On the denial of measured facts

General philosophy discussions. If you are not sure where to place your thread, please post it here. Share favorite quotes, discuss philosophers, and other topics.

Re: On the denial of measured facts

Postby bangstrom on January 23rd, 2021, 7:31 am 

hyksos » January 3rd, 2021, 5:53 pm wrote:A controversy has been swirling around the internet. The debate involves whether the discipline of philosophy affords a person validation and formal justification to deny measured facts. In this article I will be arguing that there is nothing in the canon of philosophy nor its subdisciplines that allows such denial.

I am not familiar with this controversy and I don’t know of any philosophical or scientific movement that finds justification in the denial of measured facts although I can think of several political or religious movements that are selective in what measured facts they accept or deny.

The problem I have with understanding your complaint is that, in your examples, I can’t find a single mention of a measured result that has been denied by anyone in the scientific or philosophical community.

The controversy appears to be about a lack of objectivity, reason, and truth in the interpretation of scientific or social data and not that anyone is denying any measured value or subjective observation which is the title of your thread and your stated complaint.

Am I missing something here?
bangstrom

Postby bangstrom on January 23rd, 2021, 3:09 pm 

Correction: In my previous post I meant to say objective or direct observation instead of "subjective" observation.
bangstrom

Postby hyksos on January 28th, 2021, 3:38 pm 

bangstrom » January 23rd, 2021, 11:09 pm wrote:Correction: In my previous post I meant to say objective or direct observation instead of "subjective" observation.

I have literally quoted the guilty parties referring to the objectivity in science as a mere "pretense".

You are not following up on the links I provide, nor investigating the writers I have listed by name.
hyksos

Postby bangstrom on January 29th, 2021, 12:40 am 

hyksos » January 28th, 2021, 2:38 pm wrote:
I have literally quoted the guilty parties referring to the objectivity in science as a mere "pretense".

Really? Who said that?

I am inclined to agree with the “guilty” parties that there is a lack of skepticism, especially in the soft sciences, where popular paradigms have a tendency to outweigh objectivity. By my reading, they characterize scientific objectivity more as a false assumption than as a deliberate “pretense.”

Questioning the interpretation of facts is not the same as questioning “measured” facts themselves. Astronomers say the sun has seven planets but I can name eight yet no one is denying that the former eighth planet does not exist.

hyksos » January 28th, 2021, 2:38 pm wrote:

You are not following up on the links I provide, nor investigating the writers I have listed by name.

I couldn’t find an example of a “measured” fact that was denied in the links you provided either. Perhaps there are none.
bangstrom

BadgerJelly liked this post

Postby charon on January 29th, 2021, 3:20 pm 

If a fact has been properly and correctly measured, anyone who denies it isn't paying attention. And probably isn't worth bothering with much.

Unless they're properly and correctly querying the measurement. Which is not the same as denial.
charon
Resident Member

Previous

Return to Anything Philosophy