A dialogue attempt

General philosophy discussions. If you are not sure where to place your thread, please post it here. Share favorite quotes, discuss philosophers, and other topics.

A dialogue attempt

Postby Inrealtime87 on March 8th, 2018, 1:37 pm 

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with the reasoning or the everyday conversation I used in writing this? Also, Is this at all interesting as a topic of discussion for a dialogue?

It's a conversation between a man and a woman on the differences between people and what we call ordinary objects.

Man
Alright. What’s the difference between a person and another object? The difference between me and that pole? (He flings his arm in a pointing motion somewhere)

Woman
Besides the obvious difference in composition? A person’s ability as an actor, as a subject, as a doer, as consciousness, separates us from objects. That pole is only the receiver of an action. It, is bent, or struck, or broken, but it does not bend, strike and break.

Man
Eh, I think it does all of those things.

Woman
What?

Man
If you walk in the direction of that pole, what will happen?

Woman
You simply walk into the pole. I see where you’re going, and it is not correct to say the pole hits you.

Man
One, people do say that-

Woman
-I know people say it, that’s why I said it was incorrect.​

Man
And two, it certainly is correct. (The woman eyes him suspiciously.) Why, are you assuming the pole is stationary? That the object is not in motion?

Woman
It’s not

Man
Because you don’t see it move?

Woman
Because I don’t see it move.

Man
New example.

Woman
You can’t jump to some other analogy, if you’re wrong, just admit it.

Man
I’m not wrong.

Woman
I don’t know…

Man
Okay, a car tire falls on your head.

Woman
On my head? (Looks incredulously at him)

Man
Yes, it falls on your head. You have not seen the tire thrown, and you have not seen the tire dropped, it, the tire, has fallen. An object has acted on you.

Woman
Well you changed the example.

Man
So what? It still works doesn’t it? You said an object is only the receiver of an action, but now a tire has fallen on your head.

Woman
Alright, but you can’t say it wasn’t dropped, or thrown.

Man
And you can’t say it hasn’t fallen. Just like you can’t say the pole didn’t hit you. If you can’t say that objects can’t act, that clearly means they can. And if a pole can hit you, or act in any other way on you, once again, what is the difference between me and the pole? Or any other object?

Woman
You’re forgetting the difference I said was obvious. (She pinches the skin on her wrist and holds it up for him to see) The Body, and its composition.

Man
If the difference between me and you is our body composition, and the difference between you and the pole, or another object, is body composition, why am I not an object to you?

Woman
Because you’re a human being-

Man
-The question is not whether I am a human being, but whether I am an object. Whether all human beings are objects. Whether you’re an object. If the only difference between you and an object is body composition, what is the difference between me and an object, to you?

Woman
Well I remember mentioning consciousness too.

Man
Yeah you did. I remember.

Woman
So the difference between an object and human being is consciousness.

Man
What does consciousness allow you to do that makes you not an object?

Woman
I don’t know. Are there any objects you know of that are self-aware?

Man
People. What’s the difference between an object that knows it’s an object and another object? To you, there isn’t a difference. Both are able to act and be acted on.

Woman
Alright, what do you mean no difference? You just said one object knows it’s an object and the other doesn’t.

Man
Now, what’s the difference between an action done with knowledge, and an action without? Can you tell the difference?

Woman
You asking that question, was an action done with knowledge, say…the knowledge of speech.

Man
Fair enough. So the knowledge of speech allowed me to ask that question?

Woman
Yeah.

Man
And you know of my knowledge because…

Woman
Because you asked the question.

Man
Because you heard me ask the question.

Woman
Yeah.

Man
Now, what’s the difference between my knowledge and your knowledge? You see, you know what I’ve said, and I know what I’ve said, so what is the difference between what you know, and what I know?

Woman
You knew what you were going to say before you said it, I mean, before the physical act of speaking.

Man
So that means I know what I don’t say, out loud, that is?

Woman
Yes.

Man
But you don’t know what I don’t say out loud, so is what I don’t say out loud ever said?

Woman
Not to me, no.

Man
Well then can you say I’m saying anything, when I’m not saying it out loud?

Woman
No, I can’t.

Man
So if I’m not saying anything when I’m not saying it out loud, and I’m only saying something when it can be heard, you know what I know. You know this because you and I both know what I say out loud, and because I can only be said to know what is said out loud, since when I am not saying something out loud it is not said. So once again what is the difference between your knowledge and my knowledge? If you know everything that I know, how do you know that I know?

Woman
Shit. I don’t.

Man
Now can you definitively say that a non-human object has knowledge? If you cannot, we’re back to the question of what is the difference between an object and me?
Last edited by Inrealtime87 on March 8th, 2018, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inrealtime87

Re: A dialogue attempt

Postby Braininvat on March 8th, 2018, 1:42 pm 

A tip for posters:

Write a brief abstract of what your post/thread is going to be about, before the main text. This increases your chance of getting readers.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Re: A dialogue attempt

Postby Inrealtime87 on March 8th, 2018, 1:45 pm 

How long would you make an abstract?
Inrealtime87

Return to Anything Philosophy