I think I might know what the immortal soul is.

General philosophy discussions. If you are not sure where to place your thread, please post it here. Share favorite quotes, discuss philosophers, and other topics.

I think I might know what the immortal soul is.

Postby Event Horizon on April 22nd, 2018, 3:08 pm 

The universe was around 14 billion years old the last I knew. And until 1969 when I was born I did not exist. I was kinda dead. Yet here I am.

For me to be able to exist, the conditions for my existence must also exist.

The thing is, my potential to exist has lasted for billions of years aparrently unmolested.

If the universe is going to expand infinitely your chance to exist will recur indefinately.
So perhaps your immortal potential to exist and mine could be considered to be our immortal soul. No religious mumbo-jumbo required!
Event Horizon

Re: I think I might know what the immortal soul is.

Postby Serpent on April 22nd, 2018, 3:33 pm 

Event Horizon » April 22nd, 2018, 2:08 pm wrote:And until 1969 when I was born I did not exist. I was dead.

You can't be dead until after you have existed: were conceived, born, lived and died. Even then, you do not cease to exist: for decades or centuries - many centuries, if the body was buried in the right conditions - you may be a decomposing corpse, skeleton or mummy. In a less substantial kind of existence, your name and memory continue: depending on whether you preform acts of unusual significance to the human race, you may persist as a work of art, a historical figure, an iconic personifications of good or evil.

The colony on Titan isn't dead, but doesn't exist: it won't be established until 2311.
You can't tell whether God is dead or alive until you open his box, but Santa Claus certainly isn't dead, though neither exists.

For me to be able to exist, the conditions for my existence must also exist.

Indeed, the conditions must be present before you can be even a potential.

The thing is, my potential to exist has lasted for billions of years unmolested.

Nobody's been able to figure out how to molest a potential. They have to wait till it grows into at least a supposition, before they can even tweak it.
Besides, your specific potential to exist didn't last all that time; it only started when your parents met.

If the universe is going to expand infinitely your chance to exist will recur indefinately.

My chance to exist has already been fulfilled; thus, no longer exists. The size of the universe has no particular bearing on it, since I take up less than a cubic meter of it.

So perhaps your immortal potential to exist and mine could be considered to be our immortal soul.

You'll have a hard time haunting anyone with that.
Potential for any discreet object does not exist. It can't be separate from all the potential for everything that could possibly exist at some time in the future. Such general potential in the universe is not "yours" or "mine" - it's all the rocks and mag-lev trains and locusts, mixed in with explosions and weeping and snowfall. Potential isn't any thing, and can't be identified with any body.

Saying that universal potential is souls is very much like saying the universe is God.
That sounds like mumbo-jumbo to me.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby Event Horizon on April 22nd, 2018, 3:56 pm 

No. Most people think it makes a lot of sense.

If I am not alive then I am Dead. It is your default state when not alive, don't be ridiculous.

Infinitely expanding universe means infinite time. Given just 1 chance to exist in infinity, that chance has to occur. Its a mathematical truth.

Your potential to exist no way stops because you exist now. It validates your potential. It is proof.

If you're gonna write flippant or sarky comments at least think about them first please.
Event Horizon

Postby Braininvat on April 22nd, 2018, 4:39 pm 

Even the brilliant mathematician and physicist Max Tegmark has allowed the possibility of eternal recurrence (first posited by Nietzsche iirc). It is widely accepted as a ramification of multiverse theories. We had a thread 3-4 years ago on the closely related concept "quantum immortality."
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Event Horizon on April 22nd, 2018, 5:29 pm 

Really? Wow! I just came to it myself. I need to read Nietzsche sometime. When I proffer my thoughts they're naturally arrived at. When I see there are supporting hypothesis by eminent people it's quite exciting.

Quantum immortality. I might search for that thread in case it relates to mine. Thanks.

It's really fairly simple and to me it seems logical. Even I can do the math, so it can't be that hard! What i dont know is if our existence manifests itself only as we are now, or other forms where the conditions for existence are different from here.
Once something has the potential to exist, that potential is eternal if the universe is eternal.
Event Horizon

Return to Anything Philosophy