Art and Metaphysics

All things related to Art! Poetry, painting, literature, visual, theater, movies, tv, music, media, culture, etc. Share your creativity or others', reviews, aesthetic theories, etc.

Art and Metaphysics

Postby GaryCGibson on October 10th, 2016, 4:54 pm 

There are numerous fiction works derived from Buddhism. I don't believe anyone noticed the mystery of chess however, as it regards the Sage of the Sayas. Maybe this excerpt from a short story I wrote recently can serve as an opening move...

In the 5th century before Christ the sage of the Sakya tribe was part of a losing war of attrition prosecuted by invading tribes of the high country named Aryas. Sakyamuni contemplated long and hard about the metaphysical aspects of life and of the problem of evil and suffering. The issues were rather forced upon him because of the number of casualties from the front brought back to mingle with the copious pathetic creatures inhabiting his father's kingdom.
Sakyamuni the young prince also known as Siddhartha discovered an ancient manuscript describing a noble eightfold path. He gave a superficial account of that eightfold path after contemplating for weeks under a tree the abstract problem of translating such complex symbolic ideas into the language of his day in such a way that even the illiterate hearing the message might understand.
What resulted at the sermon at Benares was the famous Noble eightfold Path of right speech, right thought, right actions, etc.
What was left out was the eight dimension hypercube described in the text he found. Even so Siddartha, commonly called Buddha or the Enlightened One, left a rough abstract reduced version of eight rows and eight columns drawn on a tablet-stone that when found by the invading Aryas overrunning his father's kingdom was exfiltrated to the kingdom of Aryans and used as a trophy game board modeling war later called chess. The eight dimensional hypercube reflected in another four dimensional Universe was the first bridge to nowhere- Nirvana, negating temporal suffering.”
“It allowed eternal life then?”
“No, not at all Charlene. The chess wasn't a model for eternity. It was a model for a shortcut through spacetime dimensional embeddedness. Not a reliever of the problems of sin and failure to be sinless for which the sole remedy is the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ, the Buddha's game was a way to vanish before invading hordes cut one to ribbons with scimitars, sabers and whatever.”
“Was the noble eightfold path every used on old Y'Earth John?”
“Not in the way it was intended Char. It was instead discovered through reverse deictic engineering after the first unraveling of time dimensions of physicists. Chess gaming by supercomputers found that some of the chess configurations led to membrane algebras for Hilbert space with abstract metaphorical coordinate analysis.”
'Oh. Did that help you win many games?”
“No.”
GaryCGibson
Forum Neophyte

Re: Art and Metaphysics

Postby BadgerJelly on October 10th, 2016, 10:49 pm 

What do you want to talk about?
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby Daviddd on November 13th, 2016, 3:34 am 

Art..rather like Ggod..deconstruction useful , necessary I think..even to a most narrow interpretation of what It is. Art very susceptible to dogma almost as much as religion. I have one gripe re art, that is, that I am of the opinion that there is no such thing as abstract art...
Daviddd
Forum Neophyte

Postby Daviddd on November 13th, 2016, 3:41 am 

Sorry, by 'No such thing as abstract art' I mean that the terminology is incorrect..
Daviddd
Forum Neophyte

Postby dandelion on November 13th, 2016, 5:27 am 

As in the terminology is tautological, and descriptions like non-figurative or an extent of these, are better?
dandelion

Postby Daviddd on November 13th, 2016, 6:28 am 

Dandelion - oddly enough the term -non figurative- would apply as all art, in my opinion is figurative, just the extent is varied.
Daviddd
Forum Neophyte

Postby dandelion on November 13th, 2016, 6:33 am 

Thanks, Davidd, I didn't write my post well, and agree about extent.
dandelion

Daviddd liked this post

Postby Mjr Houlihan on January 15th, 2017, 3:49 am 

I am a hole in a flute that the Christ's breath
moves through – listen to this music.

Gabriel's Oboe (from The Mission)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL7CDcVQjbM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBLbH6vRwk8

A song's wink aligned me with joy. And a
tune paradise hums I came to know.

Hafiz the poet by Daniel Ladinsky
http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201701 ... ocid=fbcul

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Ladinsky
Mjr Houlihan

Postby Jauthor on April 27th, 2017, 3:39 pm 

What is art?
Can we successfully deduct from a standpoint of science and Aesthetics what art is and how it reacts with our brains?
We know that art, in music and more physical forms can mould who are as people, but can non-physical things be considered as art?
Jauthor
Forum Neophyte

Postby Daviddd on April 28th, 2017, 4:49 am 

Before an act of painting be the internal construction , art does have a context it dosent just exist like for example, a stone..
Daviddd
Forum Neophyte

Postby vivian maxine on April 28th, 2017, 8:04 am 

Daviddd » April 28th, 2017, 3:49 am wrote:Before an act of painting be the internal construction , art does have a context it dosent just exist like for example, a stone..

Are you sure, Daviddd? Look at the natural world around you and tell me you don't see art in nature. Even stones and, yes, some (accidental?) stone arrangements. Please.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Return to Art