Origins of Pessimism

General philosophy discussions. If you are not sure where to place your thread, please post it here. Share favorite quotes, discuss philosophers, and other topics.

Origins of Pessimism

Postby Inrealtime87 on August 10th, 2018, 9:02 am 

Where does the origin of pessimism lie, with Socrates or somewhere else?
Inrealtime87

Re: Origins of Pessimism

Postby Reg_Prescott on August 10th, 2018, 9:30 am 

Hahaha!!!

I can only assume pessimism goes back a bit. You guys know Henri the existentialist cat?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M7ibPk37_U

Henri part II is funnier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q34z5dCmC4M
Reg_Prescott

Postby Braininvat on August 10th, 2018, 9:42 am 

Big fan. I hope (in spite of everything) that the OP will use modern internet search engines and research this topic a bit. There's SEP, Wikipedia, IEP, and various other sources.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Inrealtime87 on August 10th, 2018, 5:55 pm 

I guess this post might seem unfounded, but the outcome of Socrates' engagements in a few of Plato's books is very pessimistic. In Thaetetus knowledge is unattainable, in Meno virtue is unattainable (accept when gifted by the Gods, as it cannot be taught and it is not innate), in The Republic justice is only when everyone does their job, in Parmenides the ending line is that if one is not then nothing is, although it is not Socrates speaking the idea that nothing is seems a necessary conclusion in a world without knowledge and it is similar to Socrates saying "all that I know is that I know nothing." Socrates' last words can also have a pessimistic meaning of life as a disease cured by death.

I guess this may seem like a question that should be googled but why would pessimism have begun with Schopenhauer, or Leibniz and Voltaire (they come up when googling the first pessimists or the origins of pessimism), when Christianity which borrows heavily from Socrates had such an influence on them? Why wouldn't you look to Socrates as one of the first pessimist when so much of what he says can be taken that way? So can the origin of pessimism be found in the findings of Socrates or further back? Or, if you don't see Socrates as a pessimist why not?
Inrealtime87

Postby Katrin on August 11th, 2018, 12:37 am 

the origins of pessimism is the bible.
The bible conveys fear, competition, oppression, injustice, abuse, cruelty,...
Katrin
Forum Neophyte

Return to Anything Philosophy