Total Solar Eclipse 21-Aug-2017 (USA)

Discussions ranging from space technology, near-earth and solar system missions, to efforts to understand the large-scale structure of the cosmos.

Total Solar Eclipse 21-Aug-2017 (USA)

Postby Darby on August 22nd, 2015, 3:36 am 

Darby

Re: Total Solar Eclipse 21-Aug-2017 (USA)

Postby someguy1 on August 22nd, 2015, 4:46 pm 

Yes, I'm planning to trek up to the Portland area for the event.

I have to. In 1970 or so (not sure of the exact year) I was a college student in New Jersey. There was a total eclipse visible from North Carolina. A couple of buddies and I drove down there and tried to find the spot. At the appointed moment we saw interference patterns in the sand dunes, one of the great memories of my life. But no totality! We were in the wrong spot by just a couple of miles!

So I have to make up for that. I'm on the left coast now so Portland it is. See you all up there in two years!
someguy1

Re: Total Solar Eclipse 21-Aug-2017 (USA)

Postby Braininvat on August 18th, 2017, 6:37 pm 

I saw the March 1970 eclipse, after taking a ferry to Nantucket to get into the path of totality. Profoundly moving experience. I was in middle school, went with a local astronomy club, so were all pretty much nuts with excitement. Then Carly Simon mentioned us in a song - well not specifically us, but someone who was so vain and in our general area.

Most of my life has been lived in this year's path of totality, in Missouri, Nebraska, and Oregon. Presently, we live a couple hours north of the path, and will drive down to Alliance, NE to watch there. People were booking motel rooms all along the path in Nebraska when Darby started this thread. Rooms that would normally go for $50 are rented for $300-plus. Alliance is a good spot, the climate is fairly arid and the chances of blue sky in August are very good. The chances of price-gouging merchants: 100%
Braininvat
Resident Member

Return to Astronomy & Cosmology