Robert Anton Wilson

All things related to Art! Poetry, painting, literature, visual, theater, movies, tv, music, media, culture, etc. Share your creativity or others', reviews, aesthetic theories, etc.

Robert Anton Wilson

Postby hyksos on February 23rd, 2015, 3:09 am 

I recently became temporarily enamoured with Robert Anton Wilson. He has struck me as an instrumentalist of sorts. He is like that one person who could explain Instrumentalism to a bartender (so to speak).
"Is", "is." "is"—the idiocy of the word haunts me. If it were abolished, human thought might begin to make sense. I don't know what anything "is"; I only know how it seems to me at this moment.

hyksos

BadgerJelly liked this post

Satirical riff by Robert Anton Wilson (poking fun at physics

Postby Marshall on February 23rd, 2015, 6:19 pm 

Hi Hyksos, this is thoroughly entertaining high-mockery! Thanks for finding and posting it.
R.A.W. passed away in 2007. Age 75. this clip shows him still going strong (I would guess) in his Seventies.

Doesn't make enough contact with real quantum physics to constitute philosophy of science. But he has great disrespectful attitude and quotes from others.

We don't have a Zen and Dada Comedy section per se, so Art or Odds and Ends would come closest I guess.

There's a fine collection of R.A.Wilson quotes at Wikiquote:

== http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Robert_Anton_Wilson ==
Robert Anton Wilson (January 18, 1932 – January 11, 2007) was an American novelist, essayist, Absurdist philosopher, futurist, and guerilla ontologist, most famous for his satirical work (with Robert Shea), The Illuminatus! Trilogy.
==endquote==
Marshall

Re: Robert Anton Wilson

Postby Marshall on February 23rd, 2015, 7:36 pm 

Informative Wikipedium about R.A.Wilson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Anton_Wilson
==excerpts==
Robert Anton Wilson (born Robert Edward Wilson, January 18, 1932 – January 11, 2007) was an American author, novelist, essayist, editor, playwright, poet, futurist, psychologist, and self-described agnostic mystic. Recognized as an Episkopos, Pope, and saint of Discordianism, Wilson helped publicize the group through his writings and interviews.

Wilson described his work as an "attempt to break down conditioned associations, to look at the world in a new way, with many models recognized as models or maps, and no one model elevated to the truth".[1] His goal being "to try to get people into a state of generalized agnosticism, not agnosticism about God alone but agnosticism about everything."[2]
Among Wilson's 35 books,[10] and many other works, perhaps his best-known volumes remain the cult classic series[11] The Illuminatus! Trilogy (1975), co-authored with Robert Shea. Advertised as "a fairy tale for paranoids," the three books—The Eye in the Pyramid, The Golden Apple, and Leviathan, soon offered as a single volume—philosophically and humorously examined, among many other themes, occult and magical symbolism and history, the counterculture of the 1960s, secret societies, data concerning author H.P. Lovecraft and author and occultist Aleister Crowley, and American paranoia about conspiracies and conspiracy theories. The book was intended to poke fun at the conspiratorial frame of mind.[12]

Wilson and Shea derived much of the odder material from letters sent to Playboy magazine while they worked as the editors of the Playboy Forum.[13] The books mixed true information with imaginative fiction to engage the reader in what Wilson called "guerrilla ontology" which he apparently referred to as "Operation Mindfuck" in Illuminatus! The trilogy also outlined a set of libertarian and anarchist axioms known as Celine's Laws (named after Hagbard Celine, a character in Illuminatus!), concepts Wilson revisited several times in other writings.

Among the many subplots of Illuminatus! one addresses biological warfare and the overriding of the United States Bill of Rights, another gives a detailed account of the John F. Kennedy assassination, in which no fewer than five snipers, all working for different causes, prepared to shoot Kennedy in Dallas, Texas, and the book's climax occurs at a rock concert where the audience collectively face the danger of becoming a mass human sacrifice.
==endquote==
Marshall

Re: Robert Anton Wilson

Postby hyksos on March 10th, 2015, 1:27 am 

Yep. There is something silly and campy about Wilson. His monologues border on performance art or poetry.

There are few other dudes who fit into this genre. The genre is typified by videos showing pristine, beautiful outdoor scenes, and montages of the star-filled sky, while a man does smooth voice-overs of "deep and profound" statements. What is this genre called? Perhaps it is "New Age"? It's hard to tell.

Alan Watts

Terence Mckenna

Deepak Choprah too. (I'll be damned if I'm going to link to any of his material. He gets more exposure than he needs already!)
hyksos

Return to Art