A Game like no other?

General philosophy discussions. If you are not sure where to place your thread, please post it here. Share favorite quotes, discuss philosophers, and other topics.

A Game like no other?

Postby BadgerJelly on July 15th, 2017, 2:35 am 

This is a really simple question for you.

Can you think of a competitive game where the aim is for all competitors to win?

I think this is easy if we assume the competitors are on the same team, but I am thinking of something a bit more isolated rather than purely cooperative.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Re: A Game like no other?

Postby SciameriKen on July 15th, 2017, 7:44 am 

Pandemic
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby SciameriKen on July 15th, 2017, 7:46 am 

Wait no - I am not understanding what you are asking for - a goal for all competitors is to win? Isn't that all non-co-op games? Monopoly?
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby edy420 on July 15th, 2017, 8:02 am 

Carnival games

Thumbless pea knuckle.. or is that a draw

War, if no one wins then technically they all win?

A race to the start line

An infinite game of tag

The floor is lava

Eating contest for the hungry homeless

Lol it's not an easy one to answer, I'm out of ideas
edy420

Postby BadgerJelly on July 15th, 2017, 8:30 am 

I guess it would be something like this. Never heard of that game before, looks interesting!

I am pretty sure what I am asking for is a contradiction. I guess I am looking for ideas for a "best bit". Something like Pandemic, but where there is a dual dynamic of both cooperation and competition.

edy -

Love the homeless idea! Guess that would work. This may just be closest to the mark because I very much doubt any of them would care about winning. That said, there would still be a "winner" they just wouldn't care in the slightest.

Maybe some weird combination of competition and cooperation where the winning scenario is completely hidden would kind of fit?

It was generally economics that got me thinking about all of this combined with the often perverse ideologies in some childrens board games such as "Monopoly" or "The Game of Life". I had flashes of "The Game of Life" TV ads and thought how disgusting there were in hindsight.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby Athena on July 15th, 2017, 9:43 am 

BadgerJelly » July 15th, 2017, 12:35 am wrote:This is a really simple question for you.

Can you think of a competitive game where the aim is for all competitors to win?

I think this is easy if we assume the competitors are on the same team, but I am thinking of something a bit more isolated rather than purely cooperative.

The old Nintendo game Genghis Khan was not purely cooperative because everyone could play against the computer and the invasion of Mongols, or everyone could play against each other and have little chance of stopping the Mongol invasion. I loved playing that game with friends. It teaches if you only focus on war and don't tend to the people's needs you loose, but also if you only tend to the people's need and don't prepare for war, you also loose, and cooperation works better than trying to take each other down.

Then there is the Ungame...

"The Ungame includes a game board, playing pieces, and two decks of cards containing questions- all the ingredients of a typical game. The trappings mask a series of exercises designed to improve inter-personal communication and to develop one's awareness of others as well as himself.....

NON THREATENING...NON COMPETITIVE
Athena
Banned User

Postby Athena on July 15th, 2017, 10:42 am 

SciameriKen » July 15th, 2017, 5:46 am wrote:Wait no - I am not understanding what you are asking for - a goal for all competitors is to win? Isn't that all non-co-op games? Monopoly?

You might appreciate the story of how Monopoly came to be...

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/business/behind-monopoly-an-inventor-who-didnt-pass-go.html
It turns out that Monopoly’s origins begin not with Darrow 80 years ago, but decades before with a bold, progressive woman named Elizabeth Magie, who until recently has largely been lost to history, and in some cases deliberately written out of it.

Magie lived a highly unusual life. Unlike most women of her era, she supported herself and didn’t marry until the advanced age of 44. In addition to working as a stenographer and a secretary, she wrote poetry and short stories and did comedic routines onstage. She also spent her leisure time creating a board game that was an expression of her strongly held political beliefs.

Continue reading the main story
Magie filed a legal claim for her Landlord’s Game in 1903, more than three decades before Parker Brothers began manufacturing Monopoly. She actually designed the game as a protest against the big monopolists of her time — people like Andrew Carnegie and John D. Rockefeller.

Photo

Elizabeth Magie Phillips, in a circa 1937 portrait. Credit The Strong in Rochester, New York
She created two sets of rules for her game: an anti-monopolist set in which all were rewarded when wealth was created, and a monopolist set in which the goal was to create monopolies and crush opponents. Her dualistic approach was a teaching tool meant to demonstrate that the first set of rules was morally superior.

And yet it was the monopolist version of the game that caught on, with Darrow claiming a version of it as his own and selling it to Parker Brothers. While Darrow made millions and struck an agreement that ensured he would receive royalties, Magie’s income for her creation was reported to be a mere $500.

The Ungame was also created by a woman.
Athena
Banned User

Postby Watson on July 15th, 2017, 1:19 pm 

Golf comes to mind, although some say it is not a game. It can be mutually encouraging with "Nice shot." or "The sand has an unobstructed swing area." And it is cooperative, "While you're looking, I'll get us a sandwich?"
You can play with others and still play against your own scoring goals to improve. Personally, I golf once a year, and stop trying to get the hole in one after the beverage cart comes by.
And every body wins? This isn't what you were talking about though is it?
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Return to Anything Philosophy