You'd be surprised

All things related to Art! Poetry, painting, literature, visual, theater, movies, tv, music, media, culture, etc. Share your creativity or others', reviews, aesthetic theories, etc.

You'd be surprised

Postby vivian maxine on February 20th, 2017, 7:35 am 

Is the brain hardwired to appreciate poetry?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... ce+News%29
vivian maxine
Resident Member

dandelion liked this post

Re: You'd be surprised

Postby BadgerJelly on February 23rd, 2017, 5:08 am 

Seems a bit sketchy?

I think we all appreciate rhythms and melody and metaphors to sum degree. I would be surprised if we didn't form patterns.

What interests me in "art" is the constrast between order and disorder.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on February 23rd, 2017, 7:16 am 

BadgerJelly » February 23rd, 2017, 4:08 am wrote:Seems a bit sketchy?

I think we all appreciate rhythms and melody and metaphors to sum degree. I would be surprised if we didn't form patterns.

What interests me in "art" is the constrast between order and disorder.

And from a comment I heard on radio the other day, this is the age of disorder. Considering what a very strict alliterative rhyme and rhythm Cynghanedd has, I am almost surprised that the tests proved as much as they did. Perhaps most of the persons had not had much exposure to any poetry of any style. The feel of music helped?
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby -1- on October 20th, 2018, 11:54 pm 

I am not surprised. Poetry has had a long history of going beyond the realm of mere entertainment value... it has served as agitational propaganda tool, as lullaby, as love-enhancer, as humour dictator; the 1848 Hungarian revolution and war of independence was sparked by a remarkable poem by Sandor Petofi.

What does surprise me, however, is the complete suppression in the news media of the fact that poetry causes cancer.
-1-

Postby Brent696 on October 21st, 2018, 6:50 pm 

Not sure if you are still reading Vivian (H),

Poetry on paper is one thing, and such meter and rhyme can draw forth emotions. Poetry recited can draw even more emotion, as orators are aware. Some ancient languages like Sanskrit are said to be sung and it is still sung when many read the Vedic literature. Spanish, French, Italian, I presume referred to as the romantic languages are so because simply speaking them they tend to give off a musical cadence.

It is this draw of emotions through a musical quality that separates poetry from prose, though not all poems can attain to this. But poetry is very much a song, but where as the music of a song might draw more heavily on emotions, good poetry like good songs draw both the thoughts and emotions together, creating a sense of well being within us as their harmonies are imparted to us.

More than surprised I would think music or poetry the preferred state of the mind and more natural state. It is known that our language of origin has a way of influencing us in how we organize our thoughts, and one might think a person who possessed greater harmony between their own emotions and thoughts are more akin to appreciating poetry, at least of a quality type.

But in reading online poetry, or what passes for it today, I have observed a real loss of such harmonies. There is poetry of rhyme, and in ancient Israel the biblical poetry is one of thought also as ideas build upon one another, but poetry today seems to miss both aspects. If fact I think certain disjointed poetry is preferred in the market today as if such makes it contemporary. I might add also that Isaiah, though not typically thought of as a poet due to translation, is to me the greatest poet in the scriptures, and probably who I would conceive of as the most intelligent man, IQ wise, among the writers of the scriptures.

As for "hardwired", just as we can become lost in music, it would make sense poetry, as a type of music, falls in that category also.
Brent696

Return to Art