Is our uniqueness strictly physical/nurturing?

General philosophy discussions. If you are not sure where to place your thread, please post it here. Share favorite quotes, discuss philosophers, and other topics.

Is our uniqueness strictly physical/nurturing?

Postby scottchat on November 29th, 2015, 2:05 pm 

If life consists of things we can bring into a lab, does that mean that our uniqueness is strictly physical? We have to allow for the effect of nurturing; but what about karma or the soul or some spiritual component? I suppose a strong faith can have an effect but would that not fall under nurturing?
scottchat

Re: Is our uniqueness strictly physical/nurturing?

Postby Serpent on November 29th, 2015, 3:04 pm 

What uniqueness? Of terrestrial life? Of each individual living entity? Of humans as distinct from other species? Or as individual humans?
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby scottchat on November 29th, 2015, 3:15 pm 

I was thinking as individual humans.
scottchat

Postby Serpent on November 29th, 2015, 4:56 pm 

If we assume that each human is truly unique (and I'm fairly comfortable assuming that), we must also assume that each chimpanzee and dolphin is also unique. Whales, wolves, howler monkeys, crows, raccoons, goats? Very likely. Squirrels, Guinea fowl, elk? Probably.... sharks? snakes? slugs? wasps?

As you go down the scale of intelligence and complexity, you tend to see more likeness and less difference between individuals. So you can see what evolutionary characteristics and environmental conditions and life experiences factor into the making of an individual. Go back to plankton and note the layers of complexity as they accumulate up the scale to the marvellous, inimitable !*H*U*M*A*N*!.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby wolfhnd on November 29th, 2015, 5:11 pm 

The English language can be difficult. Spiritual can have a variety of meanings associated with or approximately associated with ideas related to the supernatural. I haven't ruled out the possibility that individuality isn't suppressed to some degree by phenomenon associate with a pan-psychic reality. That however would have no supernatural explanation. The answer to almost every question is we don't know. Some people are more uncomfortable with uncertainty than others and tend to lean toward supernatural explanations.
wolfhnd

Postby scottchat on November 29th, 2015, 7:02 pm 

The few responses above seem to generally support the answer "yes" to the question in the title. If that's true then there is nothing after life for us individuals since our physical/nurturing existence dies. No part of us continues forward: soul, karma, consciousness. Except maybe our progeny which after all are the recipients of our physical/nurturing existence.
scottchat

Postby wolfhnd on November 29th, 2015, 7:11 pm 

scottchat » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:02 pm wrote:The few responses above seem to generally support the answer "yes" to the question in the title. If that's true then there is nothing after life for us individuals since our physical/nurturing existence dies. No part of us continues forward: soul, karma, consciousness. Except maybe our progeny which after all are the recipients of our physical/nurturing existence.

I don't know but it doesn't bother me much.
wolfhnd

Postby Serpent on November 29th, 2015, 9:59 pm 

scottchat » November 29th, 2015, 6:02 pm wrote:The few responses above seem to generally support the answer "yes" to the question in the title. If that's true then there is nothing after life for us individuals since our physical/nurturing existence dies. No part of us continues forward: soul, karma, consciousness. Except maybe our progeny which after all are the recipients of our physical/nurturing existence.

That sounds about right.
I find none of the afterlife stories particularly convincing.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby Mitford on November 30th, 2015, 6:29 am 

If life consists of things we can bring into a lab, does that mean that our uniqueness is strictly physical?

Does life consist of things we can bring into a lab? Are there things that you can't bring into a lab? What kind of things?
Mitford

Postby scottchat on November 30th, 2015, 2:18 pm 

I'd like to think there is something for us individually after death, some part of us that goes on. But I think the answer to the above title is probably yes. Still I think that there is more to life than just the physical/nurturing but I doubt that something is individualistic. The old cliche "you only go around once" may be true.
scottchat

Postby Serpent on November 30th, 2015, 3:13 pm 

scottchat » November 30th, 2015, 1:18 pm wrote:I'd like to think there is something for us individually after death, some part of us that goes on. But I think the answer to the above title is probably yes. Still I think that there is more to life than just the physical/nurturing but I doubt that something is individualistic. The old cliche "you only go around once" may be true.

What's unique is the specific combination of genetic material, environment, influences, learning/experience and the timing of each factor. Yes, I think once around is fair: then it's someone else's turn.
Don't hug the avatar!
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby scottchat on November 30th, 2015, 4:01 pm 

When you say someone else's turn it sounds like something or someone "individualistic;" and entity waiting for its turn. Do you think the avatar is our body and if so who do you think is doing the hugging?
scottchat

Postby Serpent on November 30th, 2015, 4:39 pm 

That was a typing error - I meant hog. But it's funnier this way, which is all I intended.
No, I don't believe there is a queue of unconceived baby souls awaiting a body. (Though that notion opens a vista of potential fiction plots.)
However, there is a reproductive drive in high-maintenance mammals, and finite habitable planet surface.
Serpent
Resident Member

Return to Anything Philosophy