fantasy art

All things related to Art! Poetry, painting, literature, visual, theater, movies, tv, music, media, culture, etc. Share your creativity or others', reviews, aesthetic theories, etc.

fantasy art

Postby zetreque on November 5th, 2018, 5:06 pm 

Is it just me or is there less good quality art in the world these days than there logically should be?

I was watching a documentary on Netflix about He-Man The Masters of the Universe.
It started around the 70's and from my observation fantasy art really took off into the 80s and 90s.
Growing up I also remember the artwork on T-shirts being much more elaborate which gave way to brand logos and simple stripes or patterns.
Comic books also rose significantly through the late 80's early 90's.

But one would think that with such a larger population in the world today that this kind of artwork would have increased in number but to me it appears to have gone the opposite direction.
Have all the artists and upcoming artists migrated to animation and other industries like movie/gaming effects?
Or maybe the good high quality art is lost in the massive amounts of cheap consumerism toys and merchandise.
Or maybe the "starving artists" were starved even more out of the profession by the drive to pump out larger numbers of cheaper packaging and materials.

I know the talent is out there. What some of these painters and sketchers can do is incredible. I am puzzled why we don't see more of it and can only think to the same old story of profit driven greed.

I don't know about other people, but I miss the days of good quality fantasy art. The days of toys, products and even packaging that had higher quality details. Some of the realism in fantasy art was astounding!

You go looking through T-shirts in stores, even coastal cities and it's just drab. Another example is the incredible Harley-Davidson T-shirts and Nature X-Treme sport T-shirts covered in nature/machine/fantasy combinations that lost their art and traded it in for brand names.
And even worse, the generation of thoughtless memes telling people what to think instead of exploring creativity.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: fantasy art

Postby zetreque on November 5th, 2018, 5:21 pm 

I also remember shopping for school supplies in the 90s and the folders had some incredible artwork on them.That slowly disappeared and gave way for poor graphics or just plain folders with logos.

I still have several folders and T-shirts from back then that I don't wear that often because I don't want to wear them out if I'm just wearing something over them.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby zetreque on November 5th, 2018, 5:35 pm 

I actually find this to be another very concerning direction of culture. It seems like quantity in humans is one factor simply leading to a diminished quality of products and thought.

On a separate thought:
Does anyone care to take a stab at what is behind trends in art? Is it primarily the technology that artists used? The 80's and early 90's not only had some incredible graphics of all sorts, but it seems dominated by neon colors and some glossyness. The 90's took that and had lighter neon colors and added in a lot more tiny geometric patterns and lesser and lesser realism as I will call it here.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby BadgerJelly on November 5th, 2018, 8:28 pm 

You’ll find many of them doing well by streaming online
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on November 6th, 2018, 12:03 am 

zetreque » November 5th, 2018, 4:35 pm wrote:On a separate thought:
Does anyone care to take a stab at what is behind trends in art?

I suspect it's just capitalism at work. Find the lowest common denominator; cater to it by the cheapest possible means; sell the most possible units at the highest possible markup.
Serpent
Resident Member

Return to Art