the mystery of Fast Radio Bursts

Discussions ranging from space technology, near-earth and solar system missions, to efforts to understand the large-scale structure of the cosmos.

the mystery of Fast Radio Bursts

Postby hyksos on September 2nd, 2017, 10:17 am 

In radio astronomy, a fast radio burst (FRB) is a high-energy astrophysical phenomenon of unknown origin manifested as a transient radio pulse lasting only a few milliseconds. The first FRB was discovered by Duncan Lorimer and his student David Narkovic in 2007.

Their distributions in the sky has no correlation with the galactic plane of the milky way. Every professional in astrophysics believes they must originate from outside our galaxy.

Whatever is producing these FRBs, it is releasing more energy in a second than our sun releases in a month.

Observational data shows that FRBs cannot be the deaths of stars or the collision of black holes, or some other rare (stochastic) event having to do with neutron stars. Why? Because they have come from the same place again and again, each time at equal strength.

Recent observations in Hawaii show that FRBs repeat at predictable intervals, and each burst is an exact multiple of the dispersion of the previous one. No physical phenomena known to astrophysics could create this pattern.

Has anyone entertained the idea that FRBs are produced by extra-terrestrial civilizations?

Yes, they have.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22630153-600-is-this-et-mystery-of-strange-radio-bursts-from-space/

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/sep/01/alien-search-detects-radio-signals-from-dwarf-galaxy-3bn-light-years-from-earth?CMP=fb_gu

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_radio_burst
hyksos

WatsonBraininvat liked this post

Re: the mystery of Fast Radio Bursts

Postby Braininvat on September 2nd, 2017, 1:01 pm 

Been hearing about these. The isotropic distrib suggests an extragalactic location to me. And the broad bandwidth says "natural cause, not aliens," unless those aliens are incredibly weird people who are simultaneously way up the Kardashev scale and yet don't really know how to send a clearcut intelligent signal.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Watson liked this post

Postby Watson on September 3rd, 2017, 11:47 am 

This is the edge of science I like hearing about, where new knowledge is gestating in the minds of young scientists eager to speak, at the risk of getting blasted for any audible speculations that may slip off a lip. Seems to me there was a time when this wouldn't even get a scientific mention, until there was some sort of explanation. Even here, such discussions were likened to 'counting fairs dancing on the head of a pin.' (And we all know there is only room for 5.)
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby Braininvat on September 3rd, 2017, 2:35 pm 

I've gotten 7 fairies on one pinhead. You have to pay them extra, and smoosh them together a little, but it's very doable.

I like the mystery of it. Albert E. had it right, IMO, when he said the greatest emotion a human could experience was a sense of the mysterious.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Return to Astronomy & Cosmology