Photograph

All things related to Art! Poetry, painting, literature, visual, theater, movies, tv, music, media, culture, etc. Share your creativity or others', reviews, aesthetic theories, etc.

Photograph

Postby Watson on October 14th, 2015, 12:47 am 

Do you think this is real? It seems like the mortar lines should be equally visible or at least less visible deeper into the shadow. Areas of the nose, ears, legs, tail and upper back should have more mortar lines visible compared to the thicker body shadow where it is more visibly lite. Also, the lines of the wall seem to indicate we are looking straight on the wall. What is the lighting? A flash makes no sense. I think we should be seeing at least part of the animal in the foreground. A floodlight would distort the figure in some way, taller, shorter, longer, etc. Just seems like an odd picture for a few reasons.

Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Re: Photograph

Postby CanadysPeak on October 14th, 2015, 8:18 am 

It appears to be fake. Based on the brick size, the animal size is approximately life-sized. This implies a distant light source, thus one behind the camera. Yet, there is no shadow from the camera. Given the spot-like nature of the light, and the size of the shadow, I would suspect a light in front of the camera with a small silhouette in the front of the light.
CanadysPeak
Resident Expert

Postby Watson on October 14th, 2015, 1:49 pm 

I agree, and it is a little to perfectly framed. It just doesn't seem to be a candid wildlife picture, but the photographer won the award, first prize. What do we know.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/incoming ... /image.jpg

On the other hand, I once had a painting in a juryed art show and the judges comment was "It appears not to be an original work."
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on October 14th, 2015, 2:22 pm 

If it's not a faux fox, I would think a young one running past a motorcycle headlight.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Dave_Oblad on October 14th, 2015, 5:43 pm 

Hi all,

I would give about 90% probability it is a composite image. Many likely errors in it.

Strong observations:
1) The light source is not diffused or faceted or the shadows would be more blurry.
2) The light source is about 12-16 inches above ground, the camera is about 4 feet above ground.
3) The radial dispersion of the light indicates it is rather close to the wall so the Fox should appear bigger.
4) The shadows of his back feet are inconsistent. Ie: back two legs show a strong shadow and weak shadow.
5) The front feet also inconsistent in the ambient light of the white mortar.

Weak observations:
6) The bushes at the top of the wall must be sitting directly on top of the wall, based on their shadow band.
7) The walls front and bush front must only be about 1 inch apart, based on the shadow bands.
8) The shadow band under bushes not very consistent with radial light dispersion at that low angle light.
9) The shadows on right side of right Brick column are weird or the wall has holes.

Note: 3.. A light inside a cone might produce such a sharp radial falloff from a greater distance but would act like a less pointed source light and likely produce more diffused shadows.

Note: 6.. Some bush hanging over wall directly above Foxes tail, top of wall.
Note: 7.. Just weird as to why the bushes are sitting directly on top of a brick wall.. where are the roots?
Note: 8.. I would expect a bit more curve in the shadow band thickness.. but hard to tell here because of all the angles the bush branches are running.

Another bit of interest is the photo had a significant exposure time judging by the streaking stars but non-blurry background details. Was the Fox posing or moving during this exposure time?

So at least, the shadow does seem faked.

Regards,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Dave_Oblad on October 14th, 2015, 11:57 pm 

Hi Watson,

A few minutes later this image got caught on Camera.. the elusive Road-Runner.. WOW!

RoadRunner.jpg

Best wishes,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)
BioWizardWatsonBraininvat liked this post

Postby Watson on October 15th, 2015, 8:04 pm 

Now that should get the award. Mee-peep...

Should have an anvil, with a tail sticking out from under.
Watson
Resident Member

Return to Art