Facebook: Destroyer of worlds...

General philosophy discussions. If you are not sure where to place your thread, please post it here. Share favorite quotes, discuss philosophers, and other topics.

Facebook: Destroyer of worlds...

Postby SciameriKen on February 12th, 2018, 10:11 am 

If you have the time- this is a long but interesting article that raises serious issues about facebook.

http://splitsider.com/2018/02/how-faceb ... ng-comedy/

Full disclosure: I've been facebook free for about two weeks now - I thank Bio for the inspiration in making this happen!

Aside from killing comedy - the article raises important points about flattening worldviews with each member falling into their own bubbles.

In the last quarter of 2017, facebook had 2.2 billion active users - and well over 200 US account holders. Its reach and impact are almost completely up to them to decide. I do believe aside from profits that they want to make the world a better place - but is this happening? As a society should we continue to think of facebook as a company that can make its own decisions, or as something else with new rules of how to interact with that something else?
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Re: Facebook: Destroyer of worlds...

Postby Asparagus on February 12th, 2018, 11:39 am 

The dude in the article was lamenting the difficulties in using the internet as a way to profitably supply comedy content. I only came to facebook recently looking to understand how people use it for marketing. I lost interest in the question, but became fascinated by a couple of content suppliers: "my modern met" and "goodful." I only recently (accidently) ended up on the my modern met website and saw that they sell jewelry and stuff. Maybe the Funny or Die website should have sold t-shirts and stuffed toys like "Good Mythical Morning" used to do.

I think these days, even cable channels have a limited ability to gain a devoted audience. Like a lot of people, I paid for HBO only during the time Game of Thrones was on. Then I ditched it again. It's really easy to do that because HBO is selling its content through Amazon. So a lot of people are scrambling to find an audience who will pay for content. That sets the stage for facebook to become a sort of gatekeeper or broker (whether they actually want to be that or not.)
Asparagus

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Asparagus on February 12th, 2018, 11:39 am 

oops
Asparagus

Postby Braininvat on February 12th, 2018, 12:21 pm 

I loathe the mind-stunting shithole that is FB, for reasons described in the article. This was incisive....

Well, there are all these studies that Facebook is literally depressing. There was a study recently that if you just give your cat a bowl of food every day, they get fat and depressed, because they don’t use their hunting instincts. So now some pet owners hide food around their house, and their pets are happier because they’re doing something. It’s the same thing with content. It’s better for us to try and find it, and get it from different sources and enter different worlds — to go on the tiniest journey to find something instead of having the trough open up and have the feed come pouring down into your face.

Humans are meant to explore, to be challenged, to journey outside their comfort level. Not live in a soothing bubble that constantly conspires to tweak your endorphins and keep you in bliss interspersed with moments of artificial craving.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

zetreque liked this post

Postby Asparagus on February 12th, 2018, 12:27 pm 

Braininvat » February 12th, 2018, 12:21 pm wrote:I loathe the mind-stunting shithole that is FB,

I'm picturing BIV strapped to a chair like that guy in Clockwork Orange.. "No! Not Beethoven!"
Asparagus

Braininvat liked this post

Postby Braininvat on February 12th, 2018, 1:28 pm 

Ha! Now that the Year of the Rooster is drawing to a close in a few days, I have been wondering what my yearly avatar change should be. I was going to stick with the Asian calendar theme (a cute pooch for the year of the dog), but now you have me thinking about that Malcolm McDowell screenshot.

Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Asparagus liked this post

Postby zetreque on February 12th, 2018, 1:48 pm 

This thread triggered some memories for me.

I have loathed FB since it first came out in competition to myspace for the same reasons and more. Another similar thing that killed the internet is cellphone connectivity to it. They both create laziness and only recently in the past year IMO have cellphones almost actually gotten good enough to fake being as versatile as computers.

I remember back in the day when the internet suddenly gained an influx of people who thought myspace and or facebook was the internet. This trend seemed to last for several years. It bothered the hell out of me and for a time I refused to even talk to people online who had a FB account because they were so boring and limited.

Certain technologies and websites brought in a certain type of people to the internet. One of the last segments of the world to come online however are the poor and growing poor population that either can't afford it, or are happy living in a more reclusive space. I know several of these. These are the people I like to be around because they are busy doing things in life rather than being an audience member of it. Yes I am generalizing. I've been thinking a lot about how much the world has changed in the past 20 years.

I consider facebook good for nothing more than stalking or keeping in touch with people who refuse to use anything but FB. Just a couple days ago I was in a mood curious about all those that I grew up with. I went looking into all of the ~100 people I grew up with through grade school. To my amazement nearly every one of them is on there now with their full name and life. If they aren't on there, there are other people posting about them on there.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Asparagus on February 12th, 2018, 3:50 pm 

Braininvat » February 12th, 2018, 1:28 pm wrote:Ha! Now that the Year of the Rooster is drawing to a close in a few days, I have been wondering what my yearly avatar change should be. I was going to stick with the Asian calendar theme (a cute pooch for the year of the dog), but now you have me thinking about that Malcolm McDowell screenshot.

Dog soup is being served near the Olympic stadium. I probably didn't need to know that. I learned it from Facebook.

I used to know a guy who claimed that every time you learn something new, some other bit of knowledge becomes lost, as if there's a finite mental space, but I think the internet in general has allowed us to pack more mental activity into the available space.
Asparagus

Postby wolfhnd on February 12th, 2018, 5:59 pm 

I think back to when television was relatively new and people were saying it destroyed children's minds. I find it all a bit hyperbolic the way the latest problems are discussed and usually a bit egotistical the way the intellectual class discusses popular culture. It is somewhat like the moral panic surrounding "devil weed".

How is facebook any different than old men sitting around the barbershop all day talking nonsense. Of course Facebook is a waste of time but isn't that the point?

The other question is more important than the damage the medium inherently does. That is the question of free speech. The hate speech laws in Europe for example are quite concerning. The internet as a communication tool should be treated no differently than the telephone or the printing press.

The large tech companies should no more be able to control content than paper companies should be allowed to monopolize paper and only sell to newspapers they agree with.

In some ways all public spaces suffer from the tragedy of the commons. People tend to "trash out" public property. The answer is not to restrict access through the private property argument. While the infrastructure of the internet is privately owned the argument that it should be controlled is more analogous to water rights than private property. That leaves the question of profitability to be the most vexing. YouTube has been losing a billion dollars a year, if people want to keep the internet free they better find a way to pay for that freedom.
Last edited by wolfhnd on February 12th, 2018, 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wolfhnd
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on February 12th, 2018, 6:12 pm 

So then the problem is humanity, not the technology? :)
zetreque
Forum Moderator

wolfhnd liked this post

Postby zetreque on February 15th, 2018, 2:24 am 

I am very concerned that google is just as bad if not worse than facebook at spreading fake news and psuedofacts now.

When you search for things now you will often get at the top what appears to be an official definition or a webpage that has an official answer for what you are looking for. Followed by that is a list of questions related to what you looked up that have what appear to be official answers.

When I first started seeing this feature I was like "wow, this is amazing how far we have come" but it was short lived. As time passes I have noticed that what started out being more credible (at least wikipedia had a reference section) and official answers has slowly progressed first into showing answers but giving you the feeling that the page might not be that credible to now giving you very non-credible pages and answers.

I believe google is forming the same bubbles that facebook does. If you are looking into natural remedies for example, you get answers from websites that support your own biased while at the same time making the answers look credible and official. People then spread whatever they find credible or not until we just end up with the same mess we have on facebook. Which is a bunch of clueless people repeating each other without that much credibility behind what they say.

Not that the internet ever was not full of rubbish but my point is that the rubbish is now looking more official and there is more of it formatted in a way that reinforces bias or bubble worlds.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Return to Anything Philosophy