Everything theory a wrong idea ?

General philosophy discussions. If you are not sure where to place your thread, please post it here. Share favorite quotes, discuss philosophers, and other topics.

Everything theory a wrong idea ?

Postby drdali70 on November 7th, 2017, 12:40 am 

I can prove that we can get what is named the Grand Unified Theory (GUT)
Is a model in particle physics in which at high energy, the three gauge interactions of the Standard Model
which define the electromagnetic, weak, and strong interactions or forces, are merged into one single force
But
We never will get what is named the everything theory (TOE ) when must addition the gravity energy
It means we can't merge the gravity energy with (electromagnetic, weak, and strong )
My question is :
If you agree with about what i have said , please write why ? by using your philosopical skils or rather your philosophical knowledge
drdali70
Forum Neophyte

Re: Everything theory a wrong idea ?

Postby mitchellmckain on November 7th, 2017, 1:40 am 

The Standard Model is the result of successive unification of the electromagnetism, weak, and strong forces into a single unified theory, first by the electro-weak unification by Glashow, Salaam, and Weinberg, and then by the GUT theory of quarks by a similar means.

Ever since then, the holy grail of physics has been to find a unification of these three forces with gravity into a single theory. This is the promise of super-symmetric string theory also known as M-theory.

Even though this has confronted numerous difficulties, we have good reasons to believe that such a "theory of everything" TOE is possible because we already have a unification of gravity and electromagnetism by writing General Relativity in five dimensions (Kaluza Klein). It may be that super-symmetry is wrong and it may not even be possible to do this as a quantum field theory. Many scientists are looking for a non-perturbative unification such as we have the the wholly geometric theory of GR and Kaluza Klein. However, I suspect that wherever the breakthrough comes, it will very likely be possible to cast the theory into both geometric and field theory formulations. In some sense this is what string theory does already.

Is it possible that no such unification exists or can be found? Sure. But it is not in the nature of science to accept such a thing. Science will continue to look for an answer because that is what science does. Very rarely science does find that answers are impossible. But until then...
mitchellmckain

BioWizard liked this post

Postby drdali70 on November 7th, 2017, 11:14 am 

Thanks for your effort,
Even you didn't answer by philosophical method, you are just
Answer as mostly Physicists,
Thanks again
drdali70
Forum Neophyte

Postby mitchellmckain on November 7th, 2017, 12:30 pm 

It is a physics question not a philosophical one. As we learned from Aristotle's great blunder with regards to gravity, sound use of the philosophical method does not seek to answer questions on the basis of logic alone when an empirical methodology is logically called for.
mitchellmckain

Postby drdali70 on November 7th, 2017, 4:23 pm 

I am talking about Knowledge's edge of physics that exactely is the goal of philosophy
I think we are talking about everything, and everything is the essence of philosophy
There is no philosophy without studying everything
Everthing is the main goal of philosophy and history.

Should you know, what is the depth meaning of everything before talking about it.
drdali70
Forum Neophyte

Postby mitchellmckain on November 7th, 2017, 5:41 pm 

Ah! Then perhaps you meant to ask something more like the following...

SHOULD a physics theory encompassing all four forces properly be called a "theory of everything?" That is a good philosophical question! The truth is that I have seen other things treated like a theory of everything far more than they should be. The easiest example is evolution. It may be the one theoretical foundation of biology but it is often stretched to the breaking point in order to explain far more than it is intended to.

As for the meaning of "everything" that is hot topic in philosophy indeed! To be sure there is much disagreement on that question.
mitchellmckain

Postby drdali70 on November 8th, 2017, 7:05 pm 

I think you Studied Physics at University of Utah
You are didn't study philosophy

For that it would be hard to go on with you further

Also my mother language is Arabic , for that i can't take you more depth, and if if you want to be better should you listen to Philosophers and wise men more than talk
We don't care about the behavior of the thing, We only care about the essence of the thing
It means / we only care the stable part of knowledge and the repository part is your work..........
drdali70
Forum Neophyte

Postby mitchellmckain on November 8th, 2017, 9:10 pm 

drdali70 » November 8th, 2017, 6:05 pm wrote:I think you Studied Physics at University of Utah
You are didn't study philosophy

I have a BS and MS from UofU in Math and Physics but you would be wrong to say I didn't study philosophy. I not only took quite a few philosophy electives at UofU but I also have an MDiv from theological seminary. And that included studying quite a bit of philosophy also -- including writing a thesis on the metaphysical implications of modern physics.

drdali70 » November 8th, 2017, 6:05 pm wrote:For that it would be hard to go on with you further

Communication with anyone is always hard. There are always differences between people. You have to work at it and keep struggling to communicate.

drdali70 » November 8th, 2017, 6:05 pm wrote:Also my mother language is Arabic ,

Physics is also a language of sorts and both language barriers only give even more reason to think that the wording of your question probably needs more clarification and refinement.

drdali70 » November 8th, 2017, 6:05 pm wrote:for that i can't take you more depth, and if if you want to be better should you listen to Philosophers and wise men more than talk

Those who most often give advice like this are usually those who need to follow their own advice.
mitchellmckain

Postby drdali70 on November 8th, 2017, 10:41 pm 

Ok , thanks , I just consider myself as over as the philosopher must be ....

I appreciate your comments very much
drdali70
Forum Neophyte

Return to Anything Philosophy