Dies Irae, Dies Illa

This is a forum for discussing philosophical theories of government and social structure. It is not a venue for partisan rants or plugging favored candidates.

Dies Irae, Dies Illa

Postby toucana on March 7th, 2019, 3:29 pm 

Dies irae, dies illa
Solvet saeclum in favilla
Teste David cum Sibylla

Quantus tremor est futurus
Quando Judex est venturus
Cuncta stricte discussurus …

A number of press sources and commentators believe that Robert Mueller will give his report to the Attorney General on Friday. The same sources believe that indictments will be handed down (or unsealed) in respect of at least one of Trump’s children.

https://spectator.us/beware-ides-trump/

The former director of the CIA, John Brennan, has clearly heard the same. He said as much when he appeared on Lawrence O’Donnell’s show on MSNBC, The Last Word.
I think Robert Mueller wants to be able to conclude his work and turn over the investigative threads to the Southern District of New York, the Eastern District of Virginia and other jurisdictions as appropriate. I wouldn’t be surprised if, for example, this week on Friday – not knowing anything about it – but Friday is the day the grand jury indictments come down.’

‘this Friday is better than next Friday, because next Friday is the 15th of March, which is the Ides of March, and I don’t think Robert Mueller will want to have that dramatic flair of the Ides of March when he’ll be delivering what I think are going to be indictments, the final indictments, as well as the report to the Attorney General.’

The Ides of March is the day in the Roman calendar that corresponds to March the 15th, a week tomorrow. Julius Caesar was assassinated on this day in 44 BC.  Shakespeare’s soothsayer warns Caesar: ‘Beware the Ides of March!’
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Re: Dies Irae, Dies Illa

Postby TheVat on March 7th, 2019, 4:10 pm 

If the world dissolves in ashes tomorrow, this speculative article will acquire more weight. A day with some wrath would be nice. I don't think this quite vaults the bar set for PT, not yet anyway, but might as well leave it until tomorrow. It is a question for PT perhaps if a family member of a President is indicted -- how does that establish a chain of responsibility from a POTUS to a relative? How can knowledge be demonstrated along the lines of "what did he know, and when did he learn it?"

I have the feeling Brennan, as former CIA chief, would like to know more than he's currently getting from his antenna.

Interesting times. Like in the old Chinese curse. :-)
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby toucana on March 7th, 2019, 5:47 pm 

If the world dissolves in ashes tomorrow, this speculative article will acquire more weight. A day with some wrath would be nice. I don't think this quite vaults the bar set for PT, not yet anyway, but might as well leave it until tomorrow.

I must be slipping, I normally manage to vault that bar with ease.

For those struggling with the Latin of the Roman Catholic Requiem Mass:-

The day of wrath, that day
Will dissolve the world into ashes
David standing witness with the Sybyll

What a quaking there will be
When the judge is about to arrive
Strictly investigating all things..
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby toucana on March 8th, 2019, 6:47 am 

It is a question for PT perhaps if a family member of a President is indicted -- how does that establish a chain of responsibility from a POTUS to a relative? How can knowledge be demonstrated along the lines of "what did he know, and when did he learn it?"

The link would be of the type arising from and defined by what is usually known as nepotism.

Derived from the Italian word nepos meaning a ‘nephew’, nepotismo as it was known in the 16th century was a practice made notorious by a number of Roman Catholic popes such as Paul III who appointed two young nephews as cardinals of the church when they were aged only 14 and 16 respectively - (Interestingly, Paul III was the pope to whom Nicolas Copernicus dedicated De revolutionibus orbium coelestium).

Nepotism was finally banned, or at least limited, within the Catholic church when Pope Innocent XII issued the bull Romanum Decet Pontificem in 1692.

Nepotism went on to have a lengthy career in British politics. The common phrase “Bob’s your uncle !” is said to have been inspired when Robert Cecil the 3rd Marquess of Salisbury promoted his nephew Arthur Balfour to the post of Chief Secretary for Ireland in what was widely seen as an act of nepotism. Balfour later became prime minister of Britain in 1902.

Political dynasties are nothing new in US politics in spite of the distaste of the Founding Fathers who wholeheartedly objected to power flowing through blood rather than the ballot, and famously said that “No title of nobility shall be granted by the United States”.

The odd thing is that it was the Democratic party that had the most conspicuous form of presidential dynastic power systems in recent memory. The Kennedy family had J.F.K elected as the 35th president in 1960 at the same time that R.F.K was appointed Attorney General, and Edward Kennedy became a senator in 1962. Their Republican opponents at the time had a holy terror that a presidential dynasty might ensue with Robert Kennedy taking over as president in 1968 and 1972, and Edward taking over office in 1976 and 1980.

More recently, the Democrats Bill Clinton and his wife Hillary were elected to office as president and senator respectively, and Hillary who won the plebiscite, was only narrowly defeated within the electoral college by Republican candidate Donald Trump in 2016.

The arrangement of power within the Trump presidency is a little more unusual and somewhat different from anything that went before it. In the first place it involves prestigious and powerful positions within government being given to affinal as well as blood relatives. Jared Kushner is simply a son-in-law, he has no blood relationship.

The other unusual aspect of the Trump presidency is the complete absence of any discernible set of guiding moral principles or political objectives. The bizarre behaviour of Trump and his family becomes much easier to understand when you realise that they are solely interested in exercising governmental power as a method of self-enrichment. All of them, including Ivanka have allegedly been recorded multiple times by foreign intelligence agencies quite flagrantly selling concessions on US policy and trading agreements in return for enormous ‘investments’ in their squalid personal property portfolios.

James Comey the former FBI director who was controversially dismissed by president Trump in May 2017 has quite explicitly described the Trump clan as a crime family, and he would know - Comey successfully prosecuted the infamous Mafia gangster and ’Teflon don’ John Gotti in 1992.

The likeliest and most appropriate unravelling of the Trump clan is going to be a RICO prosecution by SDNY rather than an impeachment within Congress. Like all major RICO prosecutions, the main evidence will come from wire-taps.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby TheVat on March 8th, 2019, 10:24 am 

RICO does make sense when you're looking at a familial corruption, albeit tricky to prosecute. We hear a lot of rumblings here as to what SDNY is up to, but the wheels grind slowly. One thing I notice about Trump is that he has associates, but few real friends. This suggests to me that the pool of potential whistleblowers is ample.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby PaulN on March 8th, 2019, 2:11 pm 

I don't see why we should expect it today specifically. Mueller could just as well announce on a day next week that's not Friday, and thus avoid the Ides of March drama. It's now around 1 pm in Washington DC, and I'm not seeing anything on news feeds.
PaulN

Postby toucana on March 22nd, 2019, 7:17 pm 

Within the last few minutes US Media are reporting that Robert Mueller's report has been completed and delivered to the DOJ.

https://edition.cnn.com/politics/live-news/mueller-submits-russia-report/index.html

A number of media sources have claimed that the report was actually completed some two weeks ago, just as my OP originally said, but was held up because the new AG William Barr and Robert Mueller were in disagreement over recommendations on further indictments.

https://spectator.us/robert-muellers-day-off/

US media are quoting DOJ spokesmen as saying that the report makes no recommendations on further indictments. This however does not necessarily mean that there won't be any new indictments. It is widely believed by many lawyers that numerous sealed indictments have already been filed against a number of parties of interest, including President Trump himself.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby TheVat on March 22nd, 2019, 8:27 pm 

Sealed indictments are more likely against a family member than a sitting POTUS, though the DOJ could pass along a recommendation to Congress if there is clear criminality. Our legal system is woefully confused on if the POTUS can be indicted while holding office. Many here would like to see Congress resolve this confusion. It's possible that Mueller could have earlier farmed out some lines of inquiry to SDNY, Virginia, and other jurisdictions, who would then have to decide if there was a cause of action that could feasibly be brought against a sitting POTUS. Or if it would be necessary to wait until January 20, 2021 to bring an indictment.

I will note the Spectator writer is not the distinguished DC journalist Andrew Cockburn, but a nom de plume for the editorial staff of the venerable British magazine.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Return to Political Theory