ideas might be useful.
Event Horizon

Re: Brexit Day.

Postby Kiddo on June 12th, 2018, 11:30 am 

You're right. It's so sad, Brexit is a huge mistake, i can't imagine how it would affect the scientific collaboration. Would the british science be lonely without students and minds from Europe? How it will affect the prices and salaries? Not good, probably, cause it already has created problems with the economy. I've figured some time ago that Britain would be not so interesting for foreign investment as it use to be and i've googled a proof today:
"London, which has always been considered a safe haven for property investments, demonstrated a 1.6% decline in 2017, according to Nationwide Building Society".
I've read that people does not want to invest in british real estate, because it's not EU anymore, so now this money is going to Spain and Greece. Can you imagine the same situation with the science? I can :( Thanks, Brexit, yay! :(
Kiddo
Forum Neophyte

Re: Brexit Day.

Postby Event Horizon on June 12th, 2018, 4:48 pm 

The thing is that we have world class scientists in the UK and people will want to collaborate on all manner of cutting edge science with us. That should give us reason to be positive, which will in itself make for a more attractive environment. There will be some losers, its unavoidable, but there will be winners too and we already collaborate on a worldwide and not just EU basis.
The effects the Remain campaign said would happen have all failed. Cameron even said it would lead to WWIII. There is good reason to be optimistic and I think we all need to get behind our scientists.
Event Horizon

Return to Political Theory