No more woman's world records. Trans community take over

General philosophy discussions. If you are not sure where to place your thread, please post it here. Share favorite quotes, discuss philosophers, and other topics.

Re: No more woman's world records. Trans community take over

Postby Lomax on November 15th, 2019, 8:51 pm 

edy420 » November 16th, 2019, 1:42 am wrote:I like to think that 90% of the men who transition from male to female would be considered by science, as male.. do you think I'm even close on this estimation?

I think it would depend at what stage of the transition each individual is measured. Of the six criteria I gave above, they'd all qualify with regard to "psychological identification". With endocrines and some secondary characteristics there is a question of where to draw the line. With genitalia (and reproductive organs? I don't know) it depends on sex reassignment surgery. The chromosomes won't change, but we don't tend to know or care what they were to begin with.

For clarity we should separate sex from gender here. A person saying they are female-gendered doesn't make them female-sexed (the case study here is Mary Gregory) and I would assume it's on the basis of sex, rather than gender, that sports are partitioned. As we've both acknowledged, you can either take the athlete's word for it or you can perform invasive procedures. So which will it be? I don't like either.
Lomax
Forum Administrator

Postby edy420 on November 15th, 2019, 8:56 pm 

I agree, but the public's eye provides a filtration and audit process.

If you look like a man, in a woman's division, the public will question and ask for scientific proof.
This did work for me, until I learned about intersex.. at which point we are left with personal preference and the trans ideology as the best way to define a persons gender.. heh I contradict myself.

*edit
Perhaps the problem is that sports divisions are not based on science etiher..
edy420

Postby Lomax on November 16th, 2019, 8:18 am 

edy420 » November 16th, 2019, 1:56 am wrote:Perhaps the problem is that sports divisions are not based on science etiher..

You're catching up ;)

If it's not too shameless of me, here's the article I wrote back in May (inspired by your thread):

Fight Like A Man

The site revamp removed all the links but I still have all the sources if needed. I don't much mind how the issue is resolved, provided it's resolved with some consideration and regard to fairness. The approach of the athletic commissions has so far been floundering, inconsistent, ad hoc and careless.
Lomax
Forum Administrator

Previous

Return to Anything Philosophy