Why Not Allow Abortion Three Days After Birth?

General philosophy discussions. If you are not sure where to place your thread, please post it here. Share favorite quotes, discuss philosophers, and other topics.

Re: Why Not Allow Abortion Three Days After Birth?

Postby TheVat on April 9th, 2019, 12:39 pm 

Hi, Badger. I agree that vigilance for possible bogeymen has value. I was just pointing out that the legal situation should not be misrepresented in its present form. The laws, both state and federal, against actual infanticide may account for the fact that no one has cited one actual example of a healthy full-term newborn being euthanized by a licensed physician. (what happens in black market clinics, or on kitchen tables, will of course remain obscure and unregulated) It's kind of weird that Serpent has to point this out a dozen times, to no apparent effect on his interlocutors.

But, for sure, there are grim Stalinist scenarios and other dark futures that are analogous to the exampled possible threat of AI, and which require constant public awareness and engagement. The real answer to the thread title may be simply: we must not allow it because of what it would do to US. This is similar to arguments against the death penalty that speak of the adverse psychological effects it has on executioners and appointed witnesses. Taking another life is harmful to the killer's soul and to the overall spiritual state of a society.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby Serpent on April 9th, 2019, 3:35 pm 

Question to which i do not expect an answer:
Does anyone here believe that men should draft all legislation relating to human reproduction?
Does anyone here think women should draft all such legislation?
Does anyone think all such legislation should be drafted a committee made up of equal numbers of each sex?

Note: I didn't ask who should/could vote on it; just who should write the words.

I've been having this increasingly uneasy feeling that some posters simply do not feel women can be trusted with the important task of gestation and birth. And that gives me a very queasy feeling about how this sentiment could mesh with all manner retrograde executive decisions and formal bills that have been enacted recently, as well as alarming rhetoric from several quarters.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby TheVat on April 10th, 2019, 10:22 am 

I've been having this increasingly uneasy feeling that some posters simply do not feel women can be trusted with the important task of gestation and birth....

I've had that feeling about humans generally.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby Serpent on April 10th, 2019, 10:37 am 

But the alternatives that have been tried are horrific, and some of the alternatives currently proposed would utterly halt human evolution.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby edy420 on April 10th, 2019, 6:57 pm 

Does anyone here believe that men should draft all legislation relating to human reproduction?

That depends if men are involved or not.

Pertaining to politics, the best persons for the job, should be involved with the legislation. How do you choose the right person? Sweden has chosen to make political parties 50% men and woman. The result is disastrous. Instead of the best person for the job, their politics are dictated by gender.

The only way you can have all woman, on the laws involved, is if you completely exclude men from all responsibility. I don't see that turning out the best for everyone.

In everyone of my child's creation, I was involved. I was also involved in every birth and now the raising of them. Should I be excluded from any of my wife's reproductive decisions (she doesn't think so). Clearly I am responsible for them? If not, then why.
edy420

Postby Serpent on April 10th, 2019, 7:57 pm 

edy420 » April 10th, 2019, 5:57 pm wrote:

That depends if men are involved or not.

What do you mean, involved? As far as I know, men are involved in every government on earth.
A proposed legislation has to be written up in the form of a bill, and in the draft stage, checked for congruence with the constitution and possible conflict with existing laws. Then its written up in the final form and presented to the legislative body - congress or house of parliament. Then the members all vote on it.

Nothing to do with your own personal reproductive activities: I'm asking about who should write the law.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby edy420 on April 11th, 2019, 2:02 am 

All men, or all woman, or 50/50?

What's the point. The best people to write laws that reflect societies needs, will be a mix of gender.
edy420

Previous

Return to Anything Philosophy