drawing- natural talent or practiced talent

All things related to Art! Poetry, painting, literature, visual, theater, movies, tv, music, media, culture, etc. Share your creativity or others', reviews, aesthetic theories, etc.

drawing- natural talent or practiced talent

Postby zetreque on January 22nd, 2017, 2:00 pm 

This might sound like a silly question but I'm curious about different possible responses.

Is being able to draw well a natural talent that one is born with, acquires early in life, something that is gained from practice, or all of the above?

It seems to me that most skills and talents come from practice, and sometimes many years of dedicated practice but I wonder about drawing. I remember children I went to school with at a very young age being amazing at drawing.

Is there a natural talent some people are born with and then with some practice they can become very good?
If so, what is some speculation about what causes that talent?
Does anyone know of people who are famous for their talent of drawing and the history of if they were good at it from the beginning?
neuro would probably have an interesting answer to this question.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: drawing- natural talent or practiced talent

Postby BadgerJelly on July 3rd, 2018, 11:00 am 

Damn! This is an old thread.

Anyway, I wa talking about this with someone on another thread involving ideas of equality and how meritocracies function. Let us take that up in ethics if you wish to explore that one though.

Obviously some people are born geniuses. Mozart and Picasso had immense raw talent. That said I think the biggest common factor in success in any field is passion and hard work. I was watching a youtube vid recently talking about this (stumbling across it looking for art tutorials) and some people dislike being called “naturally talented” now because others take this to mean they haven’t worked hard to get where they’ve got and they were “lucky.” It is fairly easy to see how people could attack someone for being “talented” ... looks like I’ve dipped into ethics here anyway.

Anyway, passion is important. Some have abilities her or there others in other places. Untapped talent is a sorry thing to behold. I do often wonder how accomplished I could’ve been in many different areas give the right kind of directing, but I’m not dead yet so happy to explore what I can do to nurture my abilities.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on July 3rd, 2018, 11:22 am 

My wife and I have both been involved in music - she as a professional concert musician, choral director, and teacher (private lessons). Music seems to depend on some degree of innate ability with rhythm and pitch and mental math (you really gotta be able to count), but 95% of a pro is the capacity to enjoy hard work and obsessively going over and over a difficult passage. That one personality trait of "I HAVE to get this right and I won't quit until I do," is the big one. I suspect this applies to other arts, too.

Art = OCD.

(if it's any good)
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

BadgerJelly liked this post

Postby Serpent on July 3rd, 2018, 4:27 pm 

In the arts - as probably in everything else that requires mastery of a specific skill-set - there is talent, and then there is theory, understanding, mechanics, craft, skill, practice and more and practice and finally, excellence. Talent is a predilection or facility for some aspect of the accomplishment.

Anyone with average eyesight and fine-muscle control can learn to draw accurately. If they take time to learn and practice learn the techniques, they draw very well. People with above-average muscle control and keen eye for detail can become very successful illustrators or forgers. Their work may become admirable, but never inspired or extraordinary.

Someone with innate talent for any of the skills required will learn the craft faster and find it easier to put all the different elements of blocking, shape and form, proportion, perspective, placement, balance, density, shading, texture, etc together appropriately for the kind of drawing they want to create. They draw beyond accuracy - add another dimension, so that the work seems to have its own life.

With raw talent, you can see the originality and maybe the facility, quite early in a child's experiments in drawing, but they still benefit from instruction in the use of tools and surfaces, as well as art theory. But, while a completely untutored amateur may produce arresting art, the work of an untalented draughtsman will never rise above 'nice picture'.
Serpent
Resident Member

Return to Art