Noam Chomsky weighs in on Russiagate

This is a forum for discussing philosophical theories of government and social structure. It is not a venue for partisan rants or plugging favored candidates.

Noam Chomsky weighs in on Russiagate

Postby hyksos on March 27th, 2019, 1:29 am 

Chomsky weighs in on Russiagate.

!Trigger Warning! those familiar with Noam Chomksy's politics, a head's up before you watch. Chomsky is going to say exactly the opposite of what you expect.

hyksos

Re: Noam Chomsky weighs in on Russiagate

Postby BadgerJelly on March 27th, 2019, 3:33 am 

My fav Chomsky interview:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fOIM1_xOSro

Always unshakable and refuses to veer off-topic! Haha!
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby TheVat on March 27th, 2019, 9:01 am 

Hyk, for those who can't watch videos atm, can there be a brief summary of Noam on Russiagate? I would guess "opposite of what expect" means he accepts Mueller's conclusion?
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby hyksos on March 27th, 2019, 1:02 pm 

TheVat » March 27th, 2019, 5:01 pm wrote:Hyk, for those who can't watch videos atm, can there be a brief summary of Noam on Russiagate? I would guess "opposite of what expect" means he accepts Mueller's conclusion?

Interviewer : "What are your overall thoughts on how the medias has reported the Russia-gate collusion with the Kremlin to steal the 2016 election?"

{Chomsky makes a quick facial gesture that looks like exasperation. Then without hesitation,}

Chomsky :
"The whole thing is so farcical that I don't even read the reports. There were careful analysese of the election, and you can see how things changed as the money poured in. There is no sign of any Russian effect."

{Chomsky then goes on a lengthy expository about how the USA has openly and arrogantly interfered in other nation's elections. This includes citing several examples (e.g.the election of Yeltsin). Chomsky then gives the example of Benjamin Netanyahu speaking before congress, which he is says is on-the-surface out-in-the-open interference by a foreign power.}
hyksos

Postby TheVat on March 27th, 2019, 1:42 pm 

Thanks. Makes me want to watch, which I will when I get home. I tend to agree, having for a while felt that Trump didn't really have the political skill or attention span to do any sort of conspiracy with a foreign power. He may have reacted positively (and vaguely) to suggestions from his inner circle during the campaign, and he certainly seems to like Putin in an uncritical way that suggests a lack of understanding of who Putin really is, but I don't see him actively pursuing or organizing anything. Sometimes it seems to me he just likes to be liked by whoever he's in the room with.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Reg_Prescott liked this post

Postby Serpent on March 27th, 2019, 3:12 pm 

It's worth watching - at least, I always enjoy his take on things: the well-reasoned, long view; never the knee-jerk or popular response.

I never thought Putin was stupid enough to trust Trump with anything. Helping destabilize US political institutions, sure, with whatever tool comes to hand. Wanting this particular man to be president, sure; it's bad for America. Making deals with him? Naw.
Serpent
Resident Member

Return to Political Theory