Amazing “discussion” with Fry and Dawkins

This is a forum for discussing philosophical theories of government and social structure. It is not a venue for partisan rants or plugging favored candidates.

Amazing “discussion” with Fry and Dawkins

Postby BadgerJelly on February 25th, 2019, 3:59 am 

Fry does most of the talking and does it damn well too!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SYPZwZud_PA

Note: This is probably better served in the “Lounge” forum I know, but I REALLY wanted people to see this post and watch the talk because it is one that resonates with me and Fry, as always, does a superb job of cutting through the nonsense whilst still dropping in some wonderful nuggets.

In order to keep this in “Political Discussion” forum I would really like to address one point that stood out for me as being something I have been hoping to express myself over the past few years (albeit badly). That is that WE are to blame and that WE - as individuals - cater to reflecting our self “disgust” onto others rather than trying to question ourselves and improve our attitudes about our “world” (Weltanschuuang).

As a question, do you think it is better to listen to those you have a strong dislike for or not? For me I think of Jung in this respect (“that which you most need is where you’d least likely go lookng for it” - to paraphrase). My biggest problem here is knowing where to draw the line and who to actively listen to in order to gain a more broader perspective of human attitudes and thoughts that stretch beyond my personal tastes and interests.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Re: Amazing “discussion” with Fry and Dawkins

Postby charon on February 25th, 2019, 7:31 am 

I'm watching it and Fry's been talking for 10 minutes non-stop so far. I'm still waiting for him to make a point. He seems to be simply reciting a lot of facts without actually saying anything.

I just hope very much that it's not going to become a couple of sceptics patting themselves on the back.

Seen it. Not bad, lots of good points in the end once they'd got off no god, no afterlife, etc etc. It must have been arranged beforehand that it was basically the Stephen Fry show :-)

My biggest problem here is knowing where to draw the line and who to actively listen to in order to gain a more broader perspective of human attitudes and thoughts that stretch beyond my personal tastes and interests

One should undoubtedly read/watch as much as one can from every source. It's obviously too easy just to look at things that merely confirm one's own beliefs. To that end it behoves us to watch/listen closely to ourselves as well to ensure we remain open-minded and free from biased conclusions.
charon

Postby bangstrom on February 25th, 2019, 5:38 pm 

I was not familiar with Stephen Fry prior to watching the video and I was favorably impressed. He has a way of making any topic interesting but I had some difficulty following the discussion without subtitles. I may need to watch more BBC to better learn the language.

My main take away from the conversation came after 47:00 where Fry made a comment to the effect that we take all our self disgust at our greed and rapacity and lay off that burden on politicians whom we pay to take on our disgusting filth. So don’t blame the politicians. The problem is with us.

I like to follow points of view contrary to my own, both scientific and political, if only to be amazed by the flexibility of the human mind to examine the same event and come to totally opposite conclusions. I may listen to a point of view that I strongly dislike to better understand why I dislike it or I may be convinced that my own view is in error which is OK since I trust my ability to change my opinions in the light of new information.
bangstrom

charon liked this post

Postby PaulN on February 25th, 2019, 9:49 pm 

I am always fascinated at how the human mind filters out data that doesn't conform to some prior statement that has been presented to it as wisdom. I know an Aussie who always quotes some radio host he trusts, who said "97 percent of CO2 in the atmosphere is natural." Several have pointed out to him the PPM at the start of the Industrial Revolution, 280, compared to now, 400. Then you watch the mental contortions undergone to maintain the original "wisdom," in the face of the math.

I like the old Jewish saying: " Have an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out onto the floor."
PaulN

Postby Serpent on February 25th, 2019, 10:27 pm 

I tried, but I found all three of them almost completely incomprehensible. Fry alone in a documentary can speak coherently and audibly; Dawkins, giving a lecture, is intelligible. I enjoy both, usually.
I don't know whether it was the format or the mikes, but I didn't get more than one word in ten for the first ten minutes - when they didn't seem to be saying much - then I skipped a bit with no better results.
I'm old; my hearing's shot and Englishmen of a certain age mumble worse than anybody else.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby BadgerJelly on February 25th, 2019, 10:41 pm 

Serpent -

Maybe you’re due a check up?
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on February 26th, 2019, 1:12 am 

Check what up? What's gone ain't coming back.
Serpent
Resident Member

Return to Political Theory