Naturalism in an evolution article

General philosophy discussions. If you are not sure where to place your thread, please post it here. Share favorite quotes, discuss philosophers, and other topics.

Naturalism in an evolution article

Postby hyksos on April 9th, 2017, 8:57 pm 

https://www.bigquestionsonline.com/2017/01/26/does-evolution-have-direction/

Wanted to share this long article about evolution and its "direction".

It mentions Metaphysical Naturalism and Methodological Naturalism.
Another way to solve the problem is by getting God back to work. Perhaps every now and then He gives the mutations a friendly shove in the right direction, and, lo and behold, here we are. This was the position of Darwin’s good friend, the American botanist Asa Gray, and today a version of this is endorsed by the theologian and scientist Robert John Russell. Most scientists, including believers, don’t much care for this idea. They may not all be metaphysical naturalists, denying God because nothing supernatural can exist, but they are methodological naturalists, keeping God out of science, no matter what they do on Sundays.
hyksos

Re: Naturalism in an evolution article

Postby Eclogite on April 11th, 2017, 2:51 am 

I am presently avoiding reading the article, in order to avoid "corruption" of my own, presently unformed suspicions concerning teleology. However, your post has prompted me to try to place these thoughts into some kind of structure, so thank you for that.

That said, I have long felt uncomfortable that the rejection of teleology is more often a consequence of following the herd than of careful consideration of the matter.
Eclogite
Forum Moderator

Return to Anything Philosophy