Derrida and Nietzsche (parallels?)

General philosophy discussions. If you are not sure where to place your thread, please post it here. Share favorite quotes, discuss philosophers, and other topics.

Derrida and Nietzsche (parallels?)

Postby BadgerJelly on December 10th, 2017, 8:26 am 

I have been reading Birth of Tragedy and Writing and Difference.

What has struck me is the similarities between Birth of Tragedy and the opening pages of W&D first chapter "Force and Signification". Derrida jumps straight into the term "Criticism" which echoes the opening to BoT where Nietzsche has written "attempt at a self-criticism", which has particular weight if you reading through the first half dozen or so sections; because the running theme is about the distinction between aesthetics overcoming structure (framed in different ways.)

He forces us to focus on art as a performance and how the audience possess the "spirit of Dionysus" (my rough expression of his talk about the ideas he puts across regarding 'chorus', 'drama', 'poets', 'actor' and 'dithyramb').

Derrida also starts making comparisons between aesthetic thought and intellect regarding the critic and quotes Kant's "Critique of Judgement" a few times. He also comments of the "creative" side of structuralism that seems to parallel Nietzsche's comments about the Hellenism and Pessimism regarding the broader themes of 'chaos' and 'order'.

Am I seeing things that are not there because I happen to be reading them both at the same time? Obviously philosophical thoughts will collide because there are some every prominent themes that are turned over again and again from different angles. I just see it more here than elsewhere ... then again I see Nietzsche as being more and more significant the more I look. I would even accuse Husserl of the very same even though he apparently made claims to not hav egiven much concern toward Nietzsche's work (apparently?)
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Re: Derrida and Nietzsche (parallels?)

Postby Lomax on December 10th, 2017, 11:14 am 

Derrida lists Neitzsche as a rebellious influence so it's not implausible. When I saw the title of your thread my first thought was that they both thought the overthrow of God would mean the overthrow of something even more fundamental.
Lomax
Forum Administrator

dandelion liked this post

Return to Anything Philosophy