An example of amoral Gods

General philosophy discussions. If you are not sure where to place your thread, please post it here. Share favorite quotes, discuss philosophers, and other topics.

An example of amoral Gods

Postby edy420 on October 9th, 2017, 4:35 am 

Meet Pikawho,
A creature from the universe of No Mans Sky.
His Gods have destroyed him.

No Mans Sky, is a universe on Playstation 4.
It contains over 18 Quintilian planets and has its own periodic table.
Each planet has its own ecosystem, weather conditions and various life forms like Pikawho.

The creators of No Mans Sky released a patch that rewrote all the planets and wild life, meaning, our friend here no longer exists.

His Gods have destroyed him.
They destroyed that planet hes standing on, all his friends and even that entire planet in the background.

And lets be honest, who cares?
Should Pikawho's Gods care?
Should we care?

I recently watched a lecture that mocked a God who would smash galaxies together and destroy all the creatures withen those galaxies.
He questioned such a Gods morality.

But if we were created, and we do have a creator, then they are not morally obliged to protect us, and Pikawho is living proof of that..
Or at least, he was..

There is no moral connection between Pikawhos suffering and his Gods.
They can give him an eternal life of happiness, or burn him alive, either way there is no moral implications.
Pikawho and his creators exist in two different realms, where one has control over the other.

My observation here is that smashing galaxies together is no big deal, for game developers/Gods.

edy420

Re: An example of amoral Gods

Postby Serpent on October 9th, 2017, 10:01 am 

But that would mean we don't have to worry about whatever rules a god may have decreed regarding our behaviour. And that means we can put any kind of figurines we want on a wedding cake, commit suicide if we're in too much pain, go shirtless on the street and use whichever bathroom we prefer.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on October 9th, 2017, 10:32 am 

Why should we presume that a God would be deliberately smashing galaxies together? Perhaps God just makes the big bang happen, sets the physical constants, and then lets whatever life emerges deal with its problems. It might be a moral God, but having a morality that is including something sort of like the Prime Directive (in the Star Trek universe), where it must not interfere. The galaxies could just be following physical laws, and God hopes that sentient beings in them will evolve and anticipate cosmic catastrophes before they succumb to them.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby edy420 on October 10th, 2017, 2:11 am 

Serpent,

If we do have a creator, what rules has he/she decreed?

I like to think the laws of physics are the only rules "decreed" by our creator, assuming we have one.
We can't break any of these rules, as hard as we try, implying the will of God is all powerful.

But when it comes to behavior, I don't see any rules that can't be bent or broken.
Which implies they are not rules given to us by an all powerful being.
Even a rule such as, don't do harm to others, is not universal.
In many warrior cultures, its the opposite.

Rules of religion, are simply rules made by a religious society, and are enforced by those members.
Much like any rules in any society.

When Pikawho disobeys the laws of physics in his universe, the creators assume his programming is bugged, and they fix it/rewrite his code.
If our creator thought that our coding were bugged, then would he/she not fix it?
Maybe our violent nature is amusing to a creator, and well mannered behavior is applauded..
edy420

Postby edy420 on October 10th, 2017, 2:20 am 

Brainvat,

That depends if our creator is all power\all knowing.
The creators of No Mans Sky have this omnipotent trait.
They can skip ahead in time, to any time and see what is going on in the universe.
When we finally develop A.I and implement that into games like No Mans Sky, then it will be much more interesting to see what happens when we skip through time lines.

Will the A.I attempt to break the rules we set?
Will it attempt to enter our universe?
If we could see a God and his realm, I'm sure we would attempt to..
A good reason to stay anonymous IMO.
edy420

Postby Serpent on October 10th, 2017, 10:04 am 

edy420 » October 10th, 2017, 1:11 am wrote:Serpent,

If we do have a creator, what rules has he/she decreed?

None, afaik. We don't have any creator, afaik.

However, when you use the word "gods", you refer to belief-systems and bodies of literature and coda of conduct to which human societies have subscribed for thousands of years and which are embedded in all cultures.
If those systems of thought are irrelevant to your current subject, then so are references to deity and morality.
Therefore i assumed it was intended as tongue-in-cheek.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby edy420 on October 10th, 2017, 12:16 pm 

Its not my intention to make this a religious thread, but I think Pikawho here, gives religious people a leg to stand on when they say they believe in a creator/God.

Pikawhos creators are his Gods.
They are omnipotent to him and his universe.
They are all powerful in Pikawhos universe, all knowing.
If Pikawho does not please his Gods, they will smite him.

At the time there was 12 people in the company Hello Games, that made the universe of No Mans Sky.
If 12 people can create an entire universe on a tiny CD with their primitive technology, then why can't a God/s create ours?
edy420

Postby Serpent on October 10th, 2017, 12:49 pm 

edy420 » October 10th, 2017, 11:16 am wrote:Pikawhos creators are his Gods.

Only if he has a belief-system that places those programmers at the center of his universe.
If he doesn't know about the programmers, his universe is only what he does know of it, and he has to make up his moral codes according to what he understands, not according to what we know.

At the time there was 12 people in the company Hello Games, that made the universe of No Mans Sky.
If 12 people can create an entire universe on a tiny CD with their primitive technology, then why can't a God/s create ours?

No reason - either to suppose that they did or that they didn't. How is it relevant?

Morality has meaning only to entities that have some transactional relationship to one another.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby mitchellmckain on October 11th, 2017, 3:13 am 

Is it fair to assume that Pikawho is unintelligent or anything like human beings? Are your assumptions about what should be God to Pikawho, really telling us about you yourself?

Seems to me what makes a thing/being "God" is the choice to worship. But then the reason/justification for that choice will point to an ultimate value. For example...

1. Worshiping something/someone because it is the most powerful/knowledgeable points to power/knowledge as the ultimate value.
2. Worshiping something because it is the creator of a thing points to that thing as the ultimate value. Perhaps it is only secondary to the creator himself, but the creator has after all by this action of creating it conferred value upon it by doing so.
a. Because it created you, means you are the ultimate value.
b. Because it created life, means life is the ultimate value.
c. etc....
3. Worshiping it because doing so gives you some advantage points to that advantage as the ultimate value.
4. Worshiping something/someone because it is the most good points to goodness as the ultimate value.

The danger with ultimate values is the implication that one will sacrifice everything else for the sake of that one thing.

Will you sacrifice your intellectual integrity for the favor of the one with all the power/knowledge?
Will you sacrifice your good conscience out of loyalty to the one who made you?
Will you sacrifice your friends to damnation for the advantages promised you by your religion?
Is their anything you would not be willing to sacrifice for the sake of what is right and good?
mitchellmckain

Postby edy420 on October 11th, 2017, 3:34 am 

mitchellmckain,

Im not so sure I agree with your definition of God.

Why does a god need to be worshiped?
If a god is no longer worshiped, does he stop being a god?

In my culture, Maori mythology, we have a god of all gods.
His name is Ao.
While he is worshiped he also has other traits.
I think its these traits that makes him a god.

All powerful.
All knowing.
Omnipotent.

Will you sacrifice your intellectual integrity for the favor of the one with all the power/knowledge?
Will you sacrifice your friends to damnation for the advantages promised you by your religion?
Is their anything you would not be willing to sacrifice for the sake of what is right and good?

Im not willing to sacrifice tomorrows lunch.
Last edited by edy420 on October 11th, 2017, 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
edy420

Postby edy420 on October 11th, 2017, 3:53 am 

Serpent,

Morality has meaning only to entities that have some transactional relationship to one another.

Can you elaborate on why there has to be some relationship?

I don't like referencing the Bible, but there are examples where God does have a relationship with some people.
Yet my argument is this analogy suggests the God in the Bible is still amoral, even when burning these people alive.

No Mans Sky developers may love their creations and build a relationship with Pikawho by creating an interactive avatar.
Even if they burn him alive, there's still no moral implications.

Only if he has a belief-system that places those programmers at the center of his universe.

We can use the analogy in reverse too.
Einstein developed a belief in a Pantheistic God, without going through religious channels.
He describes the laws of physics as being books, written in a foreign language.
He goes on to questioning if these books have an author.

This means that Pikawho could discover that he has a creator.
With an advanced A.I, Pikawho could discover his own laws of physics, and ask the same question we cant answer.
Why do the laws of physics work.
We have a good idea how they work and what effects they have, but we have no clue why they work.

Pikawho could discover he was created by God/s, through unanswered questions in science, similar to the way Einstein did.
No need for worship, a relationship, or sacrifice.
edy420

Postby Serpent on October 11th, 2017, 8:36 am 

edy420 » October 11th, 2017, 2:53 am wrote:[ Serpent -- Morality has meaning only to entities that have some transactional relationship to one another.]
Can you elaborate on why there has to be some relationship?

Because that's what morality means: a list of do's and dont's, with a corresponding list of penalties for non-compliance - a lamb for this, an ox for that, death by stoning for the other.
A covenant:
"Thou shalt worship the lord thy god with all thy might and all thy soul."
In return, I'll deliver you from evil, make you lie down in green pastures, lead you beside the still waters....
...slay your enemies and give you their lands and daughters.... If you pray for a son long enough, I may grant that wish, then ask for him back, and when you've psyched yourself up to slit his throat, I might say: Just kidding! Here, have a ram instead...

I don't like referencing the Bible, but there are examples where God does have a relationship with some people.

All gods have a relationship with their people. That's the point of gods.
They may reward your fidelity by giving you another man's wife, or by killing your children and covering you with sores... Just kidding! Here, have some new kids. Or save you from pursuit and feed you in the desert, even though you'd been stiff-necked and idolizing all over the place.
If you don't like referencing the bible, why use its language?
That language is appropriate to that context: you get smitten for loving and sinning.

Yet my argument is this analogy suggests the God in the Bible is still amoral, even when burning these people alive.

The god of the bible is a mean, spiteful, capricious, unreliable SOB. I wouldn't worship that one, or recommend him to anyone else. So?

No Mans Sky developers may love their creations and build a relationship with Pikawho by creating an interactive avatar.

Who is interacting with whom? Is the creation interacting with the god, or are two different gods playing with the creations as if they were chess pieces? An intelligent entity may feel possessive toward its creation, but what makes him a god is how the creation feel toward him.

Even if they burn him alive, there's still no moral implications.

Of course not. They can't burn him alive, unless he is alive, in the same way that the creator is alive: both entities have to live in the same realm in order for that sentence to mean anything.
Smiting is interactive.
Deletion is impersonal. Once you use the appropriate language, the obfuscation clears right up.

Pikawho could discover he was created by God/s, through unanswered questions in science, similar to the way Einstein did.

Has Pikawho done this? That is the crux of the matter.
No need for worship, a relationship, or sacrifice.

Then there is no god. It's just a universe.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby edy420 on October 11th, 2017, 12:52 pm 

At the moment Pikawho is just a script, he can only discover science if he's told to.
But with an advanced A.I he would most likely figure it out.

Being in the same universe makes no difference when it comes to morality.
A.I proves my point here too, because once A.I is advanced enough, we could make living droids.
Droids who think for themselves, and with pain receptors.
The only argument for this kind of droid not being our living equal, is saying they have no soul, but I doubt you'd make that argument.

Destroying a living droid is still just, as you put it, deletion.
edy420

Postby mitchellmckain on October 11th, 2017, 1:07 pm 

edy420 » October 11th, 2017, 2:34 am wrote:mitchellmckain,

Im not so sure I agree with your definition of God.

I don't think I have given one. I have simply claimed that your reason for calling something "God" points to what you value most.

edy420 » October 11th, 2017, 2:34 am wrote:Why does a god need to be worshiped?
If a god is no longer worshiped, does he stop being a god?

Nobody said anything about a god needing to be worshiped. That is your idea. The fact is that people do typically worship what they give the name of God -- and I have NEVER heard them claim that their God needed to be worshiped. Besides, I have not specified what "worship" consists of and it could be no more than calling the thing/being by the word "God."

edy420 » October 11th, 2017, 2:34 am wrote:In my culture, Maori mythology, we have a god of all gods.
His name is Ao.
While he is worshiped he also has other traits.
I think its these traits that makes him a god.

All powerful.
All knowing.
Omnipotent.

Cool! I know a tiny bit about the Maori from Alan Dean Foster's book and the film Whale Rider.

For me there is only one thing that can make me label a being by the word "God" and that is goodness. If there could ever be any righteous cause against a powerful being, I am likely to use a different word, like angel, demigod, spirit, alien, or demiurge. And to such a being I may offer friendship, respect, enmity or contempt depending on the cause against him, regardless of whatever knowledge/power he may have. I cannot sell out my integrity just because of fear.

If I have fear for the one I DO name God, it is only because I know that He is beyond any power of mine to control or manipulate. Some might just call that a high degree of respect, but I think this is not entirely honest because manipulation is too much a part of how human beings live with each other. I must admit, most of the religious I have seen do think they can control and manipulate their god in some way and that frankly make it look more like a tool they use for manipulating others.

edy420 » October 11th, 2017, 2:34 am wrote:
Is there anything you would not be willing to sacrifice for the sake of what is right and good?

Im not willing to sacrifice tomorrows lunch.

Are you sure about that?
You are not willing to sacrifice tomorrow's lunch for what is right and good?
I would give my life. The only hesitation would come from the need to be absolutely sure that I know what is right and that it is good. No small thing to be sure, but I can easily think of examples. To stop a maniac from shooting at people -- easy! To stop a sicko from abusing children -- nothing difficult about that!
mitchellmckain

Return to Anything Philosophy