Agree or Disagree?

General philosophy discussions. If you are not sure where to place your thread, please post it here. Share favorite quotes, discuss philosophers, and other topics.

Agree or Disagree?

Postby Keep_Relentless on November 1st, 2019, 6:09 am 

Philosophy is intuition informed by logic.
Keep_Relentless

Re: Agree or Disagree?

Postby charon on November 1st, 2019, 11:47 am 

Philosophy is the love of wisdom but wisdom is not something 'intuitive', it's the outcome of great clarity about the issue of living. Nor is it solely determined by logic although, by default, it is wholly logical.
charon

Keep_Relentless liked this post

Postby Serpent on November 1st, 2019, 12:29 pm 

Philosophy is intellectual engagement with the ordering of the human world. (Science is objective assessment of pre-existing order in the natural world; art is sensory and emotional interpretation of both.)
Philosophy may be informed by intuition, observation, received data, reason, experience, imagination, projection, illusion and disillusion; it requires the application of all available human faculties. It is also, perhaps, the only aspect of humanity that distinguishes the species from all other species.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby TheVat on November 1st, 2019, 1:12 pm 

A lot of what is called "intuition" (surely one of the vaguest catch-all terms known to man) is chains or webs of logical reasoning where all the steps are not visible to our consciousness. When we leap over several steps in this way, to form a sudden holistic picture, we like to call it intuition.

Philosophy, as the foremost meta-discipline (in that it is often about other ways of knowing), is a large and multi-branched area of human inquiry that, as Serpent notes, is informed by pretty much every faculty of the human mind. Since the analysis of large ideas, breaking them down into more graspable pieces, is a big part of philosophy, I would say that its dominant thrust is not intuitive. Intuition comes in where a philosopher might have a big idea, perhaps an hypothesis about how we know things or how we exist, and then he uses other tools to examine that initial intuitive leap and see if it is sound.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby -1- on November 7th, 2019, 12:08 am 

"Philosophy... is walk on a slippery rock, religion... is a smile on a dog." - Edie Brickell.

I view philosophy as a series of arguments where sides are based on subjective, emotional pre-convictions, and the discussion is endless. Sort of the battle between an immovable object, and an irresistable force... the two sides mesh, and slip through each other's arguments. That is, if both sides are fair, smart, and logical.

Questions of philosophy can't be settled by using logic, arguments, or reason. They can only be settled using brute force, the more brutal, the quicker the results.
-1-

Postby -1- on November 7th, 2019, 7:16 am 

Serpent » November 1st, 2019, 12:29 pm wrote:Philosophy ... is also, perhaps, the only aspect of humanity that distinguishes the species from all other species.

I bet frogs, tapeworms, gorillas, even condors, amoeba, and freezebees are all saying the same thing of themselves. A bet I am willing to lose, however impossible it is to prove or disprove.
-1-

Postby -1- on November 7th, 2019, 7:31 am 

Serpent » November 1st, 2019, 12:29 pm wrote:Philosophy is ... also, perhaps, the only aspect of humanity that distinguishes the species from all other species.

In 1985 I had a passenger flag down my taxi, and got in. He was a smoking man, and I told him I took him to be a Latino immigrant. He said, right, he fits the bill, a smoking Spick, his own words, and it turned out he was a professor of philosophy at the local university. I said, myself a smoker then, that the unsmoked life is not worth living. He laughed. I asked him to tell me what Kant was all about, which he kindly did, in a trip lasting seven and a half minutes -- hence my first foray into philosophical insight.

Another time another professor got into to my cab. An incredibly fine-mannered gentleman, the kind which pronounces "issue" with the s-sound and not the sh-sound. He was fine manner personified. When he told me he was a prof of philo, I told him that to my knowledge the ancient Greeks thought that there was one and only one definition to every concept, and they argued sometimes because two or more descriptions were equally fitting, such as "Humans are the social animals" and "humans are the tool making animals". I said both were false; some other animal species live forming social structures, and some animals use tools (although they don't make them.) I told him that I found the only and indisputably unique definition for humans: the only animal that wipes his ass after every shit. He laughed, and asked me if I were from Eastern Europe, what with my sense of rough-and-tough humour. Which I was / am.

So here you go. There are tons of humans-only characteristics extant to our knowledge.
-1-

Postby Serpent on November 7th, 2019, 10:49 am 

-1- » November 7th, 2019, 6:16 am wrote:
Serpent » November 1st, 2019, 12:29 pm wrote:Philosophy ... is also, perhaps, the only aspect of humanity that distinguishes the species from all other species.

I bet frogs, tapeworms, gorillas, even condors, amoeba, and freezebees are all saying the same thing of themselves. A bet I am willing to lose, however impossible it is to prove or disprove.

Every species has its own distinguishing feature(s), obviously. If ours isn't over-thinking life [philosophy], it may be self-destruction on a massive scale.
Humour isn't the exclusive domain of any species: I've known cats, dogs, goats, a crow, a squirrel and a donkey that enjoyed a joke - at different levels of sophistication, but all recognizably humour.
Dogs (and by association, probably other canids, as well) regularly drag their backside on grass or a Persian rug after defecating.
None, that I know of, smoke, but monkeys, elephants and pigs are susceptible to alcohol and wallabies get high on poppy pods, reindeer graze on mushrooms and we know about catnip. Who knows how many other intoxicants are consumed in the jungle, and by what other animals?
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby edy420 on November 7th, 2019, 5:36 pm 

The truth is in the eye of the beholder.

There's the generic explanation of, what is phylosophy. But if you ask 10 different philosophers, you will get 10 different answers. All touching on the most dominant truth, but with a bit of personal flavor added in.

My Contributjon to the main truth of, what is philosophy.. Philosophy is the perception of truth, a tool of which to understand the world that one exists in.

My issue with the tradition definition is.. Passionate philosophers will have a love for philosophy. But then, there are also people who are not passionate about philosophy, who still possess a certain level of philosophical 'intuition'.
edy420

Postby -1- on November 8th, 2019, 3:52 am 

Serpent » November 7th, 2019, 10:49 am wrote:Dogs (and by association, probably other canids, as well) regularly drag their backside on grass or a Persian rug after defecating.

No, not regularly. Only when they have a disease or the worms. If you take 100 dogs at random from the closely-cared-for dog population of a city in a rich, western-type democratic country, hardly even one does it, and not regularly.

This what you wrote is a common misconception. Yes, there are some, but it is not normal practice for a normal, healthy dog.
-1-

Postby -1- on November 8th, 2019, 3:59 am 

Serpent » November 7th, 2019, 10:49 am wrote: If ours isn't over-thinking life [philosophy], it may be self-destruction on a massive scale.

Obviously you haven't heard of the now extinct species, a type of Macoa monkeys of Sumatra-Borneo, which bit their own throats, severed their own heads, then tore their own hearts out, and then consumed their own bowels for dinner.

I haven't heard of these, either.
-1-

Postby Serpent on November 8th, 2019, 10:46 am 

-1- » November 8th, 2019, 2:59 am wrote:
Serpent » November 7th, 2019, 10:49 am wrote: If ours isn't over-thinking life [philosophy], it may be self-destruction on a massive scale.

Obviously you haven't heard of the now extinct species, a type of Macoa monkeys of Sumatra-Borneo, which bit their own throats, severed their own heads, then tore their own hearts out, and then consumed their own bowels for dinner.

I haven't heard of these, either.

I'm sure you had a point. Sorry I missed it.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby -1- on November 8th, 2019, 8:31 pm 

Serpent » November 8th, 2019, 10:46 am wrote:I'm sure you had a point. Sorry I missed it.

"Humour." One person's joke is another person's consternation.
-1-

Return to Anything Philosophy