Anybody reading Go Set a Watchman?

All things related to Art! Poetry, painting, literature, visual, theater, movies, tv, music, media, culture, etc. Share your creativity or others', reviews, aesthetic theories, etc.

Anybody reading Go Set a Watchman?

Postby CanadysPeak on August 4th, 2015, 6:28 pm 

Is anyone else reading Go Set a Watchman, or perhaps finished, I'd be interested in a discussion - even a group. I'm at Chapter 9.
CanadysPeak
Resident Expert

Re: Anybody reading Go Set a Watchman?

Postby Braininvat on August 4th, 2015, 8:26 pm 

I heard it was born from a manuscript that was a rough draft for tequila mockingbird, and that Atticus is depicted as a bigot. And that it's not very good and the hoopla undeserved. So I was a bit reluctant. Do you think it's good? Worth reading?
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby CanadysPeak on August 4th, 2015, 8:55 pm 

Braininvat » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:26 pm wrote:I heard it was born from a manuscript that was a rough draft for tequila mockingbird, and that Atticus is depicted as a bigot. And that it's not very good and the hoopla undeserved. So I was a bit reluctant. Do you think it's good? Worth reading?

It's clearly Harper Lee and clearly written before Mockingbird. It's not as good as Mockingbird, but a good read and presents a contemporaneous view of the civil rights era. Atticus seems a bigot, but I'm not sure how that plays out. It is a better book if you've already read Mockingbird. There doesn't seem to be a unifying thread comparable to Boo Radley. But, yes, worth reading, I think.
CanadysPeak
Resident Expert

Postby someguy1 on August 5th, 2015, 1:37 pm 

Braininvat » August 4th, 2015, 6:26 pm wrote:... tequila mockingbird ...

LOL. I thought I was the only one who hears that play on words in my head. Thanks man!
someguy1

Postby Braininvat on August 5th, 2015, 4:48 pm 

I suspect our numbers are legion. But, if not, Gladly, the cross-eyed bear.

I will give GSaW a try.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Return to Art