Why this Mystery Spot Illusion?

Philosophical, mathematical and computational logic, linguistics, formal argument, game theory, fallacies, paradoxes, puzzles and other related issues.

Why this Mystery Spot Illusion?

Postby DragonFly on September 15th, 2017, 7:38 pm 

DragonFly
Resident Member

Re: Why this Mystery Spot Illusion?

Postby Braininvat on September 16th, 2017, 9:26 am 

I live 10 miles from Cosmo's. LOL - it's a bunch of architectural illusions that trick the eye and inner ear with false perspective. It's fun - good place to take kids (and soon, for us, grandkids). They usually hire theater majors from nearby colleges to give the tours, dramatizing the "mystery" of it all. Wow, never thought I'd see that mentioned here. Also, don't miss Bear Country USA, nearby. And the Reptile Gardens. The stone faces on the mountain nearby are kind of overhyped, however. But it was fun to see Cary Grant and Eva Marie Sainte clambering on them, or pretending to, in "North by Northwest."
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby DragonFly on September 16th, 2017, 1:01 pm 

It's a pretty good illusion to go from an inch taller to a head taller when so close to the other person on a level platform.
DragonFly
Resident Member

Postby rajnz00 on September 17th, 2017, 2:04 am 

Sure is. Here is another optical illusion, not so dramatic though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2lAqYZ6N5o
rajnz00

Postby rajnz00 on September 17th, 2017, 2:21 am 

I think the optical illusion is caused by the sloping rails in the background. They make the person on the left appear shorter than they really are compared to the person on the right or vice versa. I'm betting that Kristi is a good bit taller than Marie, or Mary or whatever her name is, though not as much as the optical illusion shows it to be.
rajnz00

Return to Logic