Emotional decision the only decision

General philosophy discussions. If you are not sure where to place your thread, please post it here. Share favorite quotes, discuss philosophers, and other topics.

Emotional decision the only decision

Postby BadgerJelly on April 22nd, 2016, 4:21 am 

I can only make a decision that has emtional weight.

Everything that makes a choice does so on an emotional level directed towards some kind of future benefit (although the decision may be the wrong one to obtain the believed outcome).

My claim is that without any emotion there is no decision making process. A decision is made as a present casting of consciousness into future emotional content. Our drive is never towards a subjectively negative outcome for our emotional state. Even apathy lends itself to a muted form of emotional future.

To be as clear as possible. A rock would never be said to decide to roll down a hill. If some material form had the ability to move given certain prompts then it can be said to have emotion if, and only if, there is a system in place through which it could assess what prompted it to decide and consider an alternative reaction if the same kind of prompt was to happen again in the future.

The here being that a material body must consider what influences it and project itself into a future scenario in order to be emotionally led. The decision requires an emotional outcome not some apathetic state.

This, for me, is basically what free will means. It is emotional content. Emotion is to me in its beginnings the placement of future scenarios in present being.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Re: Emotional decision the only decision

Postby neuro on April 22nd, 2016, 12:56 pm 

You are right.

Motivational computation is performed in the mesencephalon based on emotional / gratificational evaluation of experience.

The resultant motivational drive must be sent in a consistent way to both the regions that evaluate emotions (meso-limbic neuronal pathway) and the regions that elaborate (motor as well as cognitive) behavioral strategies (what you call "decisions"). If the two projections are unbalanced, consciousness dissociation ensues (this is the functional defect in schizophrenia).
neuro
Forum Moderator

Natural ChemE liked this post

Postby Eclogite on April 23rd, 2016, 11:02 am 

BadgerJelly » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:21 am wrote:I can only make a decision that has emtional weight.
I was inclined to disagree with you, but after reviewing the many categories of decision I make I could find none that could not be said to contain an emotional aspect. So I decided to agree with you, since I enjoy being right.
Eclogite
Forum Moderator

BadgerJelly liked this post

Postby Natural ChemE on April 23rd, 2016, 12:22 pm 

neuro » April 22nd, 2016, 11:56 am wrote:Motivational computation is performed in the mesencephalon based on emotional / gratificational evaluation of experience.

The resultant motivational drive must be sent in a consistent way to both the regions that evaluate emotions (meso-limbic neuronal pathway) and the regions that elaborate (motor as well as cognitive) behavioral strategies (what you call "decisions"). If the two projections are unbalanced, consciousness dissociation ensues (this is the functional defect in schizophrenia).

This description of the functional defect from schizophrenia sounds really interesting, but I don't think I fully understood it.

Could you give a simple example? Such as, say a schizophrenic person wants to make money, then how might this functional defect take place? Like, how could the motivational drive to make money be unbalanced between emotional evaluation and behavioral strategies?
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Postby TheVat on April 23rd, 2016, 12:55 pm 

A schizophrenic might be afraid of entering a bank, due to how they evaluate the emotional weight of certain observations and beliefs derived therefrom. Perhaps the architecture of the bank reminds them of a medieval prison, or they believe people wearing ties are part of a global conspiracy (entirely possible, haven't ruled that out myself....) to harvest money from the poor. A normal person would be able to evaluate beliefs derived from such impressions and dismiss them or at least suppress their anxiety and recognize it as unfounded. You or I, in such a situation, might say to ourselves "This impression seems very unlikely, and it is very likely I need to go in there to get a loan so I can start my new business. So I can laugh off that twinge of paranoia." Normal people are not people who have no crazy thoughts, but rather people who can develop behavioral strategies based on their saner thoughts while ignoring the rest.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby BadgerJelly on April 24th, 2016, 1:14 am 

As mentioned before I have had a few "episodes".

What happens is you begin believe in what you perceive. When perception is "comprimised", in my case auditory, then belief shifts. I was hearing voices and I couls not stop them. I was convinced at one point someone had placed a speaker in my ear or that telepathy was a real thing. The voices were just like if someone was stood next to me talking but there was obviously no one there.

I did manage to reason this out and had a very interesting conversation with myself! :)

On the flip side of the general mental discomfort and fear this caused it was an extreemly insightful experience and one I hope to experience again.

I do beñieve that everyone has these experiences but only some recall them. I say this because I recalled previous episodes from years ago I had obviously blocked, I guess to keep myself from falling into somekind of mwntal oblivion. Idk!?!?

It is certainly great to actually speak to yourself about topic of interest. The main benefit being I didn't have to waste time explaining myself only spend time understanding what was being given to me. My questions were crystal clear to those "voices", no misinterpretation in that direction.

So that is what it is like to have reality shattered. It is certainly like dream states in that you are drawn so deeply intot he internal narrative that reason and rationality are often too plastic and willing to accept things you'd otherwise find strangely out of place and relation.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby Paul Anthony on April 24th, 2016, 5:43 pm 

Braininvat » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:55 am wrote:A schizophrenic might be afraid of entering a bank, due to how they evaluate the emotional weight of certain observations and beliefs derived therefrom. Perhaps the architecture of the bank reminds them of a medieval prison, or they believe people wearing ties are part of a global conspiracy (entirely possible, haven't ruled that out myself....) to harvest money from the poor. A normal person would be able to evaluate beliefs derived from such impressions and dismiss them or at least suppress their anxiety and recognize it as unfounded. You or I, in such a situation, might say to ourselves "This impression seems very unlikely, and it is very likely I need to go in there to get a loan so I can start my new business. So I can laugh off that twinge of paranoia." Normal people are not people who have no crazy thoughts, but rather people who can develop behavioral strategies based on their saner thoughts while ignoring the rest.

Yes, but it seems to me you are saying the schizophrenic makes ALL decisions emotionally while the (allegedly) sane person overcomes emotion and makes SOME decisions rationally. This would mean that not all decisions are based on emotion.
Paul Anthony
Resident Member

Return to Anything Philosophy