A Rational Choice?

General philosophy discussions. If you are not sure where to place your thread, please post it here. Share favorite quotes, discuss philosophers, and other topics.

Re: A Rational Choice?

Postby BadgerJelly on October 22nd, 2017, 2:13 am 

Serpent -

I sincerely believe that our instincts and emotions are better at handling a no-win situation, or any kind of emergency, than our intellect, however well trained that might be.

Well I guess we strongly disagree here then :)

Although it is more likely we're both not quite on the same track (pun intended this time) although we're likely running parallel to each other.

I guess looking back over this part of our exchange I am not saying much more than having time to think is better than having no time to think most of the time. I most certainly believe that intellect can help shape our reactions to some degree.

I can put my hand in a fire without withdrawing it, yet if you were to place a flame under my hand without my knowledge I would withdraw it. I do not believe that I could train myself to never withdraw my hand from a fire in all circumstances though!
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on October 22nd, 2017, 8:35 am 

Only, you're talking about entirely different classes of situation.

Yes, you can become a fakir: train your mind to overcome at least some of the reflex actions of your body. Yes, you can learn and hone a prescribed set of skills to such a fine degree that you can fly a plane or throw a clay pot blind drunk; yes, you can drill responses to certain stimuli, so that you automatically head for the fire exit if you hear one kind of bell and the mess hall if you hear another kind of bell.

But the whole point of an emergency is its unexpectedness. Each real life situation is different from the last, and none are anything like what you contemplated and discussed. You don't get time to gather information or calculate odds in emergent crises.
You don't really expect ever to be at a railway switch, any more than I do. The station-master has this situation well in hand; we don't need to. What we will sometime need to do ... I have no way to guess or prepare for.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby BadgerJelly on October 22nd, 2017, 9:39 am 

Serpent -

We're talking past each other so I'll stop now.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on October 22nd, 2017, 11:18 am 

I concur.
Serpent
Resident Member

Previous

Return to Anything Philosophy