Favorite Quotes - Add yours!

General philosophy discussions. If you are not sure where to place your thread, please post it here. Share favorite quotes, discuss philosophers, and other topics.

Favorite Quotes - Add yours!

Postby Kagome_Di on March 14th, 2006, 4:50 pm 

Revenge can take away the pain, but the less you feel, the less you are.
Kagome_Di
Forum Neophyte

Postby BeastSoulEyes on March 27th, 2006, 4:37 am 

Heresy come from Inaction.
BeastSoulEyes
Forum Neophyte

Postby IknowNotPerez on April 2nd, 2006, 11:42 am 

The ability to focus attention on important things is a defining characteristic of intelligence.
Robert J. Shiller

When we talk about understanding, surely it takes place only when the mind listens completely - the mind being your heart, your nerves, your ears- when you give your whole attention to it.
Jiddu Krishnamurti
IknowNotPerez
Forum Neophyte

Bako liked this post

Postby LemmingLad on May 8th, 2006, 7:54 pm 

"In this world there is not fair... but merely righteous."

P.S. for those of you who don't know... I am Darwinlemmings in disguise...
LemmingLad
Forum Neophyte

Postby Silkworm on July 13th, 2006, 7:49 am 

“If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.” Dr. Carl Sagan
Silkworm

Postby LemmingLad on July 26th, 2006, 10:03 am 

Oh yeah, and that quote is anonymous.
LemmingLad
Forum Neophyte

FORWARD!!!!!

Postby alida on August 26th, 2006, 12:38 pm 

If you keep looking over your shoulder you can't see where you're going.......... :wink:
alida
Forum Neophyte

WHAT IS A MAN?

Postby alida on August 26th, 2006, 1:47 pm 

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in times of comfort and convenience, but where he stands in times of challenge and controversy.
Last edited by alida on August 30th, 2006, 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
alida
Forum Neophyte

Postby Ilis on August 29th, 2006, 6:50 pm 

“Man can will nothing unless he has first understood that he must count on no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth.”
-Jean-paul Sartre

"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” -Albert Camus

“You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Where am I? Who am I? How did I come to be here? What is this thing called the world? How did I come into the world? Why was I not consulted? And If I am compelled to take part in it, Where is the director? I want to see him.” - Soren Kierkegaard
Ilis
Forum Neophyte

Foucault Quote

Postby NEMO on September 4th, 2006, 2:25 pm 

"I dream of the intellectual destroyer of evidence and universality, the one who, in the inertias and constraints of the present locates and marks the weak points, the openings, the lines of force, who incessantly displaces himself, doesn't know exactly where he is heading nor what he'll think tomorrow because he is too attentive to the present..." - Foucault
NEMO
Forum Neophyte

Postby Prach on September 4th, 2006, 5:20 pm 

"The best government is the government that governs the least."

Thomas Jefferson
Prach
Forum Neophyte

PerfectZero liked this post

PeSla - who said this please?

Postby Den on December 7th, 2006, 1:35 am 

PeSla - interesting -

The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

But . . . for something to be pitiless must it not be conscious? So it kind of seems like a contradiction in terms - although I'm sure there's a better way to phrase it philosphically . . .
Den

Postby Bulzeeb on December 16th, 2006, 12:56 am 

I would say this is my favorite quote of all.

"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." ~Andre Gide

Indeed, doubt those who find it. Doubt those who have postulated truth.
Bulzeeb

Postby Den on December 16th, 2006, 2:06 am 

Absolutely! This gels with another one I was just about to post:

"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity"

It's so true! Doubters are the best (and safest!) kind of people to have around - save me from certainty and fanaticism.

(from The Second Coming by William Butler Yeats - reprinted below.)

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
Den

Postby Chaniir on December 16th, 2006, 9:41 am 

"There was never a genius without a teacher of madness"
- don't know who said it, I actually heard it from one of my philosophers in a PC game called "Master of Olympus" :D

"The one who does not remember history is bound to live through it again"
- George Santayana
Chaniir

Postby Den on December 18th, 2006, 3:16 am 

Oh yeah - another one I just remembered and like a lot:

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"

John Lennon.

:)

I love this 'cos it's so true. Here we are planning the next meet with a friend; the next holiday; whatever - and every second - every day - life carries on happening to us.

Or maybe we happen to life?
Den

Postby Marshall on February 4th, 2007, 12:21 pm 

imaplanck. wrote:Michael Faraday in reply to the (then) prime minister: "Well sir, theres a good chance that one day you will be able to tax it".

I really like this quote.

I am trying to imagine the context. Wasn't Faraday self-educated and worked as lab assistant for some big-shot? It may have been a case where the techie working in the lab makes the most essential discoveries.

I think the UK of that time was very class conscious, so in a way it is even surprising that a working-class person like Faraday would ever be conversing with the Prime Minister. But on top of that, there is even a kind of witty implied put-down! At least that's how it sounds.

"Mr. Faraday pray tell, what possible earthly use is there to this electricity stuff? It's just a toy to play with in the laboratory, isn't it?"

"Well, sir, some day you'll be putting a tax on it. That's a practical enough use from your standpoint."

I'm just paraphrasing. Would like to get more detail and context on this
Marshall
Honored Member

Postby tess on February 4th, 2007, 9:33 pm 

Sorry ;-)

Code: Select all
``When Gladstone was British Prime Minister he visited Michael Faraday's laboratory and asked if some esoteric substance called `Electricity' would ever have practical significance.

"One day, sir, you will tax it."
was the answer.''

(Quoted in Science, 1994). As Michael Saunders points out, this can not be correct because Faraday died in 1867 and Gladstone became PM in 1868. A more plausible PM would be Peel as electricity was discovered in 1831. Equally well it may be an `urbane legend'.
tess

Postby Marshall on February 5th, 2007, 1:48 am 

tess wrote:Sorry ;-)

Code: Select all
``When Gladstone was British Prime Minister he visited Michael Faraday's laboratory and asked if some esoteric substance called `Electricity' would ever have practical significance.

"One day, sir, you will tax it."
was the answer.''

(Quoted in Science, 1994). As Michael Saunders points out, this can not be correct because Faraday died in 1867 and Gladstone became PM in 1868. A more plausible PM would be Peel as electricity was discovered in 1831. Equally well it may be an `urbane legend'.

sure sounds like an urban legend doesn't it :-) urbane too.

se non e vero, almeno e ben trovato
Marshall
Honored Member

Postby Draginvry on September 5th, 2007, 5:29 am 

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.
- Albert Einstein

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
- John Maynard Keynes

Your theory is crazy, but it's not crazy enough to be true.
- Niels Bohr
Draginvry
Forum Neophyte

Postby SmallMind on September 5th, 2007, 7:23 am 

From all philosophers, in one language or another: 'What's for lunch?'
SmallMind

PerfectZero liked this post

Postby zzz on January 2nd, 2008, 5:59 am 

'Written poetry is worth reading once, and then should be destroyed. Let the dead poets make way for others. Then we might even come to see that it is our veneration for what has already been created, however beautiful and valid it may be, that petrifies us.'
- Antonin Artaud

'So they go on in strange paradox, decided only to be undecided, resolved to be irresolute, adamant for drift, solid for fluidity, all-powerful to be impotent.'
- Winston Churchill
zzz
Forum Neophyte

Postby erythrophyte on March 30th, 2008, 1:52 am 

I have this aphorism by Nietzsche photocopied and attached to my bulletin board:

Work and boredom.- Looking for work in order to be paid: in civilized countries today almost all men are at one in doing that. For all of them work is a means and not an end in itself. Hence they are not very refined in their choice of work, if only it pays well. But there are, if only rarely, men who would rather perish than work without any pleasure in their work. They are choosy, hard to satisfy, and do not care for ample rewards, if the work itself is not the reward of rewards. Artists and contemplative men of all kinds belong to this rare breed, but so do even those men of leisure who spend their lives hunting, traveling, or in love affairs and adventures. All of these desire work and misery if only it is associated with pleasure, and the hardest, most difficult work if necessary. Otherwise, their idleness is resolute, even if it spells impoverishment, dishonor, and danger to life and limb. They do not fear boredom as much as work without pleasure: they actually require a lot of boredom if their work is to succeed. For thinkers and all sensitive spirits, boredom is that disagreeable "windless calm" of the soul that precedes a happy voyage and cheerful winds. They have to bear it and must wait for its effect on them. Precisely this is what lesser natures cannot achieve by any means. To ward off boredom at any cost is vulgar, no less than work without pleasure. Perhaps Asians are distinguished above Europeans by a capacity for longer, deeper calm; even their opiates have a slow effect and require patience, as opposed to the disgusting suddenness of the European poison, alcohol. - The Gay Science (tr. W. Kaufmann) - Book I, 42
erythrophyte

Postby carbon on March 30th, 2008, 4:33 am 

The tragedy with this world is that fools are so sure of themselves whereas the wise so full of doubt.
-Bertrand Russel
carbon
Forum Neophyte

Postby Montethrower on April 1st, 2008, 9:52 am 

"Someday you're born, and that was a good day. Someday you'll die, and that is a shame. But somewhere in the between is a life of which we all lead. And nothing and no one can ever take that away."

----Streetlight Manifesto------

From their album

somwhere in the between
Montethrower

Postby Montethrower on May 2nd, 2008, 2:23 pm 

"He who repents is doubly wretched."

Spinoza
Montethrower

Postby MattK on July 9th, 2008, 11:11 am 

Some of my favorite quotes :)

"Nature to be commanded must be obeyed." - Francis Bacon

"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how." - Friedrich Nietzsche

"A leash is only a rope with a noose at both ends." - Ayn Rand

"Plato is dear to me, but dearer still is truth." - Aristotle

"Contradictions do not exist. Whenever you think you are facing a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong." - Ayn Rand

"Most people would die sooner than think — in fact they do so" - Bertrand Russell

"A gun is not an argument." - Ayn Rand

"One unerring mark of the love of truth is not entertaining any proposition with greater assurance than the proofs it is built upon will warrant." - John Locke

"To deal with men by force is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion." - Ayn Rand

"A man is none the less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years." - Lysander Spooner
MattK
Forum Neophyte

Postby Deftil on July 13th, 2008, 8:39 am 

"By scepticism we arrive first at suspension of judgement, and second at freedom from disturbance." - Sextus Empiricus

"I am called a dog because I fawn on those who give me anything, I yelp at those who refuse, and I sink my teeth into rascals." - Diogenes

MattK wrote:"To deal with men by force is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion." - Ayn Rand

I quite like that one.
Deftil

Postby MattK on July 15th, 2008, 6:33 pm 

"If you won’t buy my invisible iPods, then get off the goddamn fence about god."
MattK
Forum Neophyte

Postby erythrophyte on July 23rd, 2008, 11:07 pm 

"There is nobody from whom I want beauty as much as from you who are powerful: let your kindness be your final self-conquest. Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws." - Friedrich Nietzsche ("On Those Who Are Sublime" - Thus Spoke Zarathrustra)
erythrophyte

Next

Return to Anything Philosophy