Pencil Drawing Art

All things related to Art! Poetry, painting, literature, visual, theater, movies, tv, music, media, culture, etc. Share your creativity or others', reviews, aesthetic theories, etc.

Pencil Drawing Art

Postby wolfhnd on December 16th, 2014, 4:21 pm 

I was looking for examples of critters that made art and came across this article on pencil drawings.

http://www.creativebloq.com/illustratio ... s-11121172

My first reaction is that it was not ART but a type of photography that used skill with a pencil instead of film. But then I realized that photography can be art.

Anyway really cool.
wolfhnd
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (3)
Faradavezetrequedandelion and one more user liked this post

Re: Art

Postby Watson on December 16th, 2014, 5:13 pm 

Very impressive.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Re: Pencil Drawing Art

Postby BioWizard on December 16th, 2014, 6:04 pm 

I'm a sucker for hyperrealism with simple media. Really liked them.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby amyycooper89 on August 11th, 2015, 2:52 am 

Creative ................Nice Work
amyycooper89
Forum Neophyte

Postby Darby on August 11th, 2015, 5:24 am 

Amazing.
Darby

Postby zetreque on August 11th, 2015, 7:39 am 

looking through these I realized the obvious. "They are all black and white." That makes sense if they are regular pencil.
I looked again, there is one with a blood hood. Maybe blue pencil?
Anyway. More interesting is when I was looking a 3rd time wondering if I was seeing color in some of the faces, or it ended up being an optical illusion. My mind knows that faces have color, so it naturally paints them in color.
Looking a forth time I think the faces that have more color to me, are the ones that are most familiar from people I may have seen or known in the past. The people that are unfamiliar looking to me are the most black and white because I wonder if perhaps since I don't recognize them as easy, I can not match them to being a certain race that has a certain color skin.

For another example, the rhino looks very black and white to me, and I think that is because rhinos are grey and I assume in my mind that they would make great black and white photography partially because of that.

I vaguely recall studies done on this and I assume there are countless. I also recall a study one where people listened to voices and could not determine if a person talking was black or white, or whatever the politically correct terms are.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Serpent on August 11th, 2015, 7:03 pm 

They're so realistic, your mind does want to put in the colour. But, some, especially the portraits, have the mood and feel of B&W photographs, which makes them even more interesting.

With a camera, you can have poor lighting or composition, but accuracy is unavoidable. "Merely" reproducing reality with a pencil is very, very difficult and takes years of patient observation and practice.
These artists all have a terrific amount of skill.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on March 16th, 2016, 10:04 pm 

There are probably many videos and books out there, but I started watching this one and find it interesting to watch learning about all the different parts of black and white pencil drawing shadows and lighting. Also learning the steps in which some people draw.

Drawing with Graphite by John Muir Laws
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)

Return to Art