Nihilism's nihilism

General philosophy discussions. If you are not sure where to place your thread, please post it here. Share favorite quotes, discuss philosophers, and other topics.

Nihilism's nihilism

Postby Inrealtime87 on June 14th, 2018, 7:14 pm 

There are several claims to nihilism that I am aware of, those being moral nihilism, religious nihilism and life's nihilism. Perhaps I don't understand the positions, but I don't see how any of them are possible.

Moral nihilism, generally thought of as the absence of meaning to moral claims, claims of a right and wrong way to behave, or good and bad behavior. Claims to Moral nihilism ignore the meaning inherent in every action or perception, and the truth claims made on these perceptions. Saying "I see a yellow bird," relays a meaning of the perception, as well as memory and causality, but causality seems to be inherent in meaning because the meaning of something is an explanation for something, which is a general definition of cause. But to speak of a yellow bird, is to also make a truth claim, which I believe is also what we would call moral, moral being right and wrong. Whenever there is a perception there is the meaning that comes with it,(Is there an argument for perception without meaning? Imagining there could be perception without meaning , why would anyone's eyes move or follow an object?) this meaning would be what is true, and because it is true or a truth claim it would be moral. I am saying the interpretation of meaning into an action or perception is moral, because it is a truth claim, and all truth claims are moral, not only by definition, but by any religious or philosophical standards.

Moral nihilism is also claimed as a denial of rules stated in a particular religion, or all religions, which is to say the rules are false, but is a false judgement absent meaning? I would say no. What is the meaning of "all birds are actually cats?" Or, 1+1=1,000? Both of these have meaning, and are truth claims, so they must be moral.

There is also religious nihilism, Christianity and Buddhism, or any religion with a claim to some eternal state. They are called nihilistic for their desire of "nothing." "Nothing" being eternal life, eternal happiness, permanent quietude, no suffering. But to desire these things is to desire what is not known, or "nothing", and to desire "nothing", is just not to desire. I see this viewpoint as just pessimistic. Summarized as "I hate all of the temporal aspects of life, therefore I hate life, life also being temporal."

I also mentioned life's nihilism, that life is meaningless. However, I would copy the meaning Nietzsche assigns life, that of always becoming more. Seemingly superficial, but it is a pattern that all life follows. This is not just reproducing, if the meaning of life was procreation, why are there stds? Of course someone will say so diseases or viruses can procreate, but the reproduction angle misses competition and suffering. If the purpose of life is reproduction, as much life as possible, why is there conflict, or conflict over who gets to reproduce? Also survival misses the point of life as well, as a rock is much more capable of survival than a person.
Is nihilism possible? There could be some mistake I made (most likely case).
Inrealtime87

Re: Nihilism's nihilism

Postby Inrealtime87 on June 16th, 2018, 1:32 am 

I believe I need to speak more on morality being the making of truth claims.
The general definition of morality as right or wrong, good or bad behavior is itself a claim to truth. If there is a right way to behave, such behavior would be, in a sense, an answer. To what question? How to behave. And, how we behave is based on the meaning of our perceptions, meaning attained through past perceptions. The interpretation of meaning into our perceptipn is the answer to the question how to behave, so I call it moral. Is this a ridiculous position to hold? Although, I believe it does make wrong behavior impossible.
Inrealtime87

Re: Nihilism's nihilism

Postby -1- on October 24th, 2018, 5:21 pm 

Nihilism's nihilism. I like this proposal. If you multiply a number with zero, you get zero. (Applied nihilism.) If you multiply zero with zero? Annulling null? Doing away with nothing? Replacing nothing, with... nothing, or with something.

If you replace nothing with nothing, you haven't replaced it with anything different but with itself, which is not actually a replacement, although replacement has taken place.

If you want to do away with nihilism, and nihilism of nihilism aims to do exactly that, then you have to replace nothing with something else than nothing.

So the nihilism of nihilism is somethingism.

Therefore the mathematical model for nihilism that I used earlier, that is, multiplying by zero, is not a valid model for the nihilism of nihilism.

I like that.
-1-

Return to Anything Philosophy