Nelly Furtado Music Video Showcases Native American Dancing

All things related to Art! Poetry, painting, literature, visual, theater, movies, tv, music, media, culture, etc. Share your creativity or others', reviews, aesthetic theories, etc.

Nelly Furtado Music Video Showcases Native American Dancing

Postby weakmagneto on June 4th, 2012, 11:15 am 

When I watched this video (it's new on the pop charts) I was very happy to see Canadian singing sensation Nelly Furtado appreciating diversity once again. This video showcases Native American Hoop Dancing and Fancy Shawl Dancing. I have provided a link below that provides the music video, Big Hoops, and more information about the dancers and the history of the Fancy Shawl Dance. I have provided a wiki link below about Hoop Dancing.

The video for Nelly Furtado’s single “Big Hoops (Bigger the Better)” has been released, and for fans of hoop dancing it’s a great tribute to the skills of champion hoop dancer Tony Duncan and his brother Kevin (both San Carlos Apache/Arikara/Hidatsa).

Also making a surprise (to us) appearance is Violet Duncan, Plains Cree/Taino, Tony’s wife, performing a fancy shawl dance. Violet served as Miss Indian World 2007.

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2012/05/08/watch-hoop-and-shawl-dancers-in-nelly-furtados-new-video-111931

Wiki Hoop Dancing Info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_American_Hoop_Dance
weakmagneto

Blog: View Blog (6)

Re: Nelly Furtado Music Video Showcases Native American Danc

Postby Watson on June 4th, 2012, 11:40 am 

Very interesting to watch. The visual adds so much to the music. I think it would be less enjoyable just hearing the song. I wonder if that would affect the amount of radio play.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Re: Nelly Furtado Music Video Showcases Native American Danc

Postby Forest_Dump on June 4th, 2012, 6:59 pm 

There has been some use of FN music and dancing in the past including by people like Robbie Robertson. But if you get a chance, see if you can find and visit a pow wow this summer. There are ususally a few (they have regular circuits now) and aside from the music and dancing, you can munch on bison or elk burgers plus buy arts and crafts including t-shirts that do put some cash in FN pockets.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Return to Art