We should openly talk about a class of strange phenomena

Not quite philosophy discussions, debates, various thought experiments and other topics of interest.

We should openly talk about a class of strange phenomena

Postby muema on March 28th, 2018, 3:17 am 

"The physical world mirrors or somehow targets content of my mind."

This might include for instance sound effects being synchronized with your thoughts or worries when you're listening to music, or scenes in movies / TV shows being somewhat synchronized with your thoughts or worries. It could also include other people verbalising or addressing your thoughts or worries unintentionally, in such a way that it seriously raises questions about the relation of mental and physical properties. Some people probably just accept that these phenomena exist, without really wondering about them. I think the reasons to deliberately not talk about these phenomena or this aspect of reality, on the other hand, are quite obvious: at least some people seem to assume that talking about these phenomena is in direct opposition to helping others psychologically. Last but not least from personal experience, I argue that this is not the case, and talking about these phenomena can actually be a 'shortcut' to mental health, and eventually to sociocultural improvements.

https://www.facebook.com/Peter-Pollock-354598678381184/
muema
Forum Neophyte

Re: We should openly talk about a class of strange phenomena

Postby BadgerJelly on March 28th, 2018, 4:03 am 

You mean rhetoric? Words effect people, and prose and poetry are perfect examples of speech having an emotional effect on people.

In horror movies every knows about the low frequency noise that causes "tension" (a feeling of being watched) in the audience - one theory is this is to do with the deep growl of predatory beasts from our early ancestry (or it could simply be a spandrel.)

You can be 100% sure politicians and advertisers are very much aware of these phenomena.

some quick questions:

a) How is this "philosophical"?

b) What are you actually saying/asking?

c) "The physical world mirrors or somehow targets content of my mind." - How is this any different from saying we have experiences and relate them to other experience (ie. we're creatures that exist in a world)?

d) In reference to (c), we are able to navigate through the world because we have habits of framing it that allow us to function and live our lives (as opposed to being "targets", which seems to me to be something akin to a hard determinist view, fatalism, or a grasp for some mystical meaning beyond direct comprehension)?
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on March 28th, 2018, 9:35 am 

The OP needs a bit more to relate it to the forum topic. Is there an allusion to Jungian synchronicity there? Hard to tell, without more concrete examples, but I am guessing this might fit in the behavioral science forum better than AP.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Serpent on March 28th, 2018, 2:44 pm 

muema » March 28th, 2018, 2:17 am wrote:"The physical world mirrors or somehow targets content of my mind."...

No: it's exactly the other way around. Whatever you are preoccupied about is what you notice. There may be a thousand different data or stimuli, object, events and references floating at you from the world, and you generally ignore 98% of them, while focusing on the 2% that is significant to your current state of mind.

Example: I have driven down a particular street in our nearest small city once or twice a week for the last 22 years. This Monday was the first time I noticed a building with the sign "Autism Behaviour Center" on it. I have no idea how long that sign has existed. I do know that this past weekend, we were reading a book called "The Spark" https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/book-review-the-spark-a-mothers-story-of-nurturing-genius-by-kristine-barnett/2013/05/17/e3763448-9ba4-11e2-9a79-eb5280c81c63_story.html?utm_term=.723dc1a0b74a about the remarkable development of a boy diagnosed with autism.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby Watson on March 28th, 2018, 4:44 pm 

Some call it awareness. As BJ mentioned, advertisers and politician try and build awareness of the product or candidate, and then have the awareness grow into some sort of acceptance.
Or, as happened to me, having our first, suddenly I was aware of how many other people had young kids. Nothing really change other than my awareness of young dads, like me.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby edy420 on August 3rd, 2018, 9:44 pm 

No one wants to be laughed at for any lucid mental observations of the physical realm.

I like to do the opposite, look at the world and find ways to visualise analogically.
Then use those analogies to help me understand what’s going on in the real world.
I use a lot of mental tricks to help me learn, mostly visualising, but I keep them to myself.
Whenever I share them, I get laughed at or looked at funny.

I imagine the OPs proposition of sharing an observation of the physical realm being manipulated by ones mind, would have the same effect socially.
They’d be laughed at.
edy420

Return to Odds & Ends