Aristotle Question

General philosophy discussions. If you are not sure where to place your thread, please post it here. Share favorite quotes, discuss philosophers, and other topics.

Aristotle Question

Postby Ariday19 on December 15th, 2015, 12:01 am 

Need help with something

Aristotle asserts that we can be both angry and fearful of someone at the same time. TRUE OR FALSE
Ariday19

Re: Aristotle Question

Postby ontological_realist on December 28th, 2015, 6:54 pm 

I not know. What do you think?
ontological_realist
Forum Neophyte

Postby doogles on December 28th, 2015, 7:47 pm 

Ariday19 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:01 am wrote:Need help with something

Aristotle asserts that we can be both angry and fearful of someone at the same time. TRUE OR FALSE

It would be nice to see a citation as to whether Aristotle actually said this or not.

Nevertheless I agree strongly with the statement as is.

Anger is a reaction to real or perceived threats to our physical bodies or self-images. It manifests in each of us as a desire to inflict punishment of some kind on the offending animal or person or even an object. (Who among us hasn't kicked or punched an object after accidently hitting our own fingers with a hammer?).

But after 80+ years of observation of people, I believe that there is a real PECKING ORDER in the manifestation of this anger. We do not manifest it to people we perceive to be higher in the pecking order of authority than ourselves without risk of dire consequences.

Examples include our parents, teachers and police when we are young, and our bosses or other VIPs when we are older. Nobody reacts angrily to the Queen of England.

Perhaps a generalisation throughout our lives is that in any one-on-one encounter, we never manifest an angry response to anyone who may be physically superior to us.

If you think widely enough, you will realise that there are times when we feel quite angry with others but we just have to suck it up and wear it because we fear the consequences.

Thus I believe it is not only possible to feel angry and fearful of someone at the same time, but that it is a daily commonplace fact of life.
doogles

Postby Eclogite on December 28th, 2015, 8:15 pm 

I think the OP is looking for the answer to a homework question, without actually bothering to read any Aristotle. Fortunately, doogles, you've just provided him/her with some personal philosophy and no answer to the question.

Ariday, I hope you understand why we discourage answering homework questions. When you find the answer let us know what you decided on. If he made no clear declaration and you are expected to interpret his remarks, I am sure several members would be happy to help you with that interpretation.
Eclogite
Forum Moderator

Postby doogles on December 29th, 2015, 6:14 pm 

My bad Eclogite!

Apropos of my post, please note how humbly I'm accepting the minor reprimand from someone with more authority than me on this forum - lol

After a suitable pause I may re-post it as a personal theory, although anybody with a set of eyes will commonly see people 'keeping their mouths shut' or 'backing down' or 'biting their tongue or their lip'.
doogles

Postby Eclogite on December 29th, 2015, 6:54 pm 

I thought your post was interesting and certainly more welcome than someone apparently looking for a way to cheat on their homework.

I did find one point of disagreement with you. In the matter of suppressing ones anger in relation to someone higher than you in the pecking order, it is not something I have tended to do. It is probably related, in a causative way, to the fact that I've generally stayed quite low in the pecking order.
Eclogite
Forum Moderator

Postby vivian maxine on December 30th, 2015, 8:06 am 

Doogles, no one feels anger toward the dear Queen - true. She has been known to feel much anger toward us lowly minions, though. Did Aristotle get it backward? ?
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby doogles on December 31st, 2015, 2:19 am 

Eclogite and vivian maxine, thank you for the comments.

Since I last posted I have found references to what Aristotle actually said about anger. Obviously I can't give the citation yet - maybe in a week or two.

I will just quote part of a sentence in which Aristotle appears to agree with me that there is a pecking order involved in our expressions of anger (Aristotle would not have heard of the term 'pecking order' of course).

With regard to the first condition, Aristotle argues that we are most likely to become angry at inferiors … “[/b].

I can't say anything more at this stage about the OP question - that can wait.

Re your question [b]vivian maxine
, I'd say that the Queen could safely express her annoyance/anger at anyone within her range of contacts within the Commonwealth of Nations without fear of reprisals. In this respect I believe that Aristotle got it 'correct', rather than 'backwards'.

Yet I imagine that the heads of any non-Commonwealth States (equals in the pecking order) could express annoyance/anger with the Queen of England for any reason (within the limits of the diplomatic status between the nations at any given time). But she seems such a likeable person that it's hard to imagine anyone becoming cross with her. She's everyone's 'kindly mother' figure.
doogles

Postby vivian maxine on December 31st, 2015, 7:39 am 

You are right, doogles. I should not have been trying to think yesterday at all. Too much going on here as I'm sure you know if you watch the news. Not affecting me personally other than being sure my friends are bedded down if they can't get home. The Queen is one of my favorite persons. :-)
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Watson on December 31st, 2015, 12:27 pm 

As the two feelings can exist within oneself, independently, it is also true that they can exist in oneself, both at the same time. In fact, the person stirring anger within someone, may also be creating fear, with the same action. So I say it is TRUE. Any arguments about suppressing one or other feelings is just confusing the issue ask in the OP.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby TheVat on December 31st, 2015, 12:45 pm 

You are all scaring me, you bastards!
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Mjr Houlihandoogles liked this post

Postby doogles on December 31st, 2015, 7:38 pm 

That's a brilliant and succinct example Braininvat.

Watson, your statement - "As the two feelings can exist within oneself, independently, it is also true that they can exist in oneself, both at the same time", may hold for anger and fear, but not as a generalisation for all emotions.

For example grief and happiness can exist within oneself, independently, but I can't imagine a grief-stricken person ever being joyously happy at the same time.
doogles

Postby Watson on December 31st, 2015, 10:39 pm 

Yes but the OP only asked about the two, not generally about other emotions.

Happy New Year!!
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Return to Anything Philosophy