Tomb Raider

All things related to Art! Poetry, painting, literature, visual, theater, movies, tv, music, media, culture, etc. Share your creativity or others', reviews, aesthetic theories, etc.

Tomb Raider

Postby Dave_Oblad on April 30th, 2014, 9:45 pm 

Hi all,

Just wanted to share a couple of things here. First, for those that don't know, Tomb Raider was a Video Game with, at the time, rather advanced graphics. But what I remember most fondly was the Introduction Music. It brings to mind Lara Croft standing in a boat, pushing herself along with a staff, down a dense Jungle Amazon River. Even to this day, it is still one of my favorite pieces of Music.. very beautiful.

Click play below to hear the Melody, about 3 minutes long.

There have been a number of follow-up Lara games, all great. The most recent one is called simply "Tomb Raider 2013". I bought it and played it a few months back. Once started, I could not stop. Played it every spare moment I had to myself. It didn't have quite as Acrobatic Lara as the Earlier Games, but the graphics were freaking awesome. Some one captured the entire game and posted it to YouTube as a Movie. Watch the first 12 minutes to get a feel for how far Computer Graphics have come since the early days. The Game plays like a Movie, but you have control over Lara, where she goes and what she does. In the beginning, sometimes, graphic hints pop up to indicate optional moves or objects of interest. These die out as the game progresses to give a feeling that you are watching a Movie that you have control over, which you actually do. From a story point of view, this is where young Lara begins her career as an Explorer. Check it out:

There is a lot of intense action.. but at times it mellows out so you can just have fun exploring. The whole Game/Movie takes place on a special Island where Lara is shipwrecked.

I give the game a definite 10 on a scale of 10. The artwork and graphics gets a big thumbs up from me.

Best wishes to all,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: Tomb Raider

Postby zetreque on July 13th, 2014, 4:36 am 

Hello Dave,

I would have to agree with you that video games are pieces of art. Some of them can be very well made. I was just given Mafia II today, and Mafia I was really good IMO. It was like an interactive movie similar to tomb raider in a way. It's been years since I played it, but I remember the story-line being excellent, the graphics, the music at the end, and the attention to detail for the time period.

They are like how you can get a new perspective of a different kind of person's life when you watch a movie, except you can play it in a video game between the cinematic scenes.

I don't play as many games as a lot of people, but there are some that stood out. I can't wait to get time to play Mafia II.

I never got into Tomb Raider, but maybe I'll check out that movie you posted. Looks interesting.

zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Return to Art