Must See Movies - Philosophy Favorites - List yours!

All things related to Art! Poetry, painting, literature, visual, theater, movies, tv, music, media, culture, etc. Share your creativity or others', reviews, aesthetic theories, etc.

Must See Movies - Philosophy Favorites - List yours!

Postby NofearOfUnknown on December 24th, 2007, 3:56 pm 

My top 4 Favorite Philosophy movies for the moment...
A waking life
I heart huckabees
The man from earth

Post yours!
NofearOfUnknown
Forum Neophyte

Postby xcthulhu on December 25th, 2007, 1:24 am 

The Matrix (Epistemology, Metaphysics, Ontology - I mean, I've had philosophy professors reference the movie when talking about Brain in a Vat problems)
Total Recall (compare with Robert Nozick's Experience machines)
The Prestige (some problems for personal identity)
Crash (Moral Luck)
Zardoz (proof that there is no God for if there was a God, then He would not have allowed such a terrible movie to be made)
xcthulhu
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (3)

Come see my movie-film

Postby madman K. on December 27th, 2007, 11:41 am 

I like "miller's crossing", its sort of about ethics and humanity, also its quite confusing with fast-moving dialogue so you need to be smart, like all philosophers in particular me are/is/am, to understand it.

I also like "princess mononoke" which has a environmental message in addition to a giant pig monster.

"About Schmidt" has some philosophical themes...if you figure out what they are please tell me, Jack Nicholson is very funny as well.

"Being John Malkovich" is vaguely philosophical and is worth seeing just to see Cameron Diaz who is almost unrecognizable as a frizzy haired housewife.
madman K.
Forum Neophyte

Postby Forest_Dump on December 27th, 2007, 12:03 pm 

Well, I can pose a trivia question. In the movie (actually a good one) "Antonia's Line" there is a town philosopher known as "Crooked Finger". Can anyone guess who he is based on?
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Postby Seyfried on December 27th, 2007, 12:05 pm 

New here, but just some movie recommendations:

Mulholland Drive -- ontology, REM sleep, post-modernism (re: Club Silencio), etc, etc......
Miami Vice -- flux, hyperrealism, formalism, teleology....
Days of Heaven/ The New World -- Heidegger, Hume...

Just for a start. [/b]
Seyfried
Forum Neophyte

Postby epidemia on December 27th, 2007, 5:14 pm 

The Life of David Gale
epidemia
Forum Neophyte

Postby Chaniir on December 28th, 2007, 4:20 pm 

I kinda like the "philosophy" in "American Beauty" about "beauty is all around" and so on the underlying messages I see in it -_-
But I don't think it's that much of a "philosophy film" though.....

We should have a discussion on Mulholland Drive... I had nightmares both about the freaky old couple as well as what the meaning of the whole thing could be...
Chaniir

Postby _Saladin_ on December 28th, 2007, 5:19 pm 

xcthulhu wrote:Zardoz (proof that there is no God for if there was a God, then He would not have allowed such a terrible movie to be made)

Hehehe...

I like uhhh...Zeitgeist :)
_Saladin_

Postby Montethrower on March 31st, 2008, 10:10 am 

A Clockwork Orange

The Godfather I & II

The Departed

Secondhand Lions

Horton Hears a Who (If you haven't seen it, PLEASE go)

Best,

Monte
Montethrower

Postby Ceadem on April 21st, 2008, 5:05 pm 

The Fountain: Stuff about Reincarnation, The Mayans, The Tree of Life visually fantastic, the director of Pi & Requiem for a dream... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0414993/

Mindgame: Stunning animation erm the title is pretty accurate or maybe head f**k http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0452039/

Solaris: the original! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069293/
Ceadem
Forum Neophyte

Postby MSM on April 21st, 2008, 5:21 pm 

Waking Life - Existentialism (this movie is all dialog)
the Darjeeling Limited - Serendipity
Magnolia - coincidence?
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Existentialism
MSM

Postby LouSalome on June 13th, 2008, 4:04 pm 

The Seventh Seal

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

LouSalome
Forum Neophyte

Postby erythrophyte on June 13th, 2008, 5:44 pm 

LouSalome wrote:Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Seconded!

As for the Huckabees movie. I had high hopes for it, but after watching it, I found it bland. Although philosophic themes were present, the execution was poor. The music, by Jon Brion, was better than the film. I mostly watched it to see Lily Tomlin and Dustin Hoffman.

The Matrix? That wasn't philosophy, that was another excuse for cool fight scenes and skin-tight leather costumes.

I didn't think Minority Report was philosophic for one reason and one reason only: Tom Cruise.
erythrophyte

Postby LouSalome on June 13th, 2008, 6:21 pm 

The Matrix is sort of a revamp of Cartesian questioning, therefore philosophical.

I'm not that big a fan of the plotline, though.
LouSalome
Forum Neophyte

Postby Deftil on June 13th, 2008, 11:31 pm 

LouSalome wrote:The Matrix is sort of a revamp of Cartesian questioning, therefore philosophical.

Very philosophical. And I personally love the plotline.
Deftil

Postby LouSalome on June 14th, 2008, 6:12 pm 

Deftil wrote:
LouSalome wrote:The Matrix is sort of a revamp of Cartesian questioning, therefore philosophical.

Very philosophical. And I personally love the plotline.

I used to be more fond of it, but I'm less ultra-modern now than I was when the trilogy came out initially.
LouSalome
Forum Neophyte

Postby ..:nugget:.. on June 15th, 2008, 3:26 am 

Donnie Darko!
..:nugget:..
Forum Neophyte

Postby LouSalome on June 16th, 2008, 6:10 pm 

I'm mildly obsessed with The Cure, and I love Joy Division, but I refuse to watch Donnie Darko on the principle that too many people have recommended it to me, and the premise doesn't sound too appealing.

I just watched The Bucket List and thought it was rather philosophical. They actually argued over teleology.
LouSalome
Forum Neophyte

Postby mtbturtle on June 16th, 2008, 6:30 pm 

LouSalome wrote:I'm mildly obsessed with The Cure, and I love Joy Division, but I refuse to watch Donnie Darko on the principle that too many people have recommended it to me, and the premise doesn't sound too appealing.

I just watched The Bucket List and thought it was rather philosophical. They actually argued over teleology.

I finally broke down and watched Donnie Darko. I didn't find it all that philosophical or "deep".

People kept telling me how funny and what insightful social commentary Idiocracy was but it didn't live up to the hype.
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby Sparky on June 16th, 2008, 7:48 pm 

I don't think anyone has mentioned Fight Club. It's one of my favs and has a fairly prominent philosophical subtext.
Sparky

Postby LUIX on June 21st, 2008, 3:27 pm 

Sparky wrote:I don't think anyone has mentioned Fight Club. It's one of my favs and has a fairly prominent philosophical subtext.

Man! sparky I read through almost every post but I kinda skipped yours and I was about to start a 'why hasn't anyone said fight club yet' post but you had just done the exact same thing...
I love that movie. The soundtrack is also amazing.
LUIX

Postby Deftil on June 22nd, 2008, 3:24 pm 

..:nugget:.. wrote:Donnie Darko!

Yes! I love Donnie Darko!

Solomon wrote:The soundtrak to Donnie Darko is great: Joy Division, Echo and the Bunnymen, The Cure, The Cure, good stuff...

Indeed. I love the soundtrack to it.

I refuse to watch Donnie Darko on the principle that too many people have recommended it to me, and the premise doesn't sound too appealing.

mtbturtle wrote:I finally broke down and watched Donnie Darko. I didn't find it all that philosophical or "deep".

It doesn't seem uncommon for people to see it after it's been strongly recommended to them and feel it was a let down. Also, it's not really unusual for me not to want to see a movie if it's been too heavily recommneded to me. Not sure I can really explain why though!

mtbturtle wrote:People kept telling me how funny and what insightful social commentary Idiocracy was but it didn't live up to the hype.

Idiocracy cracked me the hell up! Of course I have the sense of humor of a drunk 13 year old boy but.......
I also just ended up seeing it out of the blue without having even heard of it before so I had no expectations of it, which always helps imo. and the thing about having the sense of humor or a drunken teen too.
Deftil

Postby Restless on July 12th, 2008, 3:44 pm 

My Dinner With Andre
The Matrix
Blade Runner
2001 A Space Odyssey
Dr. Strangelove
A Boy and His Dog
Restless
Forum Neophyte

Postby Sisyphus on July 12th, 2008, 11:37 pm 

mtbturtle wrote:I finally broke down and watched Donnie Darko. I didn't find it all that philosophical or "deep".

People kept telling me how funny and what insightful social commentary Idiocracy was but it didn't live up to the hype.

What...? Who told you that? I wouldn't have called it "deep". It was just one of those weird twist-ending movies. I liked it, though. That rabbit suit was cool. I was a film major once (briefly). Maybe I can help you pick out a movie you'd like. Do you like stuff that's "deep"? That's a tough one. I'll have to think about that for a while. I wouldn't even call real-life "deep". Maybe something by Stanley Kubrick, I guess. Not that last movie he did before he died, though. Actually, I think that might be why he died. Heh... Seen anything by David Cronenberg before? I remember when I first rented Naked Lunch. So deep you'll need a flashlight, cause you won't know what the hell you're looking at. Dead Ringers (also by him) was interesting. I saw it one night at the university I was going to. I'm not sure if it can be considered "deep", but it made me blackout and piss my pants. Or maybe I had a seizure. I'm not really sure because there are other times when I think I've had a seizure too. That was the only time one made me piss myself, though. I didn't think it was that bad of a movie really.
Sisyphus
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (60)

Postby Usyless on July 13th, 2008, 2:01 am 

I used to help run a philosophy film series at my university - there really aren't many good movies whose subject matter is philosophy in any really direct way, but there are some that might inspire philosophical thoughts or discussion. Some have been mentioned, like the obvious Matrix, 2001: ASO, the Seventh Seal, and so on. One might get a good talk of ethics out of something like Crimes and Misdemeanors or Kurosawa's High and Low. Various Tarkovsky movies might be good. Memento. In the end, I'd recommend just looking for good movies rather than philosophical ones.

Oh, and Donnie Darko is a terrible film.
Usyless

Postby Spiral on July 21st, 2008, 2:07 pm 

I like Movies that make me question reality. Possibly my hate for metaphysics is like the hate of a person to a beautiful girl whom he cherishes, but who gives not a dime to his thoughts.

Mulholland Drive. I hate it. I love it. Every logician, scientist, mathematician and engineer should see this! ;)
Fight Club. Hits hard. Pretty hard.
Animatrix I place this anime compilation above matrix. You can go to http://www.intothematrix.com/ and find out, for free. The same philosophies minus the poker-face of that boring guy called Keanu Reeves.
The Life of David Gale - a must for lawyers :D
The Door in the Floor

And many more. Isn't every movie a philosophy unto itself? Good or bad, that's another thing...
Spiral

Postby mirela on September 2nd, 2008, 7:17 pm 

fear and loathing in las vegas
must be somehow philosophical
mirela
Forum Neophyte

!!!ALRIGHT!!!

Postby DlsMatrix on November 1st, 2008, 8:58 pm 

It's The Matrix Trilogy movies cuz there's so much philosophy inside them that none of any movies and movies sets combine and it's a verey GUTSY trilogy from the verey begging to its ending and it plays fair from the whole trilogy.It's in own class and it's a must have for any philosopher and for any person who is interested in philosophy!

!!!PLEASE get The Ultimate Matrix Collection: Limited Edition: Case Set again PLEASE!!!
Cuz you will never regret I'll promise that!
DlsMatrix

Postby Col.Bauer on November 9th, 2008, 4:42 pm 

Ya, I just watched the Matrix again finally a while ago....and I liked it more than before. I think peoples obsession with the dull sort of action movies sort of killed it for me for a while....

"""I also like "princess mononoke" which has a environmental message in addition to a giant pig monster.""
I saw a bit of princess mononoke on TV. (when I saw the giant pig monster I knew I would want the movie someday...)

"""Miami Vice -- flux, hyperrealism, formalism, teleology.... """
I've been told that Miami Vice develops its plot and characters almost as poorly than Vertical Limit and Backdraft... so I am unsure I can believe you here...

Anyways, here's one that I like:
EXistenZ
Col.Bauer

Postby Sarge_Maximus2 on November 9th, 2008, 7:25 pm 

I'm Not There and Notes on a Scandal My two top picks.
Sarge_Maximus2

Next

Return to Art